Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Vicker's explanation of how to use a DA/SA

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM9 View Post
    Can you elaborate on what these advantages are?
    Well, some of these are personal opinions and observations but here you go...

1. A longer, heavier first pull provides a useful "stress buffer" - this, to me, is the big one. HUGE.
    2. Decocking and then thumbing the hammer when reholstering provides an additional level of safety. (Important to me as an AIWB guy.)
    3. Carrying a TDA gun decocked makes it a point and shoot device, like an easier to use SA gun (or a "safer" SFA gun) but with the above benefits.
    4. Once mastered, a DA trigger pull allows you to be more aggressive on the trigger on the press out ... without compromising safety.
    5. I shoot TDA guns better, faster. I am more accurate with the first shot and faster with the followups.

If I were to carry something cocked and locked I would be VERY particular about how the safety operated. How ergonomic is it? How much force does it take to disengage and engage? Does it physically lock the slide? A light SA pull is not something I take, uh, lightly
    Last edited by s0nspark; 05-27-2017 at 10:14 PM. Reason: clarifamationating

Thanks, good food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Haven't you made a commitment to nothing but glock for the next two years?

I think so many people get hung up on the TDA pistol trigger and make it more of an issue than it is.

I've got quite a few rounds through a TDA gun and my trigger press for everything is identical. No matter what type of trigger you have all you have to do is yank it to the rear without disturbing the sights. I think trying to remember and train two different techniques for the first shot and the rest is a mistake and a waste of mental energy.

This is obviously worth what you paid for it.
    lol just noticed the beginning of this post. Go fuck yourself Luke. If you have anything to say in response please pm or continue to disrupt my thread with your BFF GJM.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 05-27-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Ooops, posted this in response to something a few pages ago before I read mods warning not to discuss Larry's recoil.
    Last edited by Ed L; 05-27-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM9 View Post
    Can you elaborate on what these advantages are?
    FWIW I got quite a bit out of the discussion that ensued here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Trigger-Pulls

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Ooops, posted this in response to something a few pages ago before I read mods warning not to discuss Larry's recoil.
    I'm pretty sure we said:

Criticism of technique is valid. Criticism of personalities is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    FWIW I got quite a bit out of the discussion that ensued here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Trigger-Pulls
    Thanks for that link, this discussion has motivated me to really try to master the DA trigger pull. I've just been using it as a sort of "fail safe" when carrying, but when training, etc. I carry cocked and locked with the weapon in SA on safe.

Back to DA/SA. As long as you don't go full SA retard you'll be fine. Incorporate both pulls into every practice: single DA shots, DA-SA double taps at speed, failure drills, and DA shots on very small dots. I'd do all of this if I shot a 1911 or a Glock.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Back to DA/SA. As long as you don't go full SA retard you'll be fine. Incorporate both pulls into every practice: single DA shots, DA-SA double taps at speed, failure drills, and DA shots on very small dots. I'd do all of this if I shot a 1911 or a Glock.
    I'd actually disagree with this approach, slightly.

Initially a newcomer to DA/SA should shoot some range sessions entirely DA. lt'll take longer,but by shooting say a 100 round plus training session entirely DA the shooter will realize the benefits of a habitually engrained decocking procedure and consistent DA practice. Otherwise the only time they'd get DA practice is at the start of each drill on the first round,which automatically biases the session to a majority of SA trigger pulls.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I'd actually disagree with this approach, slightly.

Initially a newcomer to DA/SA should shoot some range sessions entirely DA. lt'll take longer,but by shooting say a 100 round plus training session entirely DA the shooter will realize the benefits of a habitually engrained decocking procedure and consistent DA practice. Otherwise the only time they'd get DA practice is at the start of each drill on the first round,which automatically biases the session to a majority of SA trigger pulls.
    That's OK, I disagree with you. I'd recommend a new DA/SA shooter dryfire extensively in DA, and work on DA and transition to SA in live fire.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List