Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential Kit For A Carbine Class

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Back on the original topic, If you are not pre loading multiple mags, think about ammo on stripper clips and a Striplula or a Maglula if using loose rounds.

If you are taking you carbine class in Texas, hydration beyond water is recommended - what are people recommending now that CamelBak Elixir is discontinued ?
    I live in the southwest going on 25 years now. Mountainbiking, carbine classes, etc etc. I have never had any issue drinking anything but water.

Site Supporter
    It's been a few years since the last time I was at CSAT, but I honestly don't recall needing more than one spare mag for anything Paul did. Like Hizzie said, don't sweat it on the gear. Couple mag pouches on your belt, a decent holster, and you'll be fine. Kytex, tacos, 10-speed, whatever...all of them work fine.

I wouldn't quite go so far as to say that you should just run the course with mags in your pants pockets, because you need to pass the Standards for the Instructor course, and that includes a timed reload. Having a good open-top pouch you can access quickly will make that just a little easier.
    Last edited by Dave J; 05-26-2017 at 02:25 PM.

No experience with CSAT, but unless you're looking at multiple reloads in a single drill, I'd echo the recommendation of others here to use a single mag belt pouch for your primary reload...refill it between drills from mags stored elsewhere (chest rig or cargo pockets, etc), from the least accessible location first, if situation permits. I'd suggest a rigid open top one for class, since you will be refilling it often and some of the soft ones (10 speed for example) are difficult to refill one handed. I've had good luck with the Bladetech Revolution AR pouch, with the new tek-lok...you can find it for $30 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

ETA"
    I helped design this one. It's still my favorite. Get it with the un-padded H-harness and have them omit the tie-down points on the front. You can skip the admin pouch too.
    Rob,

Just curious but what is the reason for the unpadded vs padded harness? Personal comfort or weight savings?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you are taking you carbine class in Texas, hydration beyond water is recommended - what are people recommending now that CamelBak Elixir is discontinued ?
    If I want a few calories with my electrolytes, Skratch. If not, the Nuun Active tablets are OK.

If you're not sweating a lot, plain water is fine.

Lots of good information here.

I've done many classes with good ol HSGI Taco's and a Maxpedition dump pouch. I'm not a big fan of chest rigs, but they do give you options in a class setting as mentioned above to back fill your belt mag holders. I've used kydex mag holders as well, which work just fine but the Taco's allow you to use them off belt in other systems so you have more options. I've never used a war belt and prefer to use a regular riggers type belt.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    I live in the southwest going on 25 years now. Mountainbiking, carbine classes, etc etc. I have never had any issue drinking anything but water.
    If your conditioning and heat acclimation is good, sure. For those of us who aren't always outdoors, a little hydration help is worthwhile in keeping sharp. Dehydration can cause mental "fog" for lack of a better term, which is a safety issue. Plus if I am paying for a class I want to be as alert as possible so I can get the most out of the class.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    ...I don't think Esstac make a 5.56 Short with KYWI for belt?
    Closing the loop on this. I found Esstac belt loops for their Shorty single, double, triple pouches.

It would be sensible to have spare parts for your BCG or even a spare BCG at hand same as you would have a spare handgun when you go to a handgun class. I wouldn't be peachy if I had to sit out on Paul Howe's last class in his career just because my extractor or firing pin broke.

edit: my suggestion may have not been what "kit" meant in this thread's context
    Last edited by Olim9; 05-26-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Man I wish I could make that student class. Too close to the wife's due date.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List