Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Best" Glock Holsters & Pouches? Opinions welcome!

I'm from PA, near where they produce Pennzoil,... but I want to go to AZ where the weather is WARMER! (I hate winter!) Lots of people from PA in AZ!
    A good example has twice the value of good advice,...

I see you are looking for one for range and carry, what is the difference to you between range and carry? I view it as cover garment or not. That being said, I have been carrying in some form of a kydex pancake holster for the last year or so and have no issues wearing jeans and a tshirt and still carrying. While I do practice from concealment, "range work" is done with the shirt tucked in and holster in the open. I carry at roughly 2:00.

For that, I would suggest a Raven Phantom or an Atomic Dog.

If things go right, I'll be looking for a Glock 17 holster also.

I think I've gotten spoiled with OWB paddle holsters

• Easy to put on and take off
    • Could get a solid grip and draw
    • Comfortable
    • Fairly concealable

Sadly, I haven't found anything else that cover all of those points as well.

I just use a Level 2 Blackhawk Serpa. I had a Kydex from Comp-tac which I liked but I prefer the far cheaper polymer blackhawk since it gets really cold / hot here and I don't want to worry about cracking / melting kydex since I am in and out of the car a lot.

If something ever happened to it I wouldn't be as bummed nor would I have to wait for them to build another one. I could go get another one in 15 minutes vs waiting a week for a holster. I suppose if I carried IWB or if concealment were the priority then I would obviously look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I've always been happy with Blade-Tech products. They're well made and readily available from Brownells. I regularly use their IWB and Belt holsters.

I don't care for double mag carriers, I'd rather have 2 singles.

I would avoid the Serpa holster.
    Thanks, JV,... Question: Why avoid the Serpas?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrill View Post
    There have been cases where the serpa release mechanism has failed and guns were not able to be removed, several instructor's ban the use of the serpa in their classes
    Chemist.

For IWB in leather I like the Milt Sparks Heritage #1, the Kramer IWB #2, Alessi PCH, and Garrity Invictus; for a Kydex IWB the CCC Looper, Raven Phantom, and Fricke Archangel/Seraphim work well for my needs.

For OWB in leather I like the Alessi DOJ open port or Kramer vertical scabbard; for Kydex OWB I like Raven Phantom and Fricke Gideon Elite; the Comp Tac belt holster is OK if you need something quickly. If you need retention for concealed OWB, the Safariland 6377 and Holsters Plus Sure-Lock work.

I use a shortened, modified Safariland 6004 when wearing tactical armor.

Just say no to Serpas; the life you save may be your own...

Thanks for the continuing information.

I have narrowed my search - I want to carry at the range, I am also considering competing in IDPA in the future, and also carry for protection. I seems the IDPA has the following requirements (copied & edited from their PDF file) so what would be a good match? They talk a Fobus being an inexpensive polymer holster, but which one(s), Fobus or otherwise, can't you see ANY light through at the belt area?

IDPA NEW SHOOTERS Holsters and Ammunition Carriers

....Shoulder, cross-draw, ankle, or tactical thigh-rig holsters are not allowed because of either safety reasons or they are unrealistic for concealed carry. Most strong-side Inside-the-Waistband (IWB) holsters are allowed. If you choose an Outside-the-Waistband (OWB) model, it must pull the gun tight enough into your body so that a person behind you cannot see daylight between you and your holster (including through the belt slot area).
    Note that there are a few low-cost plastic/Kydex models that initially appear appropriate, but are actually illegal in the sport. This is because their belt slot area is so wide that it inappropriately sets the gun away from the body. Be sure the perform the “daylight” test mentioned above to make sure the holster is legal.
    Last edited by Thrill; 03-13-2011 at 06:52 AM.

I believe this rule is to prevent the use of Dropped and/or Offset Holsters (like you would see on a LEO Duty Belt). The Offset holsters are popular in other speed shooting sports.

I would say skip Fobus - they might be cheap, but I am not sure you would even get what you pay for from what I have seen.

Stick to the recomendations above.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrill View Post
    A few things:

There is a negligent discharge issue that comes up when you're using your trigger finger, with inward pressure, to release the gun. I think this mechanism, when coupled with stress (lots of force), is an ND waiting to happen.

You can run in to issues when doing one handed drills, like reloading or malfunction drills, and you insert the gun backwards in to the holster - which is a common technique. The gun becomes locked in the holster, and you can't remove it.

They have durability/reliability issues and the mechanism can be easily jammed, locking the gun in the holster.

If you really want a retention holster, I would suggest Safariland.

User Tag List