Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Stock Glocks Any Good?

Site Supporter
    One thing no company has done yet is exactly match the dimensions of the glock 19. I know some are close (real close) but they always end up a couple of tenths thicker or taller. It's still the industry leader in size vs capacity/ shoot ability. Those tenths add up when concealment matters.

I still don't understand why a project manager at another company hasn't told his engineers to go back to the drawing table until they come up with a design that is identical or slightly smaller in every dimension while maintaining a fifteen rd. capacity? Why? I are befuddled.

The other major feature that keeps me with Glocks is the polymer magazine. Metal rusts down here in the Deep South and I ain't got time to deal with corrosion on mags. On a similar note I've managed to rust (in spots) all of my mid 2000 Austrian glock slides a bit with my xenomorph-like sweat. Once the tennifer is gone slide corrosion is a never ending fight.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 05-30-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    One thing no company has done yet is exactly match the dimensions of the glock 19. I know some are close (real close) but they always end up a couple of tenths thicker or taller. It's still the industry leader in size vs capacity/ shoot ability. Those tenths add up when concealment matters.

I still don't understand why a project manager at another company hasn't told his engineers to go back to the drawing table until they come up with a design that is identical or slightly smaller in every dimension while maintaining a fifteen rd. capacity? Why? I are befuddled.

The other major feature that keeps me with Glocks is the polymer magazine. Metal rusts down here in the Deep South and I ain't got time to deal with corrosion on mags. On a similar note I've managed to rust (in spots) all of my mid 2000 Austrian glock slides a bit with my xenomorph-like sweat. Once the tennifer is gone slide corrosion is a never ending fight.
    Sir, I respect your point and your position, but ... I have spent YEARS using Glocks and God-knows-what-else handguns and I would suggest, if you get a chance, you check out the the HK VP9SK, and particularly, if possible, use it with a 15 round VP9 magazine with a mag extension spacer in it. I find it absolutely superb and until I did...I shared your opinion. If anything is a G19 killer it is this one, save for the price point.

Trigger: superior.
    Ergos: superior.
    Sights: superior.
    Mag options: superior.
    Grip: superior.

Give it a try...you can thank me later.

Unless of course you are one of those poor souls who is a Glock fanboy who is more into a brand than into guns.

I, and a lot of people, find the two fingered grip with an extension on the magazine to be most revolting.

Fail: HK VP9sk.

If they make a VP9K that uses 13 round USP 9c/P2000 mags, Glock will be in trouble.

With the exception of some with a Grip Force Adapter, all my Glocks are stock. Well I add sights but that's to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I, and a lot of people, find the two fingered grip with an extension on the magazine to be most revolting.

Fail: HK VP9sk.

If they make a VP9K that uses 13 round USP 9c/P2000 mags, Glock will be in trouble.
    VP9K is doubtful unless they adopt the P2000 style frontstrap as well (sans finger grooves). The VP9SK is a VP9 grip with the pinky groove chopped off. If they tried to make a K the grip would end right in the middle of the finger groove. Might not be a bad thing with a P2000 magazine with the pinky extension but would you really gain a lot in concealment?
    Last edited by MSparks909; 05-30-2017 at 09:40 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    This is the absolute truth. A lot of Glock quirks have had "Just So" stories attached to them over the years so as to impress the people in charge of filling the cop holsters in Possum Gulch, East Cackalacky with the SPECIAL OPERATIONS pistol that they were buying for their po-po.
    Ooooh, how true. There is so much nose tapping, sly winks and hints at "I know about an SF team who.................." in the gun sales world it is unbelievable.

Some friends, one being a well known defence journo, and myself, used to concoct serious bs sometimes just to see how long it would take to go full circle for the defence journo to get a tip/email/phonecall about an amazing new technique/widget/firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM9 View Post
    It is intended to provide a place for water, snow, dirt and assorted other gunk drop free from the action as the Glock operates. It is intentionally put there.
    Larry V. often says that he is convinced the sights the Glocks come with are merely plastic placeholders for the actual sights you will install.

He did teach me a good trick to use...black out the white on the rear sight, focus on covering the lower 1/3 of the front dot with the rear "notch" and ... bingo ... much better results. Definitely works.

I always have replaced the Glock's stock sights.

Now..does this mean a Glock is not "good enough" with stock sights? Nope...ask everyone who has been shot and/or killed with a stock Glock how "good enough" it is.

All a matter of keeping things in perspective and not becoming SO hung up on the "trees" of gear that you lose sight of the "forest" of what is and is not effective/competent shooting.
    This guy totally nailed it!

I was deeply into Glock handguns until the day arrived when I had a "lightbulb" moment and I had to ask myself why I was spending SO much money to make the Glock not a Glock. Anything you could do to a Glock to make it more FILL IN THE BLANK I did, on a Glock 34, 17 and 19: triggers, grip angle, grip modification, trigger work out the wazooo.

I moved over to another brand of handgun which for me was best for me.

I too could not longer justify spending a TON of money on a $500-$600 handgun that was, out of the box, perfectly capable of doing what it was designed to do.

I've never looked back.

But I will ALWAYS recommend folks consider a Glock 19 in 9mm as their first serious handgun when they get interested in shooting. The Glock just works.
    Sir, I respect your point and your position, but ... I have spent YEARS using Glocks and God-knows-what-else handguns and I would suggest, if you get a chance, you check out the the HK VP9SK, and particularly, if possible, use it with a 15 round VP9 magazine with a mag extension spacer in it. I find it absolutely superb and until I did...I shared your opinion. If anything is a G19 killer it is this one, save for the price point.

Unless of course you are one of those poor souls who is a Glock fanboy who is more into a brand than into guns.
    Good one, you had me going there for a bit.

I think that Glock sights are far superior. Super easy to remove, probably only added a few cents to the cost of the pistol, and there are eleventy billion different aftermarket Glock sights available in every conceivable configuration.

I can work with the stock sights if I have to but it is good to replace them. I replace nothing else on a Glock -- except the striker plate, with an SCD. I think that the SCD is important enough that I would prefer not to carry a Glock without it -- or said another way, absent an SCD, there are other guns I would rather carry.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter

Trigger: subjective.
    Ergos: subjective.
    Sights: subjective.
    Mag options: beats me.
    Grip: subjective.

So everyone on the forum who has tried the VP9SK but still shoots a Glock is nothing but a fanboy. Got it. HK is the choice of all serious gun people. Got it. I am now convinced I should never shoot an HK because selling the 1911s and buying a bunch of HK pistols and all the crap to go with them sounds expensive and like a major pain in the ass.

User Tag List