Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential Kit For A Carbine Class

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Rob,

Just curious but what is the reason for the unpadded vs padded harness? Personal comfort or weight savings?

Thanks
    I find the padded adds too much bulk to no benefit the weight is better distributed across a flat strap that stays flat.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If your conditioning and heat acclimation is good, sure. For those of us who aren't always outdoors, a little hydration help is worthwhile in keeping sharp. Dehydration can cause mental "fog" for lack of a better term, which is a safety issue. Plus if I am paying for a class I want to be as alert as possible so I can get the most out of the class.
    I bring a big cooler full of iced-down water and Gatorade to every class I attend, and make a point of sharing it with my fellow students and instructors.

Twenty bucks is cheap insurance, to make sure everyone leaves with the same number of orifices they arrived with. I don't know if it has ever made a difference, but it sure hasn't hurt.

Most duty gear systems have an inner and outer velcro belt system as well. The outer duty belt or war belt has velcro on the inside. The inner belt, usually about an inch and a half wide, has Velcro on it's outside so when you put the outer belt on the inner they make a solid foundation. A few belt keepers finishes the system to ensure everything stay snug and in place. All of those can be found very inexpensively on eBay or forums. Just buy some old used police gear. Heck, I've got a couple items I could send you if you like.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    I'm extremely impressed with the AWS LAB system, definately worth checking out. Made in the USA too.

Did they manufacture it upside down?

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Man I wish I could make that student class. Too close to the wife's due date.
    Bring her along! My SO wants to make the drive down just so she can meet Paul. She's seen all his videos, and read his book, and just wants to make his acquaintance.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Chance, you could look at the gear made by TYR Tactical or HTC. Just go to the their websites and look for Velcro inner or outer belt systems. The idea is that you wear a belt through your pants belt lools that has Velcro on the outside. The second belt has Velcro on the inside, and carries your gear.
    I like this idea. It would take me 60 seconds to take off my EDC stuff, tuck in my shirt, and strap on the battle belt. This is what I ended up getting, just because it was too tacticool not to own. If it doesn't work, it'll be sold on PF for a steep discount.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Chance, I have probably everything you'd want to try out here at Rancho Serious. If you wish, you can come out and try them out before you buy anything. You are also welcome to run them in the class, and see if they work for you before you sink a lot of cash into something.

Belt rigs, chest rigs, carbine mag pouches, dump pouches, light carriers, weapon lights, holsters, etc...
    I'll take you up on that, especially with regards to pouches. I'll PM you, and the SO and I will swing by.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Changing from AIWB to 3 o'clock or so is going to be interesting. In your train up to Oct I expect you will commit to EDC that way as well. Might make sense to work out a suitable OWB/IWB holster with your regular carry pistol and be done with it.
    I've considered that. I'm actually very new to AIWB, and worked from an IWB at three o'clock for years. I need to learn the mechanics of the retention system, but honestly, I think the habit of pulling up my shirt is going to be the hardest thing to untrain.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    I'm not sure why G34 and 21rd mags are needed?
    They're not necessary, they're just quite a bit longer than standard mags, and easier to grab out of the mag pouch. I've never understood why people carry G19 reload mags for their G19: use the G17 mags, which are easier to grab, don't pinch your hand, and have those two bonus rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    I like to mix water (not distilled) and fruit punch Gatorade 50/50 with ice in my Camelbaks, maybe drop in a caffeine pill or two depending on the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    If I want a few calories with my electrolytes, Skratch. If not, the Nuun Active tablets are OK.

If you're not sweating a lot, plain water is fine.
    I have hyperhidrosis, and am never not sweating. I have a Source water system, which I bought after hearing about it on ITS. My plans to use it never came to fruition, so I can only assume it works.

At CSAT, it's not an issue, as you can pull your vehicles right up to the shooting line. At other facilities, this may become a major issue.
    Last edited by Chance; 05-27-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you are taking you carbine class in Texas, hydration beyond water is recommended - what are people recommending now that CamelBak Elixir is discontinued ?
    Vitalyte is my go-to. The big packages are convenient for home use, and they sell individual serving sticks that are perfect for adding to the ubiquitous 16oz bottles of water. Skratch Labs would be my second choice (if you qualify, they're on Promotive/Experticity).

Everyone is different, but what has worked well for me has been to drink a 1:1 ratio of water to water + electrolyte mix. I'll drink a bottle of plain water, then a bottle of water plus drink mix, and repeat throughout the day. I also find it key to snack continually all day, whether I'm hungry or not. If I don't do that, by about 1500 I start dragging ass and have difficulty staying focused. I like fresh fruit, Lara bars, granola, etc., and a light lunch, nothing heavy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Vitalyte is my go-to. The big packages are convenient for home use, and they sell individual serving sticks that are perfect for adding to the ubiquitous 16oz bottles of water. Skratch Labs would be my second choice (if you qualify, they're on Promotive/Experticity).

Everyone is different, but what has worked well for me has been to drink a 1:1 ratio of water to water + electrolyte mix. I'll drink a bottle of plain water, then a bottle of water plus drink mix, and repeat throughout the day. I also find it key to snack continually all day, whether I'm hungry or not. If I don't do that, by about 1500 I start dragging ass and have difficulty staying focused. I like fresh fruit, Lara bars, granola, etc., and a light lunch, nothing heavy.
    Thanks. Your hydration and feeding schedules are exactly what I do to deal with the TX heat on range days.

Hate to sound like a shill but for those who have to constantly deal with hot range days or heat in general, check out QORE performance. Ernest Langdon has a couple of videos on it explaining how they work. I wear them whenever I go shooting and it makes the brutal 90 degree weather here a bit more manageable so I have more concentration on what I need to focus my attention to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRQhcHsWjBE

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Hate to sound like a shill but for those who have to constantly deal with hot range days or heat in general, check out QORE performance. Ernest Langdon has a couple of videos on it explaining how they work. I wear them whenever I go shooting and it makes the brutal 90 degree weather here a bit more manageable so I have more concentration on what I need to focus my attention to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRQhcHsWjBE
    As a fellow South FL resident, this is something I've been meaning to try out. Do you notice a significant difference wearing them compared to not? My practice sessions last about two hours on average, so it's not like I'm out in the heat all day, but for classes where I'm going to be in the sun all day for two to three days, maybe worth the investment.

Best things I've ever brought to a carbine class were lunch so that I could jam mags and fuck with gear during chow, and shorts and sneakers. Not kidding.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    As a fellow South FL resident, this is something I've been meaning to try out. Do you notice a significant difference wearing them compared to not? My practice sessions last about two hours on average, so it's not like I'm out in the heat all day, but for classes where I'm going to be in the sun all day for two to three days, maybe worth the investment.
    I have two sleeves and typically use two coolpacks right on the brachials both left and right and it cools the body down quite a lot for me, enough to stop my body from "wanting to sweat" if that makes sense. The more coolpacks you have on you, the more effective the whole system is. I like to use only one or two (when I'm wearing both sleeves) since I only have four coolpack inserts that I can rotate around in ice water.

Fully charged, they last for about 10-15 minutes while wearing them. They are definately something that should be considered if you go to classes or do any sort of exercise frequently.

User Tag List