Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber or G10 edged weapon options

Solid suggestions so far. I would only suggest a paracord attachment method or shok-cord. You wouldn't want to go through the trouble of carrying a non-metallic knife only to have the screener pickup the metal clip attaching it to your belt or the metal chain around your neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    Solid suggestions so far. I would only suggest a paracord attachment method or shok-cord. You wouldn't want to go through the trouble of carrying a non-metallic knife only to have the screener pickup the metal clip attaching it to your belt or the metal chain around your neck.

You don't want to get flagged with one. Carrying any type of fixed blade in Disney @ California is problematic

"12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
    is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
    or in the state prison:

(4)Carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger."

I do not know if there is an LEO exemption buried in the penal code for off duty.

Ymmv

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Not certain. I bought it direct from Krein awhile ago. I doubt I paid close to what AZCK is selling one for:

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/g...msPerPage%3D12
    That is a cool knife but $250 ????

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Not certain. I bought it direct from Krein awhile ago. I doubt I paid close to what AZCK is selling one for:

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/g...msPerPage%3D12
    Thanks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    What about Special Circumstances knives http://specialcircumstancesinc.blogs...ry-knives.html and maybe a coin sap?

http://www.meangeneleather.com/shop/ I'v also seen a coin sap that was also a palm sap.
    Attachment 16965

Or maybe a monkeyfist https://monkeyarmor.com/
    Anyone with experience with the meangeneleather coin saps? I am looking at on for carry in Mexico. I saw them in TPI the other night but haven't had a chance to ask about them yet. PM me if you don't want to thread drift.

Site Supporter
    G10 seems to be one of the best materials for this type of knife.

In general, the edge will be worth little or nothing, but the point will be quite useful. So, you want a design that focuses on providing 3 dimensional support to the point, rather than a flat design that provides an edge but only 2 dimensional support to the point.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

The edge on the krein is surprisingly sharp, and toothy. It'll certainly cut flesh easily

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Which model is this?

Thanks,

Okie John

That looks like a TK-8. I have one in D2, amazing blade.
    Last edited by Norville; 05-28-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Great suggestions. I really like the Tom Krein blade, no real surprise, and that exact knife was the inspiration for starting this thread. I generally go the "buy once, cry once" route, but this is somewhat of a special circumstances use and I'm inclined to something that can be pitched in a trashcan without thought. Still looking into the many suggestions.

My original plan, to keep it all non-metalic, was to carry it as a neck knife using 550 cord with cord lock.

Looks like the punishments are stiff for such things at Disneyland in Cali, but as Tom noted, we're central FL residents and Disney World patrons. You're simply 86'd from Disney property at their discretion if caught here, no different than Target or other private property with "no weapons allowed" signs unless specified by FL law (like professional sporting events).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Great suggestions. I really like the Tom Krein blade, no real surprise, and that exact knife was the inspiration for starting this thread. I generally go the "buy once, cry once" route, but this is somewhat of a special circumstances use and I'm inclined to something that can be pitched in a trashcan without thought. Still looking into the many suggestions.

My original plan, to keep it all non-metalic, was to carry it as a neck knife using 550 cord with cord lock.

Looks like the punishments are stiff for such things at Disneyland in Cali, but as Tom noted, we're central FL residents and Disney World patrons. You're simply 86'd from Disney property at their discretion if caught here, no different than Target or other private property with "no weapons allowed" signs unless specified by FL law (like professional sporting events).
    With the exception of some of the stuff that comes specifically from Special Circumstances, such as the ceramic core polymer coated knives, you are generally wasting your money if you are spending more than $40-$50 on a polymer knife. I have bought a couple of expensive ones, and have not found them to be particularly better than an $8 CIA Letter Opener form A. G. Russell. At the $8-$12 price range, it becomes relatively painless to own several.

One of the best such blades I have come across is a Colt S.P.E.A.R Pack Knife. Unfortunately they are no longer made, so they may be hard to find. They are not only well made from G10, but are also single edge with a short blade length, presenting some possible (but in no way guaranteed to succeed) arguments for legality of carry in states wherein fixed blades are legal. Dark Star makes a well-designed sheath for them, providing flexibility in carry methods. On of these could easily be fastened to a Chris Fry/Raven Pocket Shield.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List