Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions/advice for SW Colorado roadtrip?

Site Supporter
    Last summer we drove out that way, going through New Mexico before heading up to Durango and on to Mesa Verde.

Some of the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde were closed due to damage, and others could only be visited by a ranger guided tour. If you want to do one of those tours make sure you make reservations ahead of time.

Outside of Durango, I think on the way to Silverton, is the James Ranch. They have a little food truck outside where they serve food made from ingredients grown/raised there and you can sit and eat on pick nick tables overlooking the farm. The burgers were pretty good and the ice cream and cheese from the little store was good too.

We were headed for Ouray out of Durango, but we encountered a heavy mix of rain, sleet and snow that started just before Silverton so we just stopped there. Ate at Golden Block Brewery and the pizza was pretty good but I don't remember the beers. We stopped and did a couple short hikes afterwards but found it pretty tough going at that altitude.

Name:  IMG_1895.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  83.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1900.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  69.6 KB
    I did the alpine loop out of Lake City on a 4 wheeler. It took all day and 2 pairs of fresh underwear, I'll never forget it. My Father in Law paid for the ATV rental. I think he was trying to get rid of me, lol.

Have a good trip!

My dad has some quads. I bet he'd love to come down and try that.

Just as a heads up, the San Juans had a big winter this year (133%) and many of the high country passes mentioned above have yet to open. That admittedly might change in the next couple weeks but there's still a TON of snow up high. The river season has yet to even begin on the Upper Dolores and the San Miguel rivers b/c of colder temps. We had a couple freezing nights just this week.

Ophir Pass is open to the top from the San Juan County side only; the Ophir side is still closed. Imogene is closed, Engineer and the majority of the Alpine Loop are still closed. The South Mineral Road Road is open to the trailhead, but the Clear Lake Road is still snowed in, etc... Last Dollar DID just open the day before yesterday. I'd guess crews will be chipping on Imogene next.

While you're in the area, check out the Telluride Brewing Company. They're a smaller operation, but are gaining a reputation as a big up and comer.

http://www.telluridebrewingco.com

Banned
    OK this is a completely serious response.

If you can find a couple of hours and you like history go check out Rock Ledge Ranch. I almost hate doing alarm responses there during the day because the caretaker grabs me and gives me an in depth tour and detailed history of whatever building we're checking and whatever artifacts are in it. It's not that I'm not interested so much as I have to account for my time on the alarm response.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    OK this is a completely serious response.

If you can find a couple of hours and you like history go check out Rock Ledge Ranch. I almost hate doing alarm responses there during the day because the caretaker grabs me and gives me an in depth tour and detailed history of whatever building we're checking and whatever artifacts are in it. It's not that I'm not interested so much as I have to account for my time on the alarm response.
    If we don't go there on our trip I'll check it out myself when I get a chance. I'm big into history, particularly when I can actually go there and see stuff myself.

Ophir Pass is open!

Image from two days ago....

We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

BH a minor nit, sure you just mis-typed it but Black Canyon is just outside of Montrose, not Gunni.

IMO Black is a good plan, taken it in sev. X's after picking folks up @ Montrose & the visitors center near it run by the NPS has a good (30minish) vid. that was informative. If you are going to be in Gunni, why not run up to Crested Butte, maybe grab lunch there.

User Tag List