Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone loading 300 BO with coated bullets?

I picked up 100 of these http://www.steelvalleycasting.com/300-blackout.html from a local vendor a couple months ago. I haven't loaded any up yet.

I'm also still working on getting a reliable, sub sonic expanding HP cast bullet going. Lots of testing to be done and so little time!
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Site Supporter
    Yes, I have been working with coated bullets for some time in 300 BLK.

One difference of note: make sure you are flaring the case a bit like pistol loading so you don't shave the coating off.

H&S bullets is a company local (to me in Utah) that does coated lead bullets that myself and many of the local USPSA shooters have been using for a few years. About a year or two ago he got the missouri bullet company 245 grain mold to look at getting into the blackout bullet market, but there was sadly not enough interest to continue to offer it. He has gotten a new (I would say better) 220 grain mold and will be selling them again. I will be picking 100 or so up the next time I go by to T&E, but assuming they work well, it should be another quality and fairly low cost option.

As far as powder goes, beyond the standard 1680 answer, I have had very good luck with both 5744 and the new CFEBLK. The CFE powder is cheaper many places than some of the other magnum pistol powder options, so I bought an 8 lb keg and am (very) slowly using that. At only 10.5-11 grains per load, I have quite a few rounds to go before using that up!

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    My suppressor finally came in and I think I'm ready to dive into the word of 300BO...

That being said I don't want to pay .45 a bullet for Sierras.

I'm looking for a supplier for 30 cal coated buls and some starting data for 300 BO subs. TIA!
    I have a metric ass ton of Palmetto Projectile coated bullets for 300 BLK. PM me your info if you want and I'll mail you a few hundred to try out. (No affiliation with them but they are local to me). I would give the leatherheadbullets a shot though as well. LL seems to have luck with them. With respect to LL's post, +1 on the 30 carbine powder die for proper case mouth expansion with coated projectiles. If you end up the cases sticking to the powder die (which almost feels like the press is stuck or caught on something) use some imperial sizing wax around the outside of the powder die, or just don't clean your brass as long. Either one works really. Additionally make sure that you check your new loads for proper stabilization without the suppressor/silencer on the gun. I am thankful that someone told me this because as I was working up my loads and at one point I ended up with signs of keyholing. It would seriously suck to jack up a new suppressor especially with the wait times these days.
    Last edited by Mike C; 05-31-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    Bummer, I'm sitting on 20# of TG that'll probably never use.
    I love TG for pistol! Where are you located, I am sure we can find a home for yours.
    #RESIST

What is the draw to use garbage bullets in a .300 BLK? Genuinely curious about the motivation behind it.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    What is the draw to use garbage bullets in a .300 BLK? Genuinely curious about the motivation behind it.
    Saving money using cast and coated lead bullets. Basically (in my case) being a #PoorFag .
    #RESIST

In all fairness I bought them when there was nothing else to be had, at least in my AO. Truth be told they shoot okay inside 100, I have so much of it I have to do something with it. If I could source larger quantities of jacketed stuff at reasonable rates I would. Really contemplating on setting the account on fire with some Speer 125gr TNT's they are on sale right now .20 a piece. I guess I can be lumped in with LL on this one, #PoorFag .

Define 'garbage' bullets. At pistol velocities, coated bullets represent awesome performance for the price. I may shoot many 10's of thousands of them - a year.

300BO subsonic is an excellent example. 300 BO supersonic get tricky as the velocities are can be at or a little beyond the capabilities of the coating.

I have run coated bullets successfuly in 30 Carbine at similar velocities (1600+ fps) for short runs, so optimistic but aware that here there may be dragons - compromizing coating, leading, clogging gas hole, etc. On the other hand there is significant economic advantage if you are shooting any kind of volumes.

For now I'm not shooting the volumes that would motivate more testing but I hope to get back to it.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I'm looking for a reliably expanding sub sonic hollow point load. I found a factory cartridge that looks promising but $2.00 a shot, I need something a little easier on the checking account.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 06-01-2017 at 06:25 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I'm looking for a reliably expanding sub sonic hollow point load. I found a factory cartridge that looks promising but $2.00 a shot, I need something a little easier on the checking account.
    How far out? LL posted something a while back about a company that made some pretty heavy jacketed HP projectiles. I think they were expensive but no where near $2 loaded. I found the link he posted. These looked promising: http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html
    Last edited by Mike C; 06-01-2017 at 06:56 AM.

User Tag List