Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube (& lesser) Amplifiers

Tube (& lesser) Amplifiers

In order to not derail the knife defense thread further, I thought it would be good to start a thread about a guitarist's second favorite bit of gear, and the soundman's worst enemy- the amplifier.
    Tube amps preferred, but we can bring in solid state as well.

My newly completed main amp:
    Name:  B&L open.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  29.1 KB

That's a 20w Marshall Bass & Lead clone, built around a Ceriatone board, and in a 1x12 Ampeg style "fliptop" cabinet. Covering is just some tweed upholstery fabric I got from Walmart, glued to the box, and varnished. It's super basic- a normal channel, a bright channel, and just a volume and tone on each channel. I run a jumper between the two, and can mix up a number of good tones with those 4 controls.

And it sounds amazing. Nice and modern when playing my active headless Flying V bass, and rough, deep, and heavy with my Hofner Icon B-Bass, strung with heavy flatwounds.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

However, I'm not a tube snob. Here's my other amp:
    Name:  WP_20150409_003.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  39.3 KB
    (most of the pictures I have of it have a guitar parked in front)
    That's an old Rickenbacker TR-35b, with a bit of a story. I bought it back in 1993, played it for a short while, then came across a battered & cheap Sunn 100s head.
    So, the electronic bits were removed, and the 1x15 cab used as the speaker for a long number of years, until both were stolen in 1999. The Ric chassis was stuffed in a series of storage sheds and closets, and mostly forgotten until a few years ago.
    I was wanting a new amp over here, as my Peavey Bassic was fairly bland. And here's this nice old Ric amp sitting around, doing nothing. So, I sent it over along with a Celestion 15, found the cab dimensions for the old Ric combo, and basically built a new one. And it pretty much worked right off, after I replaced some of the electrolytic caps.

Sound wise, it's a good "meat and potatoes" amp. It's got a good, rich, meaty tone without a lot of frills.
    Back i
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Mesa is wrapping me a custom 1x12 as we speak. Will have pics when it's in. The vertical 2x12 is just a bit much for me.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    a guitarist's second favorite bit of gear
    After the pedal board...

Deleted - can't get the pictures to upload right.
    Last edited by Edster; 05-28-2017 at 12:21 AM.

I've always wondered why the "flip" Ampeg style combos aren't more popular?

As for tubes in the combo above, JJ EL84s for the power amp, a new Tung Sol 12ax7 for the preamp, and a new Mullard in the PI. No real reason, just because, and I don't want to risk expensive NOS tubes in our often poor PNG electrical grid.

Very cool stuff! I don't have a pic, but I'm running a Peavey Classic 50 tube amp. No substitute for tubes....

a guitarist's second favorite bit of gear, and the soundman's worst enemy- the amplifier.
    As a guitarist AND the sound guy, I've had plenty of internal conflict over this.

Recently I ditched my giant pedal board & dual amp setup in favor of (and I'm sure this offends all sorts of sensibilities in this thread, but you did include "& lesser" amps. ) a Line 6 Helix.

I'm sure someone could hear a difference between it and a real tube amp, but the audience doesn't seem to. And it's nice to be able to experiment with different amps, say a JTM-45, a Bassman, a Matchless, and Dr Z, and a Dumble-ish boutique amp, all in the same set, and go back home with just a guitar case and a backpack.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Site Supporter
    I've had 3 amps: a really crappy SS that something in it died after a couple of years when I turned it on.

Then I bought a Fender Blues Jr. What an upgrade! I was never in a rock band, so it was plenty of power for a house amp or playing in wine and coffee houses.

Then, I got into an acoustic group and we started doing outdoor venues and stuff, and I started doing more solo acoustic gigs, and decided I didn't want a board, just a really good 2 channel acoustic amp. I got a Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr, and had to sell the Blues Jr to pay for it. It's a really nice amp for what I do, but there are times I want to get out the Strat, and I miss the Blues Jr.

Oh, well.

I had an 80s Fender Twin Reverb that I loved but it was so freakin heavy I decided to downsize since I don't really play out anymore. I don't do solid state anymore. I picked up a Vox AC4 that my buddy was selling. Here's what mine looks like.

I love it! Super easy to haul around and it sounds great and can pack a punch.

Kudos to Tom! A Mesa rig was my dream rig back when I was in a band.

I do amp repair on the side and I see some nice stuff now and then.
    Last edited by Irelander; 05-30-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List