Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Climbing chainsaw advice

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I'm going to climb. They are medium size trees that are straights up. Just gonna limb them and then cut it in half and then drop the rest from the ground.
    Luke, when you say climb, do you have appropriate climbing gear? I only ask because I don't know what your skill level or level of experience is. I do this as a second profession and I can tell you from experience, climbing and felling can be extremely dangerous. As can work from a lift or bucket truck. Trees harness and enormous amount of potential energy and typically when we fudge something, we're on the losing end.

Also, as far as climbing gear goes, id say I have somewhere in the ballpark of close to 2k dollars tied up in climbing gear, not counting my saw, just the shit to get me in a tree.

Depending on how many trees need to come down, you may want to look into hiring a professional, it will likely be cheaper than you buying climbing gear and a saw. Also, you could buy a bigger saw and look at what a tree company would charge to put the tree on the ground for you and then you could handle processing and disposal. My price to just put a tree on the ground is substantially lower than doing the whole job in most cases. I typically spend as much or more time on cleanup than I do on actually making the mess.

If you have a Stihl dealer close by, an MS193T is a good in tree saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Get a quote for a no clean up, just put the tree on the ground for cash.

I fall a lot of trees but no fucking way I am going to put in a face cut, back cut, and drop a tree half way up it, holding on with spikes and a rope. Those dudes are nuts, with the upmost respect mr good times.

I just climbed down (got called out at 4) from a 45ft pole that had a broke cross arm in the back of some people's houses. 3 open wire services, 1 street light, and a 3 phase tap. I climb power poles quite a bit, on my way to climb another right now lol.

That said, I've never climbed a tree. I've talked to a bunch of people who have and they said my normal bashlin 1 5/8" hooks will work if it's not pine, which it's not. None of he branches are super big, plan is to climb up and cut limbs as I go, get a little up and cut the top half out of it. We hire a lot of tree crews and I've watched them. I plan to throw a RO into a nearby tree and pull the top in the direction I want with some ropes and pulleys and some ingenuity.

I've never really done much with a chainsaw, we cut a lot at work but everybody enjoys it and I've not done much so I let them have it. I'm actually in a new training class my work just made for tree felling. It should be in the next couple weeks so I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

I'm not going into it blind, but only one eye is open lol
    i used to wannabe

Neighbor is fixing to build a fence and that means my time frame for cutting trees down has sped up!

I don't have the budget right now for baller equipment and am looking for the best crappy saw.

Anybody heard of these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYRKKJU...a-340569381044

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009L..._t1_B00AYRKKJU

@LittleLebowski
    Weird, I was just asking the pros on chainsaw forums about these a couple weeks ago. Apparently they are identical copies of the respected Zenoah G2500 and "people are having few (not many, a compliment) problems with them."

I'd take the chance on one of these, from whichever seller has the best rep/warranty. Or trade ammo to an arborist for the work to be done or a used saw.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-28-2017 at 09:12 AM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    As someone who makes a living putting Humpty Dumpty back together again, please be very careful with a chainsaw around trees. This is especially true if you are not a trained/experienced arborist. In a split second you life can change for the much, much worse...

What you are about to do is likely number 7 on "Sensei's Guide to Avoiding Large Hospital Bills"...right behind: 1) Don't buy or sell drugs, 2) Wear a seatbelt and don't drive drunk, 3) Don't screw another man's wife, 4) Don't climb a ladder that is more than 3X your height, 5) Don't mess with industrial current, 6) Never use gasoline as an accelerant...
    Yup, ladders and chainsaws are very dangerous to homeowners. I wear my PPE (personal preotective equipment) when running a saw, and my bike helmet when on a ladder. I'm dinged up enough, I need to stay functional.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Weird, I was just asking the pros on chainsaw forums about these a couple weeks ago. Apparently they are identical copies of the respected Zenoah G2500 and "people are having few (not many, a compliment) problems with them."

I'd take the chance.

Sweet! Which saw? (Two listed) and do you think I should get the 14" or 16" bar? Do you think it has enough gumph to cut more than limbs?
    i used to wannabe

Just rolled up on the next job, tree crew ain't done so get to watch and learn from more professionals

i used to wannabe

Sweet! Which saw? (Two listed) and do you think I should get the 14" or 16" bar? Do you think it has enough gumph to cut more than limbs?
    If you have arborist or small engine buddies, I'd get this one, if you can wait for shipping. Otherwise, it's a toss up until you have the time to research warranty and customer service. Remember, these all come from pretty much the same source. I would not expect this to pull a 16" bar with authority. Remember, chain choice and sharpness really, really matters. Low kickback chains will cut much slower; they are touted as being safer, but I've got this gunshot strong arm and I can handle a fairly powerful 64cc saw with a non-safety chain.

However...here's the stark, realistic advice from me:

If you're doing smaller trees and limbs, just get a Silky saw. It's fuckin fast and the tool of choice for the pros. No hate if you get the chainsaw, but the Silky won't slow you down.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-28-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    #RESIST

I've got a couple Luke, but I'm sure they need some TLC - chain sharpening, etc. 1 Husq, one older, Echo or something. Come take a look.

Don't maim/kill yourself.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I just climbed down (got called out at 4) from a 45ft pole that had a broke cross arm in the back of some people's houses. 3 open wire services, 1 street light, and a 3 phase tap. I climb power poles quite a bit, on my way to climb another right now lol.

That said, I've never climbed a tree. I've talked to a bunch of people who have and they said my normal bashlin 1 5/8" hooks will work if it's not pine, which it's not. None of he branches are super big, plan is to climb up and cut limbs as I go, get a little up and cut the top half out of it. We hire a lot of tree crews and I've watched them. I plan to throw a RO into a nearby tree and pull the top in the direction I want with some ropes and pulleys and some ingenuity.

I've never really done much with a chainsaw, we cut a lot at work but everybody enjoys it and I've not done much so I let them have it. I'm actually in a new training class my work just made for tree felling. It should be in the next couple weeks so I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

I'm not going into it blind, but only one eye is open lol
    If you already got spikes and a saddle then you have some of the most expensive stuff. There is some good stuff on you tube by a Canadian dude. His channel is Educatedclimber.com. It sounds like you have a good understanding of climbing so I'd just pay attention to learning the various cuts and some rigging stuff that comes in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List