Thread: CRKT Tomahawks

CRKT Tomahawks

Added two new choppers to my new fetish, the CRKT Nobo and Chogan T-Hawks. My impressions based on my Cold Steele experience:

Pretty nice as is out of the box. Heads are tight, handles are better finished (darker stain). Twice the price ($40.00-$50.00 vs. $20.00-$30.00).

Both had a clear coating applied to the blade, which made them seem somewhat dull initially. A little work with something like an AccuSharp removed it from the edge and made a nice cutting edge, knife sharp.

Same 1055 carbon steel as the Cold Steel, but much thicker and heavier.

Handles on CRKT were 3" shorter than the Cold Steel, and shaped differently. CRKT were thicker, more oval shaped, Cold Steel thinner and egg shaped (pointy part of the egg on the blade side). I like the egg shape, as it allows you to orient the tool by feel. I also like the thinner handles, just my preference ( I wear large size gloves FWIW).

The CRKT Chogan is heavy, 2+ LBS. It is best suited for camping woodsy sort of tasks rather than running through the woods like Mel Gibson (Patriot) chopping Redcoats. It's handle is oval in profile and does not taper. It's my Jeep Hawk.

The CRKT Nobo is by far my favorite of all four that I own (CS and CRKT). The head is a bit lighter and the handle tapers to a more Cold Steele size at the end. It feels similar the the Cold Steel Trail Tomahawk; a little heavier but that's OK. The CS Trail Tomahawk is sexy, bit a bit on the light side. It would be my choice for a backup weapon if I was swinging on ropes boarding ships, along with my cutlass. I don't think I would choose an axe as a primary weapon unless there was no other choice.

Yeah, they all chop wood well, the CRKT Chogan being the best. Good steel and sharp cutting edge. The CS hawks have thinner blades, so they sort of stick more than the thicker CRKT blades.

Seems to me the CS Hawks lend themselves to customization, diamond in the rough as I previously stated in another post. I don't know much about actual historic Tomahawks, but the head profile of the Cold Steel seems to be a bit more historically accurate, the CRKT more modern and utilitarian. To turn your CS hawk into something that looks like it is from the 18th century colonial America, sand off the black paint on the head, blue or "brown" it, and refinish and embellish the handle. There are some YouTube videos on this process. Maybe I'll do this when I get bored, but that has yet to happen.

Interested. But...

Attachment 16908
    Last edited by texasaggie2005; 05-26-2017 at 07:51 AM.

User Tag List