Thread: AAR: Green Ops Defensive Pistol I Course; in Culpeper, VA on 20 May 2017

AAR: Green Ops Defensive Pistol I Course; in Culpeper, VA on 20 May 2017

On Saturday, 20 May 2017, I trained with Green Ops during their Defensive Pistol I Course at the Stone Quarry Range in Culpeper, Virginia. The weather provided ideal conditions at 72 degrees and overcast. There were a total of twelve students (of varied backgrounds) along with our three Green Ops Instructors. Mike Green (Owner), Brett (2IC) and Andy instructed the course. Their impressive bios are available on their website. We linked up at the E.V. Bakers Store/Gas Station at 0840 hours and convoyed to the private range approximately eight minutes away. Brett and Andy were waiting at the range and had everything setup, ready to go. The range set-up was perfect, with a stone quarry backdrop and zero training interruptions. We all dismounted our POVs, walked over to the picnic tables and began the training with an hour-long informative discussion and knowledge dump on defensive pistol concepts and marksmanship. I found this discussion to be extremely beneficial, as we all got a chance to learn more about our competent instructors and their methodology of training. We discussed getting the gun on target, using the sights, and pulling the trigger back without moving the gun. We also discussed “why and when” to use a gun and the use of force elements consisting of: ability, opportunity, manifested intent, imminent danger and preclusion/avoidance. A solid safety brief and MEDEVAC plan was also covered. Emphasis was also placed on dry fire, live fire, using a shot timer, video/photo and competing to stay current. The benefits of having a preselected attorney and liability insurance were also discussed. One of the most important concepts that I took away was to focus on being fast and smooth, because “time is life” during a gunfight and to “never give a sucker” an advantage. We also focused on shooting out to 25 meters, because FBI statistics on shootings mainly pertain to close range police officer engagements with suspects that primarily take place during a hands-on apprehension or arrest. Civilians might not find themselves that close to an attacker during an armed defensive engagement since it is not a civilian’s job to arrest an armed suspect and they do not have “qualified immunity” like police officers.

We then moved onto the range and conducted a timed individual assessment while shooting two chest shots at one steel target; and then, one head shot at another steel target. Next, we assembled into two firing orders of six personnel each, thus enabling us to have a 2:1 (student to instructor) ratio. We then conducted approximately twelve different drills that were explained and demonstrated to us throughout the day. The first drill focused on drawing (grip, up, together, present) and shooting at a small square at three yards. The next drill focused on stance by assuming an athletic position while putting our weight onto the balls of the feet. We shot at the upper thoracic cavity at seven yards with a two second PAR time. Then we moved to a two shot drill and conducted reloads. Indexing the magazines and using gravity to drop the magazine was also emphasized. Pressing and “holding” the magazine release button was also emphasized for some of us “Nintendo generation” folks. We then moved onto malfunctions (empty chamber, failure to extract, stovepipe), and how to perform a tap-rack-ready. We didn’t spend too much time on malfunctions, since this is something that can be practiced at home. We then moved onto one-handed shooting, with emphasis on placing the support hand across the chest to provide added protection; and, placing the chin into the shoulder for added stability. We were reminded not to fumble with a gun and if it feels like you might be dropping it to just drop it so you don’t accidentally fire it. We then moved onto shooting multiple threats and discussed how it is important to shift the eyes first, and then follow with the gun. The difference between “soft and hard focus” was also covered. Emphasis on speed was constantly brought up and how it is important to draw on the initial “B” sound, during the “BEEP” of the timer, and not on the final “P” sound. Sight, slack, and press were also emphasized. We then moved onto “head shots”, should a threat be wearing body armor or be under the influence of drugs. Two rounds to the body and one round to the head, while taking out the trigger slack on the headshot. We then moved to shooting from cover and were reminded not to crowd cover unless the threat is coming from a higher elevation. Brett also demonstrated a highly effective drill by showing us how we could be engaged by someone from a covered position with a laser. Towards the very end of the day, we conducted a Virginia Law Enforcement Officer Qualification and then shot at the steel targets for one final time. I’m happy to say that I fired an old Glock 17, with zero malfunctions, while putting about 300 rounds of quality 124-grain ammo downrange. I later realized it was tick season, as I brought a little sucker home and had to use hydrogen peroxide to get him off. It was an extremely safe range due to the diligence and competence of our seasoned instructors.

Upon conclusion of the training, we were presented with Green Ops T-Shirts and a certificate of training. Mike also followed up by sending us an email that detailed all of the training topics we covered with helpful Internet links. He also attached the power point slides and a word document with drills that we conducted so we can continue training. Mike emphasized at the beginning of the course that this was a “train-the-trainer” course and I truly feel that he provided us with the necessary instruction and tools to reinforce the training they provided us with during the eight-hour training day. Overall, I found this training to be extremely beneficial and it was an outstanding use of time, money and resources. I have taken many marksmanship courses, and it is hard to find one as good as this for the amount we paid and the quality of instruction received. I would recommend the Green Ops Defensive Pistol Courses to any beginner or advanced shooter because it is so important to focus on the basics. In fact, this was my second time taking this course and I would repeat it again!

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the excellent review. It's always comforting to see positive reviews from professionals like yourself. Thank you!

User Tag List