Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spot Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Any good tips for achieving spot shooting when forced (by agency standards, match rules, etc.) to shoot a big, blank target?

Yesterday I shot a bunch of Drills of the Week. Coincidentally, they included a B-8 drill at 20 yards, followed immediately by one on an IDPA target at the same distance. I was always at least on the paper with the B-8, but on the IDPA target I got this:
    Why don't you mount a B-8 target into the down-0 ring of the IDPA target or Agency target when you practice.
    DB recommends this sort of practice (small targets on big targets).
    The B-8 target can be scored IDPA style of pts per second
    (5 pts for the 10 ring, 3 pts for the 9 ring, 1 pt for the 8 ring)

Most of the ideas are for your own practice, (dry and live) and when you eventually qualify again you should be able to imagine the spot that you used in practice even if it is not there at the qualification.

At rogers shooting school, they place a small spot (just get a small round pricing sticks in bright colors, 2inch or so)
    in the center of the down zero target and you attempt to hit the spot, though of course misses (of the spot) are acceptable, the spot gives you something consistent to aim at.

Claude often draws his own spots on targets. He has both an "aiming spot" and an "acceptable hit target."
    I once took a class with him and no targets were provided. I just happened to have an old CD and marker
    and we used that to draw the targets for the class

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....spot-shooting/
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The qualification score difference among Claude's students between two similar targets is particularly interesting. Has anyone else noticed these differences ?
    Bryan Litz, the long range ballistics expert, has a story that is applicable.
    It is the same sort of thing "aim small miss small" but applied to longer range shooting.

He was interested in the phenomenon of "bullets going to sleep".

It was long observed that bullets shot at more distant targets were more accurate (in MOA)
    then bullets shot at closer targets. He was fascinated by this phenomenon, and doubted its validity,
    so went to perform some scientific tests on it.

The testing methods he used was to use two targets (close and far) which were hung in such a way that the same bullet would pass through both of them and both were visible from the shooting line (far target several feet below the close target). Thus he was able to directly measure the spread of the close and far targets for the same sample of shots.

He found that the affect was not ballistic at all in nature, it had entirely to do with aiming at the "smaller" more distant target would cause smaller groups, while aiming at the closer (larger) target caused larger groups but in all cases the closer groups had smaller MOA measures then the further groups. Shooters has been misled on this affect because they were using separate targets and comparing the results of shooting at a closer target with shooting at a further target.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Why don't you mount a B-8 target into the down-0 ring of the IDPA target or Agency target when you practice.
    DB recommends this sort of practice (small targets on big targets).
    The B-8 target can be scored IDPA style of pts per second
    (5 pts for the 10 ring, 3 pts for the 9 ring, 1 pt for the 8 ring)

Most of the ideas are for your own practice, (dry and live) and when you eventually qualify again you should be able to imagine the spot that you used in practice even if it is not there at the qualification.
    Thanks. This latter transition is what seems to be lacking.

I agree that even a faint additional aiming point or area seems to help a lot. For my next session, I may try the same drill but outline the-0 zone with a Sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Thanks. This latter transition is what seems to be lacking.

I agree that even a faint additional aiming point or area seems to help a lot. For my next session, I may try the same drill but outline the-0 zone with a Sharpie.
    I would also add a dot in the center of the zone as an aiming point. It will help you be consistent, otherwise you will tend to aim anywhere in the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    I would also add a dot in the center of the zone as an aiming point. It will help you be consistent, otherwise you will tend to aim anywhere in the zone.
    I feel an experiment coming on. Stay tuned!

Site Supporter
    Aaron Cowan recently did a video about this and the training value of shooting at low/no contrast targets.

Adding a specific aiming point decreases the training value of learning to get good hits on more realistic targets.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Spot Shooting

Good thread!

This approach, combined with target focused iron sights shooting has been a winning combination for me. 1. Look at the place the bullets need to go, 2. Move gun to the target, 3. Confirm sights as required for shot difficulty, 4. Press trigger as required for shot difficulty.

Key challenges are picking the right spot to aim and knowing how big the "scoring region" is. As we all know, hosers tend to have sloppy aim, and imagine the scoring area is the whole target. Turtles tend to aim small, miss small, and spend a lot of time overconfirming sight alignment, even on easy targets. It's an understatement to say that it's hard to optimize these variables to respond to all targets under all conditions. That's what I continue to work on...
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-11-2020 at 10:38 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List