Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IWI X95 Review and Range Report

The height over bore was an issue. It’s something I could have trained through. But I had to constantly pay attention with the X95, whereas with my AR’s it’s not something I have to give as much thought to due to years of training and practice.

My split times with the X95 were slower than with the 6920. My split times with a 6920 are slower than they are with one of my midlength has AR’s with a 15” handguard.

The X95 wasn’t purchased for 3 gun competition. Was the split times good enough for the intended purpose of the X95?
    Probably...?

For some reason, it was difficult to shoot from a bench rest accurately with the X95. It could be done, but it took much more effort than an AR, or even an AR pistol.

Transition from target to target was slower for me with the X95 when I was on a timer. This was to be expected with how close my support hand had to be to my body due to the short OAL than I am with an AR with a 15” handguard, or even a Colt 6920.

The rubber butt plate would catch on my clothing. IWI makes a nice, thin hard plastic replacement, but installing it shortens the OAL of the weapon to where it now becomes a SBR. (Gotta love NFA rules...) If you have an 18” X95, then you’re good to go. But I was buying an X95 for the short OAL, so I didn’t get the appeal of the 18” barrels.

Manual of arms for a magazine change felt funky when used to using an AR. I was never as fast as I am with an AR, but it wasn’t as bad as I’d assume it would be prior to actually owning one.

Things I remember surprising me were how easy it was to maneuver in a tight space, like a hallway. I also assumed it would be loud to shoot with the muzzle being closer to my face. But I really didn’t find it any louder to shoot than a traditional 16” AR using the same ammunition.

Bottom line is the X95 had potential to be a viable option for what I needed. But it didn’t work out as I would have hoped. Had the accuracy been on par with an AUG, or if the height over bore wouldn’t have been so much larger than an AR, or... if it were the only gun I shot so that I had the height over bore drilled into my brain, I’d probably have kept it.

Could it be a viable option for someone else to use as a travel gun that needs to have a small footprint? I definitely think so. I say this because I feel ALL of the issues I had with my X95 boiled down to personal preference. The gun was reliable, and accurate enough for the intended task.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Gen III law folder is a proven option. The extra length added to the cycle of operation actually helps reliability similar to the Vltor A5 system.

As much as I irrationally love the AUG, there are some real down sides to bullpups and you are giving up a lot of training / time on the AR platform.
    That’s the route I’m going for a travel long gun because it offers a few things I like:
    No NFA paperwork to deal with, commonality with my issued carbine, can be transported loaded in many jurisdictions that don’t allow transport of loaded rifles. I hadn’t thought of the extra length acting in the same manner as an A5 setup. I was going to build the lower with an A5 but now I think I’ll just use my Geissele coupon to purchase a lower and one of their Super 42 setups. I don’t know if the length of the A5, when added to the length of the Law Folder, would be too much of a good thing.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    That’s the route I’m going for a travel long gun because it offers a few things I like:
    No NFA paperwork to deal with, commonality with my issued carbine, can be transported loaded in many jurisdictions that don’t allow transport of loaded rifles. I hadn’t thought of the extra length acting in the same manner as an A5 setup. I was going to build the lower with an A5 but now I think I’ll just use my Geissele coupon to purchase a lower and one of their Super 42 setups. I don’t know if the length of the A5, when added to the length of the Law Folder, would be too much of a good thing.
    Even if it’s not too much of a good thing functionally, the LAW folder also adds a bit to the LOP. That’s why I asked about LOP in the long gun picture thread when the LAW folder with fixed stock was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Even if it’s not too much of a good thing functionally, the LAW folder also adds a bit to the LOP. That’s why I asked about LOP in the long gun picture thread when the LAW folder with fixed stock was posted.
    I found a GHW Tailhook Mod 1 on a Battlearms Sabertube and a LAW folder makes an extremely handy carb... um, pistol sto..., um, arm brace. Overall length is about perfect, and the Tailhook is the most practical arm brace I’ve ever used.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Rather than start a new thread, I’ll drop this here.

One of the minor issues I’ve had with my X95 has been the rail/forend - I prefer round, the original is too short and I’m almost entirely M-LOK these days. Manticore just released a round M-LOK equipped forend that has me interested:

Name:  03553164-377B-41F9-8CF0-C53C3EBB1302.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  22.0 KB

https://manticorearms.com/product/x9...olymer-forend/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

That could make mounting a light much easier. I had an X95 for a short period. Mounting a light was one of the issues. Using the factory quad rail didn’t leave much room for your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    That could make mounting a light much easier. I had an X95 for a short period. Mounting a light was one of the issues. Using the factory quad rail didn’t leave much room for your hand.
    Exactly my issue. I ended up with a Magpul cantilever mount off the top rail and a TLR-1, but it’s far from ideal.

Sven got right back to me, he said they are considering FDE and OD versions for the next run.
    Ken

Does this handguard free float the barrel by chance?

I’m half tempted to get another X95.

From the installation video, it does appear so. But I think the stock one does, too if you take the white blocks out.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, I’ll drop this here.

One of the minor issues I’ve had with my X95 has been the rail/forend - I prefer round, the original is too short and I’m almost entirely M-LOK these days. Manticore just released a round M-LOK equipped forend that has me interested:

Name:  03553164-377B-41F9-8CF0-C53C3EBB1302.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  22.0 KB

https://manticorearms.com/product/x9...olymer-forend/
    The only disadvantage to this is you don't have that front QD socket anymore. I know you can add one but it's like 2 steps foward 1 step back.

User Tag List