Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First IDPA Match & Review

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    To be fair, everyone thinks they're brutally honest in their self critiques.

IDPA is just a game. Games have rules. Follow the rules, play the game, have fun. IDPA/USPSA/3 gun/ICORE/SASS are all gun games. Participation helps the shooter work under time pressure.

There's always a guy at a match who will tell you he's "just there to have fun". If you run that through your decoder ring that translates into "I'm not doing very well, but I don't care, because I'm doing this for a different reason than you". Evidently he thinks everyone else is there because of some sort of employer mandated program.

"I'm just here to have fun" or "I'm going to shoot it tactically" is an out to explain why they did poorly, in my experience.

So instead of trying to make something into something it's not, why not just play by the rules and enjoy the sport? You can do the tactical in your next FoF class, or join a local airsoft club.

I've got a buddy who is a Limited GM. He knows that I'm a recovering tactard. He said that his complaint about "tactical" shooters is that they take everything so seriously all the time. I agree.
    Thank you for illustrating my point. It doesn't matter what I say, you'll spin it fit your idea of what you think I'm saying to say instead of just listening. There is simply no help for that. Have a good evening.

Hey bud! Glad to see you over here. Seems you've gotten a wonderful reception with this thread. People seem to take your write up as a complaint thread about not doing well. Those of us who have had conversations with you for awhile now know different.

I think the big problem as I see it, is that IDPA tries to take itself seriously. IDPA tries to come off as the tactical timmy game that is more realistic. And I think everyone will agree on that. USPSA doesn't try to be "realistic" it is purely a performance and ability game. IDPA is too... but like you said it markets itself differently.

You've been doing steel challenge for awhile now, did a practical competition feel different? By that I mean were you worried at all about the additional complexity with reloads and movement? Did it feel like there was more pressure? I'm headed to my 3rd local club steel match this weekend, and am looking forward to trying USPSA sometime this summer. I'm wondering if there is a higher pressure level that I can get used to performing under. I'm also curious if you changed your practice regimen at all in preparation for the match, or if you kept going with normal practice just to see how the match differs.

-Cory

Its just me, but I'd proffer the primary difference between USPSA and IDPA with the new rules changes is that its more focused to moderate budget/competitors. With the addition of reloads generally anywhere and fault lines the differences are substantially with more focus on forced accuracy and slower game.

I think of it as "amble and shoot" vs. "run and gun."

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    IDPA tries to come off as the tactical timmy game that is more realistic.
    IDPA is not a conscious entity that "tries" anything. Some people try one thing, some try another.
    I find the IDPA Tacticians to be a lot more common on the internet than on the range. Most of us shoot the CoF for the best score, just like USPSA but with a few limitations.
    I am pretty sure Bill Wilson is not a "tactical timmy" and while I am not always sure what Joyce Wilson is getting at, I don't think she is either.

It is commonly said that "IDPA is "just a game."" Well, it is a game but it is not just a game. It is a business and its management is going to run it so as to improve revenue. They might be wrong on details, but they are working in their own interest.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

you can shoot matches and try to be the fastest

you can shoot matches and try to have the best score (speed plus accuracy)

you can shoot matches and try to be the most accurate

you can shoot matches and just have fun

there is never a bad day at the range, shooting your gun with friends.

if you try to get too much out of it, you'll go home mad and frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    You've been doing steel challenge for awhile now, did a practical competition feel different? By that I mean were you worried at all about the additional complexity with reloads and movement? Did it feel like there was more pressure? I'm headed to my 3rd local club steel match this weekend, and am looking forward to trying USPSA sometime this summer. I'm wondering if there is a higher pressure level that I can get used to performing under. I'm also curious if you changed your practice regimen at all in preparation for the match, or if you kept going with normal practice just to see how the match differs.
    It was some additional complexity for sure. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but the stages weren't too awfully complicated either. I liked the increase thinking under stress that was required to run the stages properly.

The previous week I shot my first steel match with movement which was a good primer. While not as complicated as IDPA stages it got me used to the competitive movement. In training/class for example when we're moving we use the sul position, often because we're bounding over our partner to the next piece of cover. In competition you've got the 180* degree, you'll see where it slowed me down in the match as I had to figure out the best way to keep my pistol pointed downrange but run uprange.

My training has stepped up lately as I'm taking a 5-day CSAT instructor course in a few months. So while I didn't change my training per se I did start doing dry-fire 5 days a week, instead of just random times I thought of it. I've found it has really increased my first round speed, hit percentage and confidence.

I'd love to see some match video, do you post those in your journal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    IDPA is not a conscious entity that "tries" anything.
    That's exactly what it is. Their consciousness is the board members/leaders who make the decisions on the sport. On their webpage under About IDPA is "IDPA is the use of practical equipment including full charge service ammunition to solve simulated “real world” self-defense scenarios using practical handguns and holsters that are suitable for self-defense use. The main goal is to test the skill and ability of an individual."

Someone had to write that and it gives an obvious direction of what they're trying to be.

That is what I term Pious Platitudes and a lot of it is not reflected in practice. At least not at a level that impresses a number of readers.
    You will find similar stuff in the introduction to IPSC and USPSA, which is roundly ignored at their events.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

That is what I term Pious Platitudes and a lot of it is not reflected in practice. At least not at a level that impresses a number of readers.
    You will find similar stuff in the introduction to IPSC and USPSA, which is roundly ignored at their events.
    Indeed. The stage where I was shooting from a simulated horse or shooting zombies while holding a fishing rod in one hand (don't lose your catch!) kind of belay that.
    Now some are much more focused in that area obviously or are more purely skills focused, but for most people (aka nonPoPo), real defensive scenario options are limited.

Okay, but you disagreed with Cory that IDPA tries to be something. Then you called their statement a pious platitude. You just contradicted yourself. Either it's trying to be something or trying to represent itself as something, or it isn't.
    Last edited by Sterling Archer; 06-01-2017 at 04:36 PM.

User Tag List