Thread: Week 218: 3x5 Range Push

Week 218: 3x5 Range Push

Week 218: 3x5 Range Push

Results may be posted until June 26th, 2017.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: Varies
    Target: 3x5 card
    Start Position: Shooter's choice
    Rounds Fired: Varies

You will need a shot timer for this drill.

Similar to last week's Speed Push, the Range Push is designed to force you to work harder at hitting a low% target under time pressure. Instead of lowering the time, this week we'll increase the distance.

Start position is up to the shooter but should be consistent throughout the drill. The 3x5 card should be placed horizontally (3" tall and 5" wide).

There are two strings of fire:

String 1:
    During the first string, your goal is to get 100% hits.
    - On the beep, fire two rounds at the 3x5 at 5yd; record the time and the number of hits
    - Repeat until you get three clean runs

String 2:
    During the second string, your goal is to push yourself to manipulate the gun faster.
    - Set a PAR time equal to the middle speed run (not fastest, not slowest) you had during String 1.
    - Put the target out to 6yd
    - On the beep, fire two rounds at the 3x5 card trying to get both shots off before the PAR time is up
    - If you got both hits under the PAR add 1yd to the distance of the target and go again at the same PAR
    - If you failed to get both hits under the PAR, go back to the last distance (one less yard) and try to do three clean runs in a row at that distance
    - Keep decreasing the distance until you can get three clean runs in a row under PAR, then stop and record your distance

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

- Start position (ready, open holster, concealed, retention holster)
    - PAR used
    - distance at which you were able to get three clean runs under PAR

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

- Start position (ready, open holster, concealed, retention holster): concealed/t shirt/AIWB
    - PAR used: 2.21 (2.46, 2.21, 2.12)
    - distance at which you were able to get three clean runs under PAR: 5 yards (1.85, 1.92, 2.02)

This was a deceivingly hard drill I thought, but a very good one. Once I started heading back down (shorter distance) I couldn't get three clean runs in again until I was back at 5 yards. I was happy that my times improved by the end. For me getting the three runs in consecutively turned out to be tough. Great drill and thanks for posting it. Have a good Memorial Day.

Ran this on Monday, wish I would of done mo betta. Found I miss my 2nd shot too much.

- Start position (ready, open holster, concealed, retention holster) Concealed, polo shirt. JM AIWB, G34
    - PAR used 2.30
    - distance at which you were able to get three clean runs under PAR 0, only had 3 clean runs at 5yd before par was set

String 1
    Took 4 tries when I started at 5yd to run one clean (even though I had just shot clean index card pairs at 7yd on previous drills, wtf?)
    5 yard start - 2.16- 1/2, 2.24 - 1/2, 2.37 - 1/2, 2.36 - 2/2, 2.14 - 2/2, 2.28 - 2/2
    String 2
    6 yard 2.30 par - 2.06 - 2/2
    7 yard 2.09 - 1/2
    Back to 6yd, 2.31 - 1/2
    Back to 5yd, 2.26 - 2/2, 2.29 - 2/2, 2.19 - 2/2
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Ran this with a g19 from a jmck AIWB under a polo.

Passed par at 6 & 7 yards. However pushed speed too much worrying about par instead of shooting sights. Dropped second runs at 7, 6, and 5 yards. Finally passed at 4 yards. Pushing speed instead of shooting what I was fully seeing led to one dropped shot on each of second run, which is another reminder for me to not just push speed in stff like drills and on competition day.

User Tag List