Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IWI X95 Review and Range Report

IWI X95 Review and Range Report

The X95 was released in the US 15 months ago as the next evolution of the popular IWI Tavor. Sporting an improved trigger, forward magazine release, and more user friendly rail space, the X95 has so far been a commercial success despite initial lackluster accuracy reports. Well, its been a year, so I picked up an OD Green X95 as a “traveling gun” to replace my SBRs when going out of state. Going into this project, I was hoping for a gun that was built around the STANG magazine, similar in size to a 10.5” AR, and able to keep most barrier blind loads under 3 MOA out to 300 yards. Here is my initial report and comparison to a Steyr AUG A3 M1.

Purchase date: 5/5/17
    Cost: $1500 + $30 shipping under IWI’s 1st Responder Program
    SN: T00732XX
    Overall Length: 27”
    Weight Empty: 8lb even on my scale;

The rifle arrives in a cardboard box with a Gen3 PMAG, cleaning kit, and manual. I first removed the factory flash hider, and installed a Surefire SF3P-556 behind the jam nut. Alignment of the flash hider and a Surefire SOCOM 556-RC2 suppressor was confirmed with a Geissele Alignment Rod. The factory hand guard was also replaced with the low profile trigger guard which can be had for $20 direct from IWI. I also field stripped, cleaned and lubricated the rifle. This included cleaning the barrel with Bore Tech Copper Remover (5 wet patches, nylon brush, 2 wet patches, and 5 dry patches). I then reassembled the rifle and function checked it.

Name:  IMG_2639.jpg
Views: 34379
Size:  98.3 KB
    Trigger
    The trigger is good by bullpup standards. It is noticeably lighter than the Tavor’s, but has a rolling breaking compared to the more crisp break found in most decent AR triggers. I measured the pull weight right at 5 lbs with a distinct reset. This is much better than the 9.5 lb break on my AUG factory trigger.

Sights and Optics
    The rifle has integral BUIS that fold into the top rail. The front sight has a white dot for faster target acquisition. For optics, I’m using an Aimpoint Micro T2 on a Larue LT660 (1/3 co-witness).

Now a word about optics mounts which can be problematic given how high the top rail sits over the stock. Most people will need a mount that would normally provide a 1/3 co-witness on an AR to get an absolute co-witness on the X95 when using a tradition cheek-to-stock weld. Shorter mounts such as the LT751 (absolute co-witness on an AR) will force the shooter into an awkward head position to see the optic.

This higher mount is important to note because the X95 already has a high rail over bore distance. Most optics on an AR’s sit at around 2.5-2.7 inches sight over bore and most calibrated reticles such as the ACOG assume this height. My Aimpoint sits closer to 3.5 inches on the X95. This extra inch makes bullet drop reticles very inaccurate for you ACOG lovers, and has profound impact on zero distances as you will later see. So, for magnification I’m using either an older Aimpoint 3X or the newer 6X detachable magnifier on a Larue LT755 flip-to-side mount. The 6X is a bit longer and has a much smaller eye box than its 3X cousin, but the added magnification helpful in getting an initial zero and making accuracy comparisons for this review.

Operation
    One advantage of the high sight over the bore axis is that the charging handle is low and very easy to manipulate without racking your knuckles on the top rail or optic mounts. This is a constant problem with my AUG as I must alway remember to retract the charging handle palm up or else go home with bloody knuckles.

For illumination, I’ve attached a Thorntail SBR offset mount for the Surefire M300 Scout that my kid plans to get me for Father Day. By placing the mount on the 12 o’clock rail just behind the folded front sight, the light will sit at about 11 o’clock and I can keep the factory covers on the side rails.

Range Performance
    I brought a mixture of Gen 3 PMAGs, Lancer L5AWM, and metal GI mags (BCM purchase) to the range for testing. Ammo included Lake City XM193, RA556B, Hornady 5.56 55 grain TAP GMX, and some left over SSA 77 grain Sierra OTM. The comparison rifle was a Steyr AUG A3 M1 with factory Steyr magazines, factory trigger, and a Leupold 1.24-4X VX-R Patrol in Leupold low mount rings.

