Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Best" Glock Holsters & Pouches? Opinions welcome!

"Best" Glock Holsters & Pouches? Opinions welcome!

I'm looking to get a multi-purpose range/carry holster and 2 mag pouch, but I don't want to make any more n00b mistakes than necessary so, First let me say I am aware of how "opinionated" the answers to this questions will be,... But, with that in mind, as a new Glock 17 owner, what holster(s) do you have/recommend and why do you like them? Also, what, if any, brands/types should I avoid, and why? While your at it, where is a good place to get/order them? Thanks in advance!
    A good example has twice the value of good advice,...

Site Supporter
    I've always been happy with Blade-Tech products. They're well made and readily available from Brownells. I regularly use their IWB and Belt holsters.

I don't care for double mag carriers, I'd rather have 2 singles.

I would avoid the Serpa holster.

I have carried a Glock 19 in some form or fashion for the last four years. I agree with JV that Blade Tech holsters are rugged, functional, and well-built. Raven Concealment makes nice holsters as well, but they can be hard to come by and have a long wait time. Blade Tech must have a gigantic warehouse because availability is always really good. edited to add: I am talking about "outside the waistband" carry.

Holsters for concealed carry tend to be more where the heated discussions arise.

Also agree with JV that single mag carriers can be a better idea than a double carrier - sometimes it's hard to get a real positive grip on the mag when using a double carrier. For a kydex mag pouch I recommend Custom Carry Concepts or Ready Tactical.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 03-04-2011 at 08:03 PM.

For a multi purpose holster that you will probably use to learn your own preferences, Customcarryconcepts is the way to go. Very reasonably priced for the quality, excellent function, and if you contact Rich in the near future, I bet you'll get your holster sooner than later. No promises though.

If that doesn't work, bladetech, as mentioned, is usually a stocked item.

Kydex is not my first choice for a variety of situations, but they are versatile, and the mag pouches tend to out perform leather ones. When you get some experience with what YOU prefer, then I would look at 5shotleather, among a few others. Since John is on this forum, I would certainly go to him first.

My take on Glock holsters: I think any quality builder will do. Glocks are so prevalent that most manufacturers get to build enough of those to get their stuff down. In addition, Glock's shape is pretty simple and blocky, and I think precise molding is easier to achieve.
    Without personal experience, I've heard less than stellar stuff about Serpa and FIST. Other than that, I've not heard Glock owners be terribly disappointed with their holsters regardless of manufacturer.
    I use a Milt Sparks VM-2 (which is one of my best holsters overall) and a Raven holster.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-04-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: long day, multiple typos

I am a huge fan of Raven concealment holsters, especially for my Glocks, I normally run two single mag carriers, in matches, class or running drills at the range.

I have a Cane and Derby mag carrier and holster coming in next week or so, I plan on giving them a run and see how they fair compared to raven.
    Chemist.

Site Supporter
    Here is one thing to think about.

Some folks like holsters that offer a lot of retention. Essentially, you could turn it up side down, with a loaded gun 1" shy of fully seating, and it won't drop out.

Some folks prefer holsters that have a positive click when the gun reaches the end of it's insertion. If it's not clicked in, and you turn over, it'll drop out.

All of the BT holsters I have, like the Belt and IWB (non injection), are click type holsters.

Wow you got some top notch answers fast! Just throwing in another holster option into the mix.

An inexpensive OWB option is the Safariland 6377. I haven't had mine long but can find it online for $30. I have the one for G 17 but have used it mostly with my 19. I set a lot of new personal records with this holster practicing drills this week and it has ALS retention where my other OWB holsters don't so I was surprised by the speed. Build quality is good, pistol doesn't move around in the holster and seems heavy duty. I wish I found this one awhile ago.

Magazine pouches I use are Custom Carry Concepts like others mentioned.

Concealment holster is really a personal thing. I need to start selling some of my holsters as I have way to many sitting around.

Hmmm, anything behind your name vs location? - Pennzoil in AZ?

If you're serious, what holsters might you be wanting to sell?
    A good example has twice the value of good advice,...

I'm just thinking in the future I need to thin out the herd but haven't thought of which ones yet. Most of them took a couple months to get made so I don't want to rush into getting rid of them. If I sell one you'll know as I'll post it here in the sale forums.

Forum name was a nickname given to me in the USCG due to working with people that didn't speak english and couldn't pronounce my last name. They seen a picture of my father drag racing I had stuck to my rack with a pennzoil sticker. Pennzoil they could say..my buddies LOVED my new name and it stuck. No association with AZ other then one of those buddies convinced me to move here. Sorry for the thread drift remove if needed.

User Tag List