Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Yes, another f***ing SHOE post

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Keen sandals unless it's cold and then Lowa boots
    Keen and Chacos. (But the most comfortable were an inexpensive pair of Hi-Tecs.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I just bought a pair of Columbia Peakfreaks that I quite like. I got a hell of a deal and they are waterproof....

Columbia Men's Peakfreak Xcrsn II Xcel Low Outdry Hiking Shoe, Shark, Blaze, 10 D US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7DI06O..._bd5lzbSH4R89S

I'm also partial to Clarks slip on casual shoes for work. I just bought a new pair after my three year old set finally had to be replaced.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 05-31-2017 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I wear leather work boots during the week, year 'round at least 12hrs/day and sometimes 24+. Usually on a Texas construction site. 4yrs ago I changed to Wigwam durasole socks and I've had little problem with foot stench. I also make sure to wash my feet very well. I have a few pairs of Darn Tough wool for hiking and they work well.

If you can wring out your socks at the end of the day there's no getting around 1) buying a good boot drier or 2) having two pairs of boots along with a boot drier so you can alternate day to day. You'll never manage the stench if they stay damp from day to day. Washing them out periodically is also important. Look into vinegar solutions or added to your washer.

Another wide foot, here. I get as many Es on the end as I can, usually 4E and 5E.

Athletic: I prefer the New Balance Minimus series for running. The low or no heel rise is much more natural. Merrell Trail Gloves and Vibram FFs are too thin for the trails I like. Not a big pavement runner these days.
    Work boot: Thorogood all the way. Love the wedge soles on concrete all day long. Only recently has Danner made wide sizes and their 2E is too narrow. They have some wider ones but I've not tried yet. Don't really need to.
    Range boot: Belleville 390 is good combo of wide enough, reasonable weight and breathes a bit.
    Insole: Superfeet Orange. I go up one size due to my wide feet--easy to trim length to fit shoe.
    Casual: New Balance, Sanuk, Propet (the non-grandpa looking models), Merrell. My choices are very limited.

Brands I haven't found a truly wide size in: Vasque, Ahnu, Keen, Lowa, Meindl, Asolo, Salomon, Inov8, all the new low heel tac boots like Reeboks, Nike, etc. Thank the Lord for New Balance!

Yes, another f***ing SHOE post

I tried a set of Superfeet in the hiking boots I'd bought for my Philmont trek with the Boy Scouts (68 miles, 10 days, starting 6,600', to Mt Phillips at 10k elevation or so).

They sucked. I literally was in pain during the so-called break-in period the sales attendant told me about. I was neither high speed nor low Drag enough, outdoors wise, to put up with them.

Those of you with flat feet, do Superfeet work eventually?

I admit the trek was the hardest thing I ever did, physically, but it was not due to the boots, which IIRC were high-top Lowas.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-01-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I tried a set of Superfeet in the hiking boots I'd bought for my Philmont trek with the Boy Scouts (68 miles, 10 days, starting 6,600', to Mt Phillips at 10k elevation or so).

They sucked. I literally was in pain during the so-called break-in period the sales attendant told me about. I was neither high speed nor low Drag enough, outdoors wise, to put up with them.

I admit the trek was the hardest thing I ever did, physically, but it was not due to the boots, which IIRC were high-top Lowas.
    I liked Superfeet from day one. I use the green in my walking, hiking shoes. I use the blue in my lifting shoes. Never had a problem with either even with my flat feet. Maybe it's a flexibility thing but the high arch actually feels good to my feet and without the support I over pronate.

As I mentioned, the Oboz Bridger and Ahnu Ridgecrest I currently wear do not require the Superfeet as they come with great OEM insoles.
    In my Rockport "Step Boldly" slip-on's I had to replace the flimsy insoles.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The best thing I've found for my flat feet was shoes with no arch support. I never had any problems with my feet until doctors tried to fix me with shoes with an ass load of arch support. Imagine that, taking your bodies natural physical state and forcing/molding it into something else it wasn't meant to be like caused a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    When I was still running, Brooks were my favorites. I still use them for working out. I have flat feet as well but I actually like the feeling of high arch support. Go figure.
    It's funny how people are different. I think this is one thing a lot of doctors fail to recognize. Everyone doesn't fit into one mold. Like I said above, I never had a problem with my flat feet until doctors tried to fix me. High arch support shoes caused me all sorts of problem. I went to shoes with no arch support and my problems vanished. My feet are flat as a board too fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have wide, flat feet too. Shoes with arch support, or even a minimal bump where the arch would be if I had one, are painful. Superfeet felt awful. For me, I remove the OE insole and use a Dr. Scholls insert instead. I also have a hard time finding boots that are wide enough. Danner Striker GTX boots fit me well. Other Danner boots on a different last aren't wide enough. My Dad also has flat feet. He wore orthotics for years, and as a result has terrible problems with his feet now, at nearly 80.

Since i wear orthotics full time, I use the "flattest" insoles I can find, and replace them regularly. I often wind up buying "standard" insoles and trimming them so that they cause minimum upset to the orthotics.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List