Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for the AR experts

Question for the AR experts

I just picked up my 3rd AR, a Black Rain Ordnance Fallout 15. Got a pretty good deal on it with sale price and 10% off. My others are a Ruger MPR and a BRO Fallout 10 that was the subject of a thread here a couple of years ago. However I am not really well versed in them and have one persistent issue when cleaning my ARs, that being HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU REINSTALL THAT F%#$@&G FIRING PIN RETAINING PIN?? I fight with that damn thing every stinking time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

I saw a video by School of the American Rifle and he addressed that very issue. He recommends putting the split pin in so that the end of it is horizontal (parallel to carrier), looking like a spoon shape, and then while pushing it in put a little bit of downward pressure on it and it should slide right in. And, FWIW, I'm far from an AR expert. I stumbled onto that trick last week in one of his many videos.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 12-04-2023 at 02:15 PM.

If it is that much of a problem, KNS makes a different style:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/perma

Here's the video the poster above referred to:

Good luck!
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Thank you all. Found the video. I ordered a couple of solid pins. Hope that helps!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever taken apart my AR-15s bolt carrer group. Hose with brake cleaner → relube → shoot

I’m no expert, but I’ve never had problems with the pin. Maybe the one you are dealing with is spread apart more than normal?!? I don’t know for sure, but maybe putting a few hundred rounds with your stock pin might wear it in. If not, then get the KNS or a pack of replacement pins and use one that isn’t too spread out too far.

Site Supporter
    Wait a minute...

You guys are cleaning your ARs?

Just kidding. Kind of... Mine don't often get that level of cleaning, but clean or dirty I haven't had a hard time with the pin. I think I'd add a Colt replacement to my next Brownells cart and replace it.

I've never found it problematic. I'm kind of surprised to read this.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I don't think I've ever taken apart my AR-15s bolt carrer group. Hose with brake cleaner → relube → shoot
    I almost always clean after every day at the range. In this case the rifle is brand new and I wanted to clean the preservatives out of it and lube it with a proper lube. That being said I have had to fight with that damn pin every time I have cleaned my ARs. Hopefully the solid pin will be easier to work with.

When you insert it place pressure on the pin so that as you are sliding it in the tip angles across the inside top of its hole and over the firing pin as you press it in... Easier to do than to describe...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

User Tag List