Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Stock Glocks Any Good?

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM9 View Post
    It is intended to provide a place for water, snow, dirt and assorted other gunk drop free from the action as the Glock operates. It is intentionally put there.
    That's one version, and the official party line one. Considering the country of origin, the original military of intention (Austria), and initial military contracts (Norway and Sweden), it makes sense

A concurrent/alternative possibility is for reasons of molding/manufacturing simplicity.

When you move to hotter, dustier climates, or environments where there is a real likelihood of high-velocity particulate matter being forcibly introduced into the area (i.e., from sandstorms, dust/dirtstorms, or rotor wash), the cavity becomes a chute in a bad sense-channeling the junk into the action component areas, potentially inducing operational issues.

This was famously (or infamously) publicized in Larry Vicker's sandbag test with a early G21, where a G21 (and several other pistols; the HK USP and Colt 1911A1 come to mind) were put in a sandbag with the finest of Fort Bragg/Fayetteville NC sand, shaken, and then attempted to be fired. The results with the G21 weren't pretty. Vickers, not a G21 fan, proceeded to make some other snarky comments about other G21 issue areas (which had probably actually been dealt with before Vicker's comments), but his basic finding I believe to be correct-use a butt plug to preclude crap from jamming up the works if there's a likelihood of such stuff being introduced, and things will likely be much better.

It took me awhile to be a convert, but now all of my Glocks get a plug as a matter of course. The plug precludes stuff, including snow and ice from getting in, and if the weapon is immersed in water, there still should be adequate drain points, or it's easy enough to quickly field-strip and shake things out.

And yes, it can be easy to get things up the cavity-last year, when hunting in the Pacific NW, with the G21 as back-up in a tactical thigh holster, when sitting down during a break, the gun's hilt was jammed into the mud. The plug nicely precluded any from entering.

Even if your Glock is only used for concealed carry or shot in an environmentally controlled range, the plug can prevent insidious dust bunnies or other debris from potentially becoming introduced into the operating mechanism of the gun-which is probably a far greater potential reality than snow and ice. And it's not like the silly things cost an arm and a leg, or require gunsmith installation.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-30-2017 at 02:33 PM.

PensFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    You knew what I meant, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know, but sadly there's a big misconception that Glock is cerakoting slides at the factory and reassembling them (sometimes) incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Fills the hole in the back of the grip.
    Phrasing, please.

I like Glocks. They were made for soldiers so they had to be robust and simple and they accomplish that very well. However, I do not like the el cheapo tupperw@re sights and the spongy sploink of the trigger.

My standard work on my Glocks is:

1. Dawson sights
    2. 3.5lb connector (ghost/zev)
    3. 5lb firing pin spring (wolf)
    4. I remove and polish all the metal trigger components till they can be used as a shaving mirror (dremel & ally polish)
    5. Wolf barrel ..... to deal with my reloads

Can I give you a tip? Many years ago in the military it was a not shouted about fact that the belt fed gunners used to wash their crap collecting components in hot water and magically the carbon fouling would easily rub away. I strip and wash my Glocks in hot water regularly - JUST MAKE SURE TO DRY AND OIL THEM AFTERWARDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuteur View Post
    I like Glocks. They were made for soldiers so they had to be robust and simple and they accomplish that very well. However, I do not like the el cheapo tupperw@re sights and the spongy sploink of the trigger.

My standard work on my Glocks is:

1. Dawson sights
    2. 3.5lb connector (ghost/zev)
    3. 5lb firing pin spring (wolf)
    4. I remove and polish all the metal trigger components till they can be used as a shaving mirror (dremel & ally polish)
    5. Wolf barrel ..... to deal with my reloads

Can I give you a tip? Many years ago in the military it was a not shouted about fact that the belt fed gunners used to wash their crap collecting components in hot water and magically the carbon fouling would easily rub away. I strip and wash my Glocks in hot water regularly - JUST MAKE SURE TO DRY AND OIL THEM AFTERWARDS.
    You clean your glocks?

The opposite can be said also can't it? Any space for shit to get into your gun is bad... anyone who has been to Iraq or Afghanistan knows exactly what I'm talking about.. I know quite a few high end trainers and users of glock that all suggest a grip plug as a mod that is a no brainer..

I was merely explaining what the intention was behind the design, not how effective, useful or functional it is.
    Last edited by ShooterM9; 05-30-2017 at 02:48 PM.

You clean your glocks?
    Seriously. That $h1+ will get you KILT ON DA STREETZ. Your GLOCK needs a minimum of 15,000 rounds between field stripping to be considered reliable. Get with it, brother.

You clean your glocks?
    I used to be a soldier, nuff said.

Story: I did the Glock armorer course at Daytona Beach public safety. I asked the instructor about the rust resistability of the coating on the slide, (the name of which I forget) during the lunch break, and he told me it is pretty damn bulletproof - rust proof even.

When I gave him my best dubious look he told me to shoot the gun, and put it away for as long as possible and if it rusted he would arrange a new one for me - and gave me his business card to reinforce the point. Two weeks later I was at Bill Rogers place, put 2500 rounds through my 17, did'nt clean it once, it was dripping with crap, put it back in its box and locked it away - as it happened I took delivery of my first 34 just after the course so I could afford to do without the 17. Six months later I opened the box and found not one speck of rust. Impressed the hell out of me.
    Last edited by Chuteur; 05-30-2017 at 02:52 PM.

I'm with Jon. The space in question is almost certainly an artifact of design for manufacturing and any functional benefit (or detriment) that it provides is secondary.

Mine get different sights, Glock extended slide releases, smooth triggers (for G19/G26), Vickers mag release. A few have the Apex firing pin safety and minus connectors. I could live with a box stock Glock if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuteur View Post
    I used to be a soldier, nuff said.
    So you learned the best way to clean an M16 barrel was with carb cleaner and a brass bore brush on the end of a rod attached to a corded drill? That's what they taught me at Knox when it was time to get our rifles ready for final inspection for graduation. Little wonder they all shot like muskets...

Seriously, though, IMHO the military in general and the Army specifically teaches folks to over clean and under lube - the first bad for longevity, the latter bad for reliability. I'll never forget the first range session I attended at my last team. Our Mk18s were maintained SPOTLESSLY, and were lubed PRECISELY per FM standards - the lightest, molecule thin layer of CLP on the bolts, otherwise damn near dry. After 10 minutes of repeated reliability issues, the crusty old Senior Chief SEAL grabbed a gallon bottle of CLP, and told everyone to clear their rifles and lock the bolts to the rear. He then proceeded to generously "glug" lube into the open chamber. After repeatedly working the actions, we reloaded, and proceeded to shoot - with 100% reliability. My Marines were absolutely apoplectic - damn near twitching while they watched CLP ooze out of the actions. But those carbines ran like raped apes.

Again, not suggesting we douse our stuff in lube and holster up wet, just that either extreme becomes illogical...

I'll now return us to our regularly scheduled discussion. My Glocks get Ameriglo sights, OEM smooth faced trigger/trigger bar assemblies, and Vickers magazine releases. And butt plugs. Otherwise stock.
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 05-30-2017 at 03:41 PM.

User Tag List