Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transitional Areas, Good info from Greg Ellifritz

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's really easy for me to fall into the "galloping for the barn door" mentality on arriving home. The last turn into the alley, hitting the garage door opener, and parking the car, my natural instinct is to be already planning out how many trips I'm going to make carrying the groceries in or whatever...

I have to force myself to stop and look around before opening the door, then do a good mirror check before closing it and unloading the car. Fortunately I seem to have largely shed the habit of unloading the car with the overhead door still open.
    Get an elastic-trician to mount a couple of LED security lights outside - not pointed at your car so you don't get blinded - wire them into the delayed lighting circuit that most garage door openers have. Bad things don't like light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    My job has me in and out of my car all night long and a couple of the places I have to get out of the car are literally dark, deserted alleys. I make it a habit to unbuckle the seat belt pulling in and not to sit in the car once it stops. I get out and get moving.

I also have an acute sense of smell there have been a couple of times where I knew someone was there as soon as I got out of the car because I could smell the cigarette smoke.

It's not quite the same thing but when I have to check a stairwell I alway check top to bottom because if there's anyone in there I want to be coming down to them instead of up to them.
    Our police cars in the UK had twin led spots mounted up top next to the blue light array. If you drove into a dark confine you flicked the switch and had instant all around lighting - plenty of cheap vehicle LED's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuteur View Post
    Get an elastic-trician to mount a couple of LED security lights outside - not pointed at your car so you don't get blinded - wire them into the delayed lighting circuit that most garage door openers have. Bad things don't like light.
    I have several motion-activated, solar-powered LED lights mounted in the driveway. They automatically light up when I drive up.

If they do not do so, I consider it one of those things you LEO's refer to as "clues" and drive away to ponder options.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have several motion-activated, solar-powered LED lights mounted in the driveway. They automatically light up when I drive up.

If they do not do so, I consider it one of those things you LEO's refer to as "clues" and drive away to ponder options.
    You can get those LED motion activated arrays with a wi-fi camera built into the PIR box - very discrete(L*wes I think). Lots of different wi-fi cameras around now, you can answer your front door bell from the other side of the planet nowadays, or you can sit around the corner and do a visual of your castle on your smartphone before you even roll up.

I have been think of something along those lines. I have chatted with some of the security folks are work, and and going to ply them with strong drink the next time they visit Rancho Serious. Hopefully they will be sober enough to spec out a system for me.

Good article.

I think you'll find the danger of transitional areas backed up in whatever line of work you're in, too. In my line of work, 3/4 of attacks on protectees occur in vicinity of the vehicle....so when getting in or out.

Similarly, in general LE, there's a tendency for attacks to happen at the sally port.

I'd be willing to bet that a significant number of work accidents with heavy machinery happen at the end of shift when you're securing your equipment, as well.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's really easy for me to fall into the "galloping for the barn door" mentality on arriving home. The last turn into the alley, hitting the garage door opener, and parking the car, my natural instinct is to be already planning out how many trips I'm going to make carrying the groceries in or whatever...

I have to force myself to stop and look around before opening the door, then do a good mirror check before closing it and unloading the car. Fortunately I seem to have largely shed the habit of unloading the car with the overhead door still open.
    Roughly two years ago, there was a trio of urban yoots practicing this sort of robbery a touch east of your AO. They were targeting females as well.

Fortunately, they were also stupid and a certain detective rolled them up after their second night of shenanigans. Unfortunately, given their ages and histories it would not surprise me a bit if they were out on some sort of pretend-to-monitor release by now.

Excellent article.

In my 33+ years of big-city police patrolling, I have seen the aftermath of many similar events.

At our home, where I had no part in the design of anything, I park in the open. There is no place for an intruder to hide near the entrance door. If/When we move to a dream home, with a larger amount of land surrounding the house, where I will have a say in the design, I will want to park, of course, in the open; more open than now. Shelter from the rain may be part of the equation, but I want an attacker to have to approach/engage me from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Excellent article.

In my 33+ years of big-city police patrolling, I have seen the aftermath of many similar events.

At our home, where I had no part in the design of anything, I park in the open. There is no place for an intruder to hide near the entrance door. If/When we move to a dream home, with a larger amount of land surrounding the house, where I will have a say in the design, I will want to park, of course, in the open; more open than now. Shelter from the rain may be part of the equation, but I want an attacker to have to approach/engage me from a distance.

Don't have any shrubbery near the house then, keeping a clear open space from the walls so that people cannot lurk.

There is a police special ops surveillance unit in the UK who have been known to sneak in at night and set up OP's in the gardens of the target villain. They were trained by the SAS originally and have now, with years of experience, developed some serious expertise in very discrete close observation techniques.

I also helped out a large US city PD sniper instructor with some bits and pieces. He makes it his business to keep things interesting and assists various detective and uniform departments by deploying his guys as close observation and physical support for operations. That mainly means his guys wear their ghillie suits and lurk in the dirt and hedges very close to locations where certain exchanges of money for controlled goods may happen.

The point I am making, probably badly, is that you need as clear an open space as possible, preferably with an instant daylight facility if you are rolling up in the dark hours.
    Last edited by Chuteur; 05-31-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Good article.

I think you'll find the danger of transitional areas backed up in whatever line of work you're in, too. In my line of work, 3/4 of attacks on protectees occur in vicinity of the vehicle....so when getting in or out.

Similarly, in general LE, there's a tendency for attacks to happen at the sally port.

I'd be willing to bet that a significant number of work accidents with heavy machinery happen at the end of shift when you're securing your equipment, as well.
    On a 4 month plus individual deployment it was practice that we used to do the handover to our replacement and then for the last 7 days stay inside the wire. Statistics showed that it was the time most people were bounced, the powers that be reckoned it was because people started to day dream abut going home.

User Tag List