Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Climbing chainsaw advice

Climbing chainsaw advice

Neighbor is fixing to build a fence and that means my time frame for cutting trees down has sped up!

I don't have the budget right now for baller equipment and am looking for the best crappy saw.

Anybody heard of these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYRKKJU...a-340569381044

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009L..._t1_B00AYRKKJU

@LittleLebowski
    Last edited by Luke; 05-27-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    i used to wannabe

As someone who makes a living putting Humpty Dumpty back together again, please be very careful with a chainsaw around trees. This is especially true if you are not a trained/experienced arborist. In a split second you life can change for the much, much worse...

What you are about to do is likely number 7 on "Sensei's Guide to Avoiding Large Hospital Bills"...right behind: 1) Don't buy or sell drugs, 2) Wear a seatbelt and don't drive drunk, 3) Don't screw another man's wife, 4) Don't climb a ladder that is more than 3X your height, 5) Don't mess with industrial current, 6) Never use gasoline as an accelerant...
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-27-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Wise words good sir. I'm gonna take it easy and be safe.
    i used to wannabe

I have on old 020T Stihl Top Handle.
    Top handles give you much less leverage than regular saws so you need to take greater care. I never use it unless I need it.

Can you rent a pole saw?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I think I may just buy abnormal chainsaw. There is some deal on some husqvarna 440's close to the house.

I might could rent a pole saw, haven't checked to see what's available locally.
    i used to wannabe

Are you actually going to be climbing? I wouldn't use, and don't use my climbing saw for anything but climbing, and even then, sometimes I climb with a bigger saw.

If you're only going to have one saw I would look for a 50 or 60cc saw. I would look at Husqvarna or Stihl. There are other good brands but dealer support isn't as good in most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to climb. They are medium size trees that are straights up. Just gonna limb them and then cut it in half and then drop the rest from the ground.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I'm going to climb. They are medium size trees that are straights up. Just gonna limb them and then cut it in half and then drop the rest from the ground.
    This does not sound like a good idea for an inexperienced person.

Hire a bucket truck for a day. Delimb the tree. Start at top and cut small sections off and let them drop.
    Drop the tree when you get it down to 10 or 12 feet.

Site Supporter
    My bother in law and I did that when we bought the house, 6 trees. Rent a cherry picker, climbing isn't worth the hazards for amateur hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List