Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yes, another f***ing SHOE post

Merino wool socks, all day, every day.

Shoe Goo is cheap and works great.

The only pair of boots that have survived everyday wear, for more than a year, for me, have been my Dr Martin's 'For Life', but if you think Keen's are heavy, they weight about twice as much.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RolandD; 05-30-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Merrells are well known to be low-durability shoes by others and myself through experience, not recommended if you want something to last; I treat them as disposable shoes.

I know people hate to hear that sometimes but they aren't affordable popular shoes because they're built like tanks.
    Last edited by Peally; 05-30-2017 at 08:50 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Have you tried a pair of Ecco's for daily work use?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Merrells are well known to be low-durability shoes by others and myself through experience, not recommended if you want something to last; I treat them as disposable shoes.

I know people hate to hear that sometimes but they aren't affordable popular shoes because they're built like tanks.
    This. My Ventilator lows and GTX Mids both started delaminating the outsoles after about a month. Shoe goo worked for a while.....but the GTx booties gave out in the Mids after a couple more months. Not fun on a two hour hike in the rain with the dog...... disaster if you were camping or far from home.

Yes, another f***ing SHOE post

For hikers I've had awesome luck with Lowa Renegade and Zephyr. Although the last pair I bought felt a bit narrower than previous units.

Have a pair of black Renegades that Ive worn with a dark suit and not a soul noticed.

Running/walking and gym use I've had success with Brooks Acadias.

Both these brands work with my custom orthotics, superfeet or factory insoles.
    Last edited by TAZ; 05-30-2017 at 11:52 PM.

I'm seeing a lot of recommendations by people who apparently can't conceive of what over-pronating does to your body...

I suggest researching shoes, especially running shoes, designed for pronators, and/or for "motion control."

My go-to for most of my Army career was New Balance 99x shoes, designed for "big boys", especially those with, you guessed it, over-pronation issues.

You want a shoe that is designed with a straight last; and probably with a fairly stiff sole. The Ortho/Pod I went to said if you can easily bend the shoe so the tow touches the heel it is too flexible, ergo (SWIDT?) not supportive enough.
    Except he was a lot ruder about it than that.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    I had a pair of Gel Kayano's that I loved, but I went to replace them the new ones were $160+ so I didn't even bother trying them on. I wound up with a pair of Brooks Ghost which seem to offer similar cushioning and support for me. I also bought into the hype and got a pair of Hoka Odysseys. I wore them around the house for a few days to break them in before joggingg in them and have had no problems. Their claim to fame is light weight due to removing padding around the upper, while having plenty of cushioning in the sole. Not sure if it makes sense for use on an elliptical... I'm around 170 lb and jog no more than around 5 miles at a time so ymmv.

For hikers I love Vasque but all that I have used are for backpacking and were very not breathable. I got a pair of skywalks in high school and after about 8 years they developed a leak I didn't bother getting them fixed but continued to use them for mountain biking and hiking in dry weather for probably another 8 years. I finally got rid off them after the plastic eyelets started to break off. The new ones are all metal so they should last. I replaced them for winter use with sundowners and they're still trucking along after 20 years, but they haven't gotten as much use in the last 10 years now that I'm living in TX.

Anything less than metal eyelets is communism.

Seriously, fuck fabric eyelets. Aside from delamination those are the primary reason I have shoes fail, and they're pretty damn hard to repair if it's even possible.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I guess I've had good luck with Merrell Moab's then (or I'm pussyfooting). My first Gore Tex pair lasted ten years of weekend climbing trips. My second pair is still kicking after two. It is my dedicated hiking shoe though, not my eery day kicks. My Merrell Trail Gloves are still kicking after a year or two but I treadmill more than I trail run these days. Merino wool socks stop the stink in the summer.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Another vote for Merrell Moabs. Work great in the AZ desert.

User Tag List