Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marine Corps has a “toxic masculinity” problem

The Marine Corps has a “toxic masculinity” problem

I couldn't let this gem go by. As someone who has a daughter currently serving, and is sensitive to sex-based harassment in our armed forces, I have to ask – isn't "toxic masculinity" what we're essentially looking for in our military???

The Marine Corps has a “toxic masculinity” problem

Good Lord...you couldn't make this stuff up even if you tried.

Call me old fashioned, call me over the hill (thank you Bob Seager)...but, no, I do not believe women belong in combat units, period. Yes, we want the Marines to be a "fraternity" of "brothers in arms."

From the article:

The Marines’ reaction was to be expected, though. The corps acts like a fraternity, according to Emerald Archer, an expert on women’s advancement at Mount St. Mary’s University in California. Many Marines, she said, believe that integrating women would ruin that brotherhood.

Those who work with Marines agree. There’s a “toxic masculinity culture” in the Marine Corps, James Joyner, a professor at the Marine Command and Staff College, told me.

That may be what is at the core of the women-in-infantry debate among Marine ranks: the identity crisis of a historically macho club now being forced to let in women.

Now that the Marine Corps must allow women to serve in combat roles — and is putting out recruiting commercials highlighting that fact — it tears at the social fabric of the service. That has led many to act out, some anonymously, online.
    Last edited by ShooterM9; 05-30-2017 at 06:19 AM.

More media BS.

I remember when the press went apeshit over "DADT ending". To hear the hipster TV hosts tell it, the very esprit de corps of the US military was in terminal danger of epic destruction at the end of the policy.

Reality was much less dramatic ratings fodder of course. Truth is you can't work next to someone for years on end and NOT know who they are or their preferences in mates. Guess what, no one gave a shit. The bad guys didn't care a whit about our sexual identity either. There's no room for bigotry or racism or any other "ism" in a foxhole- wartime demands have a way of moving people past those issues in a hurry.
    So while the bosses and politicians strutted and peacocked about "DADT ending" the troops just shook our heads and got the job done.

So it is here- just gone deaf journalism majors looking for a story.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I love the authorities on the Corps he quoted.
    #RESIST

First, Vox is anti-white/male/LE/MIL/right/life/etc just like Salon, NYP, WaPo, etc are "fake news".

Second, Alex Ward is the textbook definition of beta-male, not only is his opinion worthless, it stems from being weak as fuck and should be instantly disregarded.

Third, this is America, we define what it means to be free and what it means be patriotic. If a woman wants to serve her country, give her life for her country and everything in between, in my opinion, we should let them do it. Do I want to see women and men in the same units in combat units? No. Do I want to see women doing things that they aren't biologically built to do? No. Do I believe women have a very legitimate role in society as mothers and should focus on home making/child rearing? Yes. Even still, I believe in America and our brand of freedom. If women want to do what men do and meet every criteria and requirement then yes, go for it and do your country proud. There are plenty of solid examples of female soldiers and police officers, they are Americans just like any other citizen.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM9 View Post
    Those who work with Marines agree. There’s a “toxic masculinity culture” in the Marine Corps, James Joyner, a professor at the Marine Command and Staff College, told me.
    I really hope they fire this turd.

They use the toxins to burn the enemy's faces off.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

None of these so called reporters ever mention that throughout history there has been a reason why women generally were not found in combat. Aside from the physical differences there is an inherent survival reason too. In the course of 9 months one women can produce one child. In that same 9 month period one man can impregnate scores of women. (Tough job but someone has to do it. ) Now through progress we are willing to send our women to war and burn our food supply as fuel.

Site Supporter
    I was taught growing up that men should protect women (and children). Even though there are many very capable women, that's generally how young men were trained to think in past generations -- right or wrong. And I don't consider myself sexist for being raised that way. I encourage women to gain the ability to protect themselves, but when I am with my wife, daughter, or granddaughter I still feel a responsibility for their protection.

I sometimes wonder how that learned behavior/instinct will translate to combat situations in which women fight alongside men. It would not surprise me to learn that the men took great risks to protect the women -- even in cases where the women are respected. Also, how will the men's morale be affected when women start becoming casualties?

Or, I could be way off base. Perhaps the men in such situations would think "hey she wanted to be here, so be it" ?

Site Supporter
    Retired Army male here - I had no problem working with those "toxic masculinity Marines" - always slept good at night knowing they had our flank.

User Tag List