Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber or G10 edged weapon options

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    You don't want to get flagged with one. Carrying any type of fixed blade in Disney @ California is problematic

"12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
    is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
    or in the state prison:

(4)Carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger."

I do not know if there is an LEO exemption buried in the penal code for off duty.

Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Try the UK, Denmark, or Germany for knife law. It more or less all boils down to nothing over 3 inches including lock knives which is why Sal over at Spyderco made some fiendishly clever models for the UK and Denmark which did not lock. The UKPK model and I think the Danish one was the DKPK.

I have even seen people pulled and have the larger multitool type knife confiscated. And soldiers coming back from deployment have had tactical style knives confiscated at customs.

If you carry a blade the law requires: Lawful authority, or reasonable excuse, ie you need it for work, or you better be Bear Grylls out in the wild.
    Last edited by Chuteur; 06-01-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Great suggestions. I really like the Tom Krein blade, no real surprise, and that exact knife was the inspiration for starting this thread. I generally go the "buy once, cry once" route, but this is somewhat of a special circumstances use and I'm inclined to something that can be pitched in a trashcan without thought. Still looking into the many suggestions.

My original plan, to keep it all non-metalic, was to carry it as a neck knife using 550 cord with cord lock.

Looks like the punishments are stiff for such things at Disneyland in Cali, but as Tom noted, we're central FL residents and Disney World patrons. You're simply 86'd from Disney property at their discretion if caught here, no different than Target or other private property with "no weapons allowed" signs unless specified by FL law (like professional sporting events).
    The company my wife worked for a few years ago was a major third party provider to the Mouse-Universum so she knew some folks there. Word is that their security folks in Fl can be a bit gangbusters if they have a mind to be, or take a dislike. They actually had the right to establish a Disney World PD, they did not take it up and deferred to either Orlando PD or the Sheriff, can't remember which.

Just saying.

Has anyone replace the metal rivets in the Kydex sheaths with a non-metallic substitute? Is it even necessary. I have a Ti belt clip, or a comp-tac clip on my Krein, but use metal screws. I'm wondering if I should modify it more

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Has anyone replace the metal rivets in the Kydex sheaths with a non-metallic substitute? Is it even necessary. I have a Ti belt clip, or a comp-tac clip on my Krein, but use metal screws. I'm wondering if I should modify it more
    So there is enough metal to get caught up in more finely tuned magnetometers. Most hand-held wand-type ones won't catch it, but static ones may.

If you do replace them, you have a few options. Paracord laced through the holes and cinched very tight. I tried this with my Senka but never got enough tension, I'd think you'd have to REALLY weave it tight.

Other alternatives non-metallic rivets or Nylon nuts and bolts, or you can do what I did...zip-ties. Just make sure you file/sand down the ends after you clip them, or they WILL stab/cut you at an inopportune time. Any of these options should be found at your local Home Depot/Lowes.

Name:  IMG_1952.JPG
Views: 818
Size:  88.1 KB
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-06-2017 at 01:47 PM.

i'm thinking gutted paracord, pulled tight, then epoxy the cord, just like the knife handles

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    i'm thinking gutted paracord, pulled tight, then epoxy the cord, just like the knife handles
    It should work. I'm kind of lazy and after an hour of wrapping-rewrapping I couldn't find my desired tension. So I said screw it and broke out the zip-ties. In retrospect if I had clamped the sheath with some small clamps, I probably could have woven the cord tight enough for the correct tension. The one upside to the zipties is the won't stretch like gutted cord will. Several folks I've talked with said that they have found plastic rivets to work really well in place of metal ones.

Site Supporter
    A well designed sheath for a nonmetallic blade should also have no metal. Most that I have seen just rely on the molding of the Kydex to hold the knife in place, without rivets. I have seen some use plastic Chicago screws, which can be purchased in bulk inexpensively. Dark Star supplied their sheaths with an elastic cord for attaching the shaath to something else, like a belt or Chris Fry/Raven Pocket Shield.

I started thinking along the same lines after a recent trip to Universal when security sent me back to the hotel rather than let me in with my Swiss Army knife.

I got kind of excited when I saw this one-
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...tical-puncher/
    But $60 for a G10 laminate anything seems really excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post

Those look really cool. Not sure what to do about a sheath. The specs weren't much help.

Also, I have the same Sentinel Senka as @RevolverRob and it's great, pointy piece of kit. JMO.

I have a Ti/CF blade and a Ceramic/CF blade from Ian at specialized circumstances. Carried the former during my last Afghanistan pump, and it held up well. Even though it wasn't a GP/Utility knife, it did what I asked of it. Anything sharp is better than fists of fury alone, and the $20 options look great, especially if you have a habit of dropping your knives into the bay after you've used them once.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List