Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 98

Thread: IWI X95 Review and Range Report

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    S.W. Ohio
    The height over bore was an issue. Itís something I could have trained through. But I had to constantly pay attention with the X95, whereas with my ARís itís not something I have to give as much thought to due to years of training and practice.

    My split times with the X95 were slower than with the 6920. My split times with a 6920 are slower than they are with one of my midlength has ARís with a 15Ē handguard.

    The X95 wasnít purchased for 3 gun competition. Was the split times good enough for the intended purpose of the X95?
    Probably...?

    For some reason, it was difficult to shoot from a bench rest accurately with the X95. It could be done, but it took much more effort than an AR, or even an AR pistol.

    Transition from target to target was slower for me with the X95 when I was on a timer. This was to be expected with how close my support hand had to be to my body due to the short OAL than I am with an AR with a 15Ē handguard, or even a Colt 6920.

    The rubber butt plate would catch on my clothing. IWI makes a nice, thin hard plastic replacement, but installing it shortens the OAL of the weapon to where it now becomes a SBR. (Gotta love NFA rules...) If you have an 18Ē X95, then youíre good to go. But I was buying an X95 for the short OAL, so I didnít get the appeal of the 18Ē barrels.

    Manual of arms for a magazine change felt funky when used to using an AR. I was never as fast as I am with an AR, but it wasnít as bad as Iíd assume it would be prior to actually owning one.

    Things I remember surprising me were how easy it was to maneuver in a tight space, like a hallway. I also assumed it would be loud to shoot with the muzzle being closer to my face. But I really didnít find it any louder to shoot than a traditional 16Ē AR using the same ammunition.

    Bottom line is the X95 had potential to be a viable option for what I needed. But it didnít work out as I would have hoped. Had the accuracy been on par with an AUG, or if the height over bore wouldnít have been so much larger than an AR, or... if it were the only gun I shot so that I had the height over bore drilled into my brain, Iíd probably have kept it.

    Could it be a viable option for someone else to use as a travel gun that needs to have a small footprint? I definitely think so. I say this because I feel ALL of the issues I had with my X95 boiled down to personal preference. The gun was reliable, and accurate enough for the intended task.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Gen III law folder is a proven option. The extra length added to the cycle of operation actually helps reliability similar to the Vltor A5 system.

    As much as I irrationally love the AUG, there are some real down sides to bullpups and you are giving up a lot of training / time on the AR platform.
    Thatís the route Iím going for a travel long gun because it offers a few things I like:
    No NFA paperwork to deal with, commonality with my issued carbine, can be transported loaded in many jurisdictions that donít allow transport of loaded rifles. I hadnít thought of the extra length acting in the same manner as an A5 setup. I was going to build the lower with an A5 but now I think Iíll just use my Geissele coupon to purchase a lower and one of their Super 42 setups. I donít know if the length of the A5, when added to the length of the Law Folder, would be too much of a good thing.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

  3. #23
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TEXAS !
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Thatís the route Iím going for a travel long gun because it offers a few things I like:
    No NFA paperwork to deal with, commonality with my issued carbine, can be transported loaded in many jurisdictions that donít allow transport of loaded rifles. I hadnít thought of the extra length acting in the same manner as an A5 setup. I was going to build the lower with an A5 but now I think Iíll just use my Geissele coupon to purchase a lower and one of their Super 42 setups. I donít know if the length of the A5, when added to the length of the Law Folder, would be too much of a good thing.
    Even if itís not too much of a good thing functionally, the LAW folder also adds a bit to the LOP. Thatís why I asked about LOP in the long gun picture thread when the LAW folder with fixed stock was posted.

  4. #24
    Site Supporter HeavyDuty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Not very bright but does lack ambition
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Even if itís not too much of a good thing functionally, the LAW folder also adds a bit to the LOP. Thatís why I asked about LOP in the long gun picture thread when the LAW folder with fixed stock was posted.
    I found a GHW Tailhook Mod 1 on a Battlearms Sabertube and a LAW folder makes an extremely handy carb... um, pistol sto..., um, arm brace. Overall length is about perfect, and the Tailhook is the most practical arm brace Iíve ever used.
    Ken

    BBI: ...Ēyou better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weirdĒ...
    revchuck38: ...Ēmo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.Ē

  5. #25
    Site Supporter HeavyDuty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Not very bright but does lack ambition
    Rather than start a new thread, Iíll drop this here.

    One of the minor issues Iíve had with my X95 has been the rail/forend - I prefer round, the original is too short and Iím almost entirely M-LOK these days. Manticore just released a round M-LOK equipped forend that has me interested:

    Name:  03553164-377B-41F9-8CF0-C53C3EBB1302.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  22.0 KB

    https://manticorearms.com/product/x9...olymer-forend/
    Ken

    BBI: ...Ēyou better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weirdĒ...
    revchuck38: ...Ēmo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.Ē

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    S.W. Ohio
    That could make mounting a light much easier. I had an X95 for a short period. Mounting a light was one of the issues. Using the factory quad rail didnít leave much room for your hand.

  7. #27
    Site Supporter HeavyDuty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Not very bright but does lack ambition
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    That could make mounting a light much easier. I had an X95 for a short period. Mounting a light was one of the issues. Using the factory quad rail didnít leave much room for your hand.
    Exactly my issue. I ended up with a Magpul cantilever mount off the top rail and a TLR-1, but itís far from ideal.

    Sven got right back to me, he said they are considering FDE and OD versions for the next run.
    Ken

    BBI: ...Ēyou better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weirdĒ...
    revchuck38: ...Ēmo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.Ē

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    S.W. Ohio
    Does this handguard free float the barrel by chance?

    Iím half tempted to get another X95.

  9. #29
    Site Supporter HeavyDuty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Not very bright but does lack ambition
    From the installation video, it does appear so. But I think the stock one does, too if you take the white blocks out.
    Ken

    BBI: ...Ēyou better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weirdĒ...
    revchuck38: ...Ēmo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.Ē

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, Iíll drop this here.

    One of the minor issues Iíve had with my X95 has been the rail/forend - I prefer round, the original is too short and Iím almost entirely M-LOK these days. Manticore just released a round M-LOK equipped forend that has me interested:

    Name:  03553164-377B-41F9-8CF0-C53C3EBB1302.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  22.0 KB

    https://manticorearms.com/product/x9...olymer-forend/
    The only disadvantage to this is you don't have that front QD socket anymore. I know you can add one but it's like 2 steps foward 1 step back.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •