Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First IDPA Match & Review

First IDPA Match & Review

I recently shot my first IDPA match and I decided to write a review on IDPA as a whole and whether it has any relevance to real life usage of a firearm. As always I'm interested in feedback.

Here's a link to the article and video from the match: https://gunpowdermeditation.com/2017/05/26/idpa-review/

Games are there for testing your fundamentals, nothing more.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I hear they're also fun, or at least, I remember almost every match I've ever shot being fun. (USPSA - I haven't personally tried IDPA, although I assume it's also fun.) YMMV, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I hear they're also fun, or at least, I remember almost every match I've ever shot being fun. (USPSA - I haven't personally tried IDPA, although I assume it's also fun.) YMMV, of course.
    They get less fun the harder you work at them but yes
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

@Peally spittin troof!
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    They get less fun the harder you work at them but yes
    Fun diminishes as the frustration level climbs. True for any game I guess.
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    I recently shot my first IDPA match and I decided to write a review on IDPA as a whole and whether it has any relevance to real life usage of a firearm. As always I'm interested in feedback.

Here's a link to the article and video from the match: https://gunpowdermeditation.com/2017/05/26/idpa-review/
    Good for you young man. I think you'll find IDPA is a big bag of fun.
    EDIT: I read your review. You seemed to have missed that IDPA is a game. Did you lose that badly?

Thats why I run stages blindfolded (literally, seeing your target is for chumps). Whats more fundamental than walking!
    Plus everyone sees how awesome I am and leaves quickly in utter shame, so I always win. Sometimes they leave so fast they are burning rubber.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 05-30-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Good for you young man. I think you'll find IDPA is a big bag of fun.
    EDIT: I read your review. You seemed to have missed that IDPA is a game. Did you lose that badly?

I addressed your comments in the article. Unless you want to follow me around posting the same incorrect information, then feel free. Hope you have a better day and learn to not take an article you weren't remotely involved with personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    I addressed your comments in the article. Unless you want to follow me around posting the same incorrect information, then feel free. Hope you have a better day and learn to not take an article you weren't remotely involved with personally.
    I didn't take it personally. If I did my post would have included four lines worth of insults because I am mean and spiteful like that.
    Also you posted the link so I replied to the link. Don't post the link if you don't want comments.

Nearly every point you made is easily refuted with the simple admonition that ITS A GAME. Nothing I posted is incorrect.

To restate:
    *crowding cover is something new shooters do. you are not forced to do that.
    *leaning out is a result of the fault lines which are new and in place to take human variability out of the game (aka cover calls).
    *you complained about getting a call for not wearing cover. You must have missed where everyone else was wearing cover. Its a simple, basic rule and SOs will typically remind you if you come up to the stage without it. You argued it was Texas, well I compete (badly) in Central Texas. And?
    *you complained about ten round counts, when again, its a game and the rule is designed to take variability out of it (same as in production in USPSA).
    *you complained about moving while shooting. Other games have no movement whatsoever (steel challenge/bullseye). It just depends on the game. IDPA / USPSA / three gun have movement.

The old IDPA/USPSA WILL GET YOU KILLED!!! is an old trope and frankly its tiring. Its a game that is fun and helps you practice some of the basics. Its not designed for anything else. You wouldn't mistake Moto cross as evasion training.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 05-30-2017 at 04:27 PM.

As I said, I already addressed your comments in the article. I'm not going to engage with you when you continually won't read what's already been posted.

If you want to have a real discussion I'm more than happy to, I don't think that's what you're all about though. So thanks for your feedback and have a nice day.
    Last edited by Sterling Archer; 05-30-2017 at 04:32 PM.

User Tag List