Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off-topic "gun guy" vs. "shooter" discussion (split from LAV DA/SA thread)

Off-topic "gun guy" vs. "shooter" discussion (split from LAV DA/SA thread)

The fierce, dare I say, nearly psychotic level of loyalty to one particular trigger group or brand is amusing. Or, it would be, were it not kind of disturbing. If a person is fanatically attached to one specific handgun brand or trigger action, he is not really a "gun guy" but a brand guy.
    Last edited by ShooterM9; 05-28-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM9 View Post
    The fierce, dare I say, nearly psychotic level of loyalty to one particular trigger group or brand is amusing. Or, it would be, were it not kind of disturbing. If a person is fanatically attached to one specific handgun brand or trigger action, he is not really a "gun guy" but a brand guy.
    Well...... in fairness, there is a difference between being committed to what is proven to work well for you and being a brand/action fanatic. Not so easy to see that line on the internet, though.

Anyway, I'd rather be a shooter than a gun guy ;-)
    Last edited by s0nspark; 05-28-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: ugh. grammar
    "A man's character is his fate."

What are the upsides to being a "gun guy" with a pile of various makers and trigger types vs the person who only owns and shoots a Glock 26, 19, and 17?

I'm neither of the above, BTW, I'm just not following the "you aren't a real gun guy if" logic of thinking.

There are "geardos" and there are serious shooters.

If you have to ask what the difference is.....

There are "geardos" and there are serious shooters.

If you have to ask what the difference is.....

I didn't ask what the difference is, I asked what the upside is to being a "gun guy" as you laid it out. You talk about it like you wear it as a badge of honor, and my questioning was a way of calling you out politely, but now that we're in GD, I'll tell you straight up that I think it's typical gunboard asshattery.

If you don't know why...

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I didn't ask what the difference is, I asked what the upside is to being a "gun guy" as you laid it out. You talk about it like you wear it as a badge of honor, and my questioning was a way of calling you out politely, but now that we're in GD, I'll tell you straight up that I think it's typical gunboard asshattery.

If you don't know why...

Yup. Too cool for school and all that

Is this where you go on another fundamentals rant?

That being said, as a gun guy and a shooter I will shoot anything......as long as it has a hammer, or a gadget. Please Tom, sell me a gadget!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Hitler. E/O/T.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Hitler. E/O/T.
    I'm pretty sure you know that's not what Godwin said...

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Im a gun guy. But I stick with a particular vein of actions, pistol types or brands. I shoot 1911's and LEM HK's. That's it. Why? Because its what I shoot best. And for some reason the LEM does not interfere with my "software" when I switch to 1911's. Through a DA/SA into my mix on a range day and I may start having some issues. I pretty much do the same thing across the board. My carbines between 5.56 and 308 will have the same triggers and controls and so do my precision rifles. So they tend to be the same brand. "Psychotic loyalty" implies irrational reasoning. But I infer from your post that anyone that sticks in a particular line, it would seem that you may deem a fanatic. Can I shoot others? Of course! And have done so over many rounds and many years leading me to what I shoot today. Someone who has reached a point of refinement and confidence in the systems they are using doesn't make them a fanatic. Nor does it preclude them from being a gun guy. Psychotic and fanatical behaviors in the true sense of the words are just that and probably extend far beyond their firearms selections I suspect.

User Tag List