Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Climbing chainsaw advice

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you have arborist or small engine buddies, I'd get this one, if you can wait for shipping. Otherwise, it's a toss up until you have the time to research warranty and customer service. Remember, these all come from pretty much the same source. I would not expect this to pull a 16" bar with authority. Remember, chain choice and sharpness really, really matters. Low kickback chains will cut much slower; they are touted as being safer, but I've got this gunshot strong arm and I can handle a fairly powerful 64cc saw with a non-safety chain.

However...here's the stark, realistic advice from me:

If you're doing smaller trees and limbs, just get a Silky saw. It's fuckin fast and the tool of choice for the pros. No hate if you get the chainsaw, but the Silky won't slow you down.
    I love my Zubat Pro. Very precise cuts and fast. I won't be found in a tree without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I love my Zubat Pro. Very precise cuts and fast. I won't be found in a tree without it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Silky-270-30-.../dp/B0014C6QJM
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Are there any used Stihl MS192T's available in your area on CL or similar? New ones went in the $320 range; can probably pick a used one up for under $200 and you'll have something worth hanging onto. Lots of guys in our area use them and the 193T's for climbing saws on smaller jobs. The 020T / MS200T / MS201T's don't come out until their extra power is needed and the extra weight is justified.

I have a spare 020T with LL's name on it whenever I get around to rebuilding it. If you were closer to VA, you'd be welcome to borrow my MS200T for your project. Good luck and be safe. Also, when you get the branches off and start working on the trunk, be sure you know how to make a snap cut assuming you can handle the pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Are there any used Stihl MS192T's available in your area on CL or similar? New ones went in the $320 range; can probably pick a used one up for under $200 and you'll have something worth hanging onto. Lots of guys in our area use them and the 193T's for climbing saws on smaller jobs. The 020T / MS200T / MS201T's don't come out until their extra power is needed and the extra weight is justified.

I have a spare 020T with LL's name on it whenever I get around to rebuilding it. If you were closer to VA, you'd be welcome to borrow my MS200T for your project. Good luck and be safe. Also, when you get the branches off and start working on the trunk, be sure you know how to make a snap cut assuming you can handle the pieces.
    Like button firmly mashed.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I've got a couple Luke, but I'm sure they need some TLC - chain sharpening, etc. 1 Husq, one older, Echo or something. Come take a look.

Don't maim/kill yourself.
    Just saying, that's really cool of you. Can I come over for Scotch?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Just saying, that's really cool of you. Can I come over for Scotch?
    Glenrothes, I'm buying.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

If you were in Florida I'd bring my shit over and help you take those trees down in exchange for good food. Preferable dead animals cooked over open fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    If you were in Florida I'd bring my shit over and help you take those trees down in exchange for good food. Preferable dead animals cooked over open fire.

My lead lineman at work said he would come over and help me drop them. He has saws and is knowledgeable about tree felling. I'll be doing the climbing and cutting but he will be the brains.

I actually just stepped up each tree I want to cut a few feet to make sure my pole gaffs would be ok for trees. They worked really good! Got area 5 this weekend then hopefully after that we will be putting these on the ground. I will take pictures and videos.

Also, thank y'all for the advice!
    i used to wannabe

hardest thing is to try to fight urge to grab tree when cut section comes off. tip guy tough me when i started climbing is to push on trunk with your hand to put pressure on your flip line and dig gaffs in deeper as section falls away. then just stand there till they stop moving and climb down and do it again.

So today I went to lowes. I looked at the chainsaws and then thought about the advice given here. I left with this:

I started with the tree closest to my neighbors future nice wooden fence, limbing as I went up. When I made it to the fork I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. The way I wanted it to fall I wasn't sure I could make happen. I climbed down and decided to tackle that with my buddy when he gets a chance.

Said tree :

I then tackled another tree that I thought would be very simple. My plan was to climb half way up and then cut it in half, then cut it from the bottom and have two big pieces. I climbed up and selected my spot, the tree was leaning very bad and I decided I couldn't safely stay on the high side and cut from where I wanted too, so I climbed down a few feet and found a better spot. When it broke it was a wild ride, I anticipated it and was braced and ready but still a weird feeling riding a tree!
    Wife filmed from the safety of the porch with the back door open at her back.
    The smoker will survive, but it will never be the same haha.

I then climbed down and decided to cut the bottom half. Again under estimating the size of the tree, I bent my gutters
    Nothing bad, but I'm sure it will never be right without replacing the gutter.

Thanks for the advice @LittleLebowski and @Mr. Goodtimes
    Last edited by Luke; 06-16-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List