Reliability
    Initial reliability testing involved cycling 30 rounds of XM195 fired from PMAGs, Lacers, and GI mags (total of 90 rounds). There were no stoppages and all mags dropped free. In addition, there were no stoppages during accuracy testing with any of the listed loads in the X95. A total of 190 rounds were fired through the X95. The AUG does not cycle RA556B and will experience a FTF about every 5 or 6 rounds with this and other rounded tip loads. However the AUG has reliably cycled about 1000 rounds of mostly M193 and M855, along with a few mags of 55 grain GMX and 69 grain SMK.

Accuracy

Temperature: 77F
    Pressure: 33 inHg
    Wind: ~ 5 mph

Accuracy testing was performed from a Caldwell Shooters V front sandbag and homemade rear sandbag. Optics were the previously mentioned T2 ahead of a 6X magnifier. A 75 meter zero was chosen to account for the 3.5” height over bore. This gives a relatively flat trajectory between 25-250 yards for most loads with no more than 2 inches of vertical variance. Once zero’ed, accuracy testing was performed using 5 shot groups of RA556B, TAP GMX, and SSA 77 grain OTM. The SSA returned the best accuracy with a max spread of 1.683” (1.61 MOA), followed by the 55 grain GMX at 2.407” (2.30 MOA), and the RA556B 3.075" (2.94 MOA). The AUG delivered nearly identical performance with GMX (2.41 MOA). Next, a 10 shot group was performed with the GMX which returned an extreme spread of 2.66” (2.55 MOA) in the X95.

Name:  IMG_2640.jpg
Views: 6379
Size:  54.2 KB

Velocity
    An average of 5-shot groups were as follows:

GMX - 3201 +/- 22 fps
    RA556B - 2990 +/- 10 fps; these numbers are higher than published specs and previous evaluations.

Suppressed Performance
    A Surefire SOCOM 556-RC2 suppressor was attached to the rifle. A 30 round mag of XM193 was fired without malfunction. There was a little more gas to face that I get from my ARs, but it did not hamper my performance. Then, 5 rounds of the GMX was fired to test shifts in point of impact. There was a 4” shift in impact due South with this load. This was the most shift that I’ve ever experienced with this suppressor on any rifle. I’ll update the thread once more testing has been performed with other loads and a Surefire SOCOM 556 Mini-2.

Summary
    This particular IWI X95 demonstrates acceptable accuracy in the 2-3 MOA range with barrier blind loads and 1.5-2 MOA with factory OTM ammunition. I say acceptable since a more precise reticle than the Aimpoint's 2 MOA dot, and higher magnification than 6X would have inevitably tightened the groups even more than what was seen. Reliability was 100% with all loads tested which is actually superior to my AUG that will not cycle Winchester RA556B and most other rounded tip loads. Although the weapon cycles suppressed, there was a sizable shift in POI. Additional testing will be performed and the thread updated.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-27-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I ran my X95 through a Super Dave course last year with zero problems. Very cool bullpup but I do miss the Tavor mag release. Overall I prefer the X95's handling though.

Fantastic review, thanks for sharing. Wish you lived closer.
    #RESIST

Great review !
    I have been keeping a eye on these but there sure was a lot of talk about accuracy issues when they first came out . Yours seems to be a improvement , very promising .
    Thanks again for taking the time to do a review.

I bought an X95 through a LEO sales program dealer last September. I had similar accuracy results as listed above. Mine would average around 3/4" groups at 50 yes when shooting Winchester RA556B. The gun was equipped with an Aimpoint T-1 with no magnifier.

Mine would not hold the bolt open with MagPul gen1 and gen2 PMAGs. But zero issues when using gen3 PMAGs.

I ended up selling mine off last week. I can't carry an X95 as a Patrol Rifle. The difference in the offsets from my 16" AR's compared to the offer with the X95 made me have to concentrate on off sets when shooting the X95. I found the weight rearward on the X95 made it a joy to shoot when up close, or when shooting with one hand. The weight rearward made it a challenge to shoot multiple targets or to shoot at a distance, or from a bench rest position.

The X95 was great for those times when one would be tempted to use an AR pistol, or when an HK P5 would have been preferred due to compactness. For now, my X95 sat in the safe, so it got sold off.

WHEn I retire in a couple of years and travel more often, I might consider picking up another X95.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    I ran my X95 through a Super Dave course last year with zero problems. Very cool bullpup but I do miss the Tavor mag release. Overall I prefer the X95's handling though.
    The Tavor mag realease position in relation to the bolt hold open allows for some wicked fast mag changes for people proficient with the platform. I think the X95's more "ARish" mag release was a bit of a compromise to guys like me who spend 90+% of our time around the AR and want to take advantage of that muscle memory.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Fantastic review, thanks for sharing. Wish you lived closer.
    You are more than welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I bought an X95 through a LEO sales program dealer last September. I had similar accuracy results as listed above. Mine would average around 3/4" groups at 50 yes when shooting Winchester RA556B. The gun was equipped with an Aimpoint T-1 with no magnifier.

Mine would not hold the bolt open with MagPul gen1 and gen2 PMAGs. But zero issues when using gen3 PMAGs.

I ended up selling mine off last week. I can't carry an X95 as a Patrol Rifle. The difference in the offsets from my 16" AR's compared to the offer with the X95 made me have to concentrate on off sets when shooting the X95. I found the weight rearward on the X95 made it a joy to shoot when up close, or when shooting with one hand. The weight rearward made it a challenge to shoot multiple targets or to shoot at a distance, or from a bench rest position.

The X95 was great for those times when one would be tempted to use an AR pistol, or when an HK P5 would have been preferred due to compactness. For now, my X95 sat in the safe, so it got sold off.

WHEn I retire in a couple of years and travel more often, I might consider picking up another X95.
    Yep, this gun will not replace my ARs except when traveling across state lines. I sometimes have little warning before hitting the road and my last couple of Forms 5320.20 have taken weeks.

My biggest reservation with this gun has to do with a commonality among bullpups and that is the mechanisms connecting the forward trigger and magazine releases to the trigger pack and mag well at the rear of the gun. In most bullpups and the Tavor/X95 particularly, those mechanisms sit right below the charging handle slot - easily accessible to mud and grime that is hard to then clear in the field. Thus, there are plenty of YouTube videos showing the Tavor/X95 suffering spectacular failures that deadline the gun after being dropped in muddy water or sand (of all things in an Israeli gun). While I have no plans to perform a mud test on this rifle, the failure reports are pretty numerous and follow a pattern of frozen trigger +/- one or more dead mag releases.

So, I've weighed the pros and cons and accepted that the X95 would not be a great gun for Jungle Phase or an amphibious assault. However, it is more than acceptable as a temporary long gun to accompany my family on vacation where there is a great need for compact size, maneuverability, etc.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-27-2017 at 11:19 PM.

I like my X95. I think a lot of people compare them to AR's and it just apples to oranges. It's a different tool in the toolbox than a 16" AR.

FYI Sensei I have the Manticore gasketed port cover and I'm getting almost zero gas to face suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

Yep, this gun will not replace my ARs except when traveling across state lines. I sometimes have little warning before hitting the road and my last couple of Forms 5320.20 have taken weeks.
    And this is why I bought my X95. The one time I didn't bring a long gun on a vacation/road trip, my wife and I took her father and his wife on a week long stay to Sanibel Florida. Two days into the vacation, hurricane Mathew threatened to hit south Florida and the entire eastern seaboard headed west to visit. This made leaving not an option and the roads were already packed to the point of being shut down.

In-between mentally kicking myself in the butt for not tossing a long gun into the trunk prior to leaving, I kept thinking that an X95 would be perfect for this situation. Especially when thinking of taking a hit from the hurricane and having to spend some time in an environment where services were minimized or shut down temporarily.

I did some research and bought a FDE X95 when I got back.

Like many manufactures, IWI refused to admit there was ever an accuracy issue with any of the X95 carbines. But the internet suggested there was an issue with the early guns. IWI quietly made corrections and the accuracy issues went away. This was about the time that the bolt was changed from a single ejector to a dual ejector.

I liked mine well enough for it's specific task. But at this point in my life, I can get by with a broken down AR for travel. I'm using the money that was in the X95 for a quality 1-? optic.

In a couple of years when I retire, I may well get another X95 as a dedicated travel gun.

Awesome review! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    FYI Sensei I have the Manticore gasketed port cover and I'm getting almost zero gas to face suppressed.
    Thanks, I'll look into the Manticore cover. Do you mind if I ask what suppressor you are running and the amount of POI shift?

I was getting a BIG (3-4" at 100 yards) downward shift with a SF SOCOM-2; much more than I've ever seen. I'm taking it out today with a SF Mini-2 and some other loads to see what shift I get.

User Tag List