Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas: Recommendations for a solid beginner pistol class NOT on Sundays

Texas: Recommendations for a solid beginner pistol class NOT on Sundays

Here's a doozy:

My mother and brother need a solid beginner pistol foundations class or two. They are in church Sunday and will not be training on Sundays. Friday/Saturday or even weekdays are fair game.

They both live north of Houston, but anywhere in the greater DFW, San Antonio/Austin, Houston, Bossier City, etc. areas are welcomed.

The goal is to get them safe and comfortable in a range class or match environment.

After asking around and weeding through a lot of the Google'd "instructors" I'm looking at:
    - KR Training near Austin
    - 360 Tactical in Houston
    - or simply hiring a good one-on-one trainer until they're up to speed.

I'm open to any input. Thank you.

Site Supporter
    KR training is good to go, as is HITS in DFW.

Another option in the San Antonio area is Kelly Vendan of Criterion Tactical. Highly qualified Instructor and mostly does 1 day courses on Saturdays.

How foundational are we talking here? A good friend of mine who works part time at Shiloh Shooting teaches really beginner type stuff through the range (this is how you reload, this is how you draw, etc.), I can talk to him a private class at the range. He's just a guy that's been to a few classes, but he's very cognizant of his lane.

Other than that, I support everything that HCM has said.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-25-2017 at 10:16 PM.

HCM, you're the first mention of knowledge about Venden. I asked around this weekend and no one had heard of him. Thanks! That may be the most qualified local trainer outside of Jeff G. Tiger Valley was another possibility, in my brief dealings TJ has always been a class act. I'll have you know HiTS is at the top of my family's training recommendation right now. I just want them to get some solid basics so they can hit the class running with reduced preoccupation and apprehension regarding their responsibility w/r to safety.

Default, I was looking far and wide this weekend for Houston-based trainers and ran across your Kenan Flasowski AAR on another site. Too bad I missed out on his open enrollment classes.

I've got my mother through 4hrs of of manipulations, marksmanship and mindset. She took a half day pistol/Krav class last weekend and was proud she was the "2nd best shooter" on the plate rack. She is a prosecutor in rural East TX and motivated by who she deals with.

My brother has LTC for years, no formal training and knows he needs realistic training. He is one of the motive and sane forces behind his small church's armed parishioner plan. So that's where they're at. Both could benefit from a baseline training session peior to formal training. They are good, common sense, humble people. I'd appreciate contact info on someone you trust. Thanks.

I'd really like to send them to John Murphy, but their local responsibilities have them tied down for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-P907A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    I'd appreciate contact info on someone you trust.
    I'll talk to my friend, and see what's up (gotta talk to him anyway since I've been trying to drag him into shooting Steel Challenge with me this weekend). I'll PM you either way once I get his replies.

I forgot, in the Austin area, there is also @Dr. No; as I recall, he's been meaning to get back into teaching. If anything, he might have some recommendations that we haven't thought of yet.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-25-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I'll talk to my friend, and see what's up (gotta talk to him anyway since I've been trying to drag him into shooting Steel Challenge with me this weekend). I'll PM you either way once I get his replies.

I forgot, in the Austin area, there is also @Dr. No; as I recall, he's been meaning to get back into teaching. If anything, he might have some recommendations that we haven't thought of yet.
    I've done a pistol class with Dr. NO - another good and highly qualified instructor but between his day jobs and shooting professionally for Mega he only has time to teach in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I've done a pistol class with Dr. NO - another good and highly qualified instructor but between his day jobs and shooting professionally for Mega he only has time to teach in the off season.
    Yes, I asked a mutual friend if AM was back, he wasn't sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-P907A using Tapatalk

Hey gents, thanks for the mention. I'm buried with work right now and have back burnered teaching for a bit. I'd point folks to Karl at kr training. They do great work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Anyone have a read on MAST Solutions in the Houston area?

Excluding Sundays does make it challenging.

Here are a couple of obvious options.

KR Training has Basic Pistol 1 and Gun Selection Clinic on the 7/17, and Basic Pistol 2 and Defensive Pistol Skills on 7/24. All are at their facility in Lincoln and would cost $325 total (plus ammo).

Jeff Gonzalez at Trident Concepts has one upcoming Saturday class on July 22.

Cheers,
    David S.
    Last edited by David S.; 05-26-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    David S.

User Tag List