Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First IDPA Match & Review

was anyone mean to you, or did a bunch of folks welcome you and encourage you to have a good, safe time?

get involved. get to know the MD. offer to design stages (i've done a bunch). create a stage that you think reflect reality better than fishing with zombies. all kinds of variables you can play with to create an interesting and challenging stage. the possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    Okay, but you disagreed with Cory that IDPA tries to be something. Then you called their statement a pious platitude. You just contradicted yourself. Either it's trying to be something or trying to represent itself as something, or it isn't.
    No, what I am saying is that "IDPA" is not an individual. Somebody wrote the pious platitudes - Bill Wilson or one of the other original BoD, most likely - and HE wanted to represent a policy for IDPA shooting. But the rules and application don't always promote that policy. There is no "it" for IDPA.

It doesn't really matter outside the realm of gunboard discussion. I will attend a match on Saturday and go by the rules, policies, and procedures as applied at the individual range. And always considering Rule Zero.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

It was some additional complexity for sure. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but the stages weren't too awfully complicated either. I liked the increase thinking under stress that was required to run the stages properly.

The previous week I shot my first steel match with movement which was a good primer. While not as complicated as IDPA stages it got me used to the competitive movement. In training/class for example when we're moving we use the sul position, often because we're bounding over our partner to the next piece of cover. In competition you've got the 180* degree, you'll see where it slowed me down in the match as I had to figure out the best way to keep my pistol pointed downrange but run uprange.

My training has stepped up lately as I'm taking a 5...
    Awesome. I'm looking forward to shooting a match with added pressure. I think that is where the true value in competition is. If you can subconsciously use your firearm to make shots while your thinking about the problem your solving... that seems like a win to me. Performance under pressure while thinking about something else.

I don't have any match video. When I go to the match I don't really know anyone well enough to ask them to video for me. And, the only thing I would have to video with is a cell phone with a smashed screen. My camera died on my last range visit and I had to try to use my cell. It didn't go well... so I don't know about video. I'd like to get one. I think it would be really helpful to review after.

I think we're going to have to let those who believe the International Defensive Pistol Association doesn't attempt to market itself as real world defense continue on their way (Or the board who represents the entity tries to market it... semantics). I would really be interested in hearing your thoughts on USPSA if you get a chance to shoot a match.

-Cory

It was some additional complexity for sure. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but the stages weren't too awfully complicated either. I liked the increase thinking under stress that was required to run the stages properly.

The previous week I shot my first steel match with movement which was a good primer. While not as complicated as IDPA stages it got me used to the competitive movement. In training/class for example when we're moving we use the sul position, often because we're bounding over our partner to the next piece of cover. In competition you've got the 180* degree, you'll see where it slowed me down in the match as I had to figure out the best way to keep my pistol pointed downrange but run uprange.

My training has stepped up lately as I'm taking a 5-day CSAT instructor course in a few months. So while I didn't change my training per se I did start doing dry-fire 5 days a week, instead of just random times I thought of it. I've found it has really increased my first round speed, hit percentage and confidence.

I'd love to see some match video, do you post those in your journal?
    I was wondering about that. Do you think those were fairly typical IDPA stages? As a guy who has just started competition shooting last fall (USPSA), those stages seemed pretty easy and, well, almost boring.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    . I think that is where the true value in competition is. If you can subconsciously use your firearm to make shots while your thinking about the problem your solving... that seems like a win to me. Performance under pressure while thinking about something else.
    My thought exactly. And of the noted shooter who told his LE class, "I'm not here to teach you tactics or when to shoot, when not to shoot, I'm here to teach you HOW to shoot."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    My thought exactly. And of the noted shooter who told his LE class, "I'm not here to teach you tactics or when to shoot, when not to shoot, I'm here to teach you HOW to shoot."
    I just binged firearms nation podcast and heard that. I thought it was pretty spot on. Although i think it needs to be balanced with the other type of training.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 06-02-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I was wondering about that. Do you think those were fairly typical IDPA stages? As a guy who has just started competition shooting last fall (USPSA), those stages seemed pretty easy and, well, almost boring.
    It was a nice introductory IDPA match for me because it was such an easy layout. I watch a lot of match videos and was expecting something a bit more complex. It could have just been that specific club, it was my first time with them. I've connected with a club closer to me and will be shooting their upcoming June matches, hopefully they're more complicated. Unfortunately the only June USPSA match is when I'm scheduled to shoot a steel match with several friends. I'm hoping in July I can catch one, I've heard they're a lot higher round count.
    Last edited by Sterling Archer; 06-02-2017 at 10:52 AM.

generally speaking, local matches, with their limited budgets and time, don't have overly complicated stages. as you go up the ladder in Tier 2-4 matches (regional, state), the hosts like to show off for all the out of town guests, and have the time and budget to create more complicated stages. and when you get up to the national and worlds, some of the complication is actually taken back out so that the stages can run reliably for all 400+ shooters over 3 days. the Tier 2-5 matches have literally 3-9 months to plan and build their stages. local (Tier 1) matches are almost always set up the day of the match by the shooters.

simple does not always mean easy though.

User Tag List