Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential Kit For A Carbine Class

I'm extremely impressed with the AWS LAB system, definately worth checking out. Made in the USA too.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FOG; 05-26-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Bring Food, water, sunscreen and anything else that they say you should have on their website list. You may want a pair of mechanics gloves for your hands. I personally preferred batters gloves. Here is my kit: VTAC brokos belt with a cobra belt, 2 pistol mags for shooting strong hand, 1 for shooting weak hand, two AR mags, dump pouch, first aid kit with quick clot, tourniquet and a blackhawk serpa cqc holster. Name:  belt.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  62.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    I'm extremely impressed with the AWS LAB system, definately worth checking out. Made in the USA too.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Umm, interesting kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoover1 View Post
    Bring Food, water, sunscreen and anything else that they say you should have on their website list. You may want a pair of mechanics gloves for your hands. I personally preferred batters gloves. Here is my kit: VTAC brokos belt with a cobra belt, 2 pistol mags for shooting strong hand, 1 for shooting weak hand, two AR mags, dump pouch, first aid kit with quick clot, tourniquet and a blackhawk serpa cqc holster. Name:  belt.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  62.0 KB
    Two points for this who may come across this thread later as a reference:

1) Quick clot gauze (combat gauze) or the quick clot powder ? If the powder please do yourself or whomever else you might treat a favor and get rid of the powder.

Problems with the powder form of QuickClot:

- Must be applied directly to the source of the bleeding (i.e. the torn vessel interior from a bullet or blade wound).
    - Used in large amounts to control heavy bleeding, there is the potential for significant heat production, thus causing thermal burns.
    - Since the original powder form was so fine, it blew around with the slightest breeze, often into eyes causing severe ocular burns. The newer version is imbedded in gauze to stop that problem.

2) SERPA holsters have significant safety issues. For reference:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....anned-at-FLETC

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ning-the-SERPA

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ore-SERPA-DERP
    Last edited by HCM; 05-26-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Chance, Paul is a KISS guy as you know. From what I've seen he's still working from plate carrier and single strap drop (ALS/DFA/QLS) with a G19. Heck he still Co-Flexes his TQs to carbine stock. I don't think he cares as long as it works well. What does the class gear recommendation say?

For me, shooting from prone is not fun with a front loaded belt or especially duty/battle belt. Feels like you're a draped over a low curb. Can affect prone elbow elevation and neck angle. I'd run as slim as possible up front, maybe pushing mags more to side. Slimline double mag pouch or even single pouch. A pair of rifle mag pouches behind.

For rifle mags I've used a pair of affordable Safariland 774 w/Tek Lok mount behind pistol pouch. Teks are easily sized to most solid belts and can be positioned where you want. Not a Taco fan. I don't think Esstac make a 5.56 Short with KYWI for belt?, but I loved them on a plate carrier or chest rig.

Changing from AIWB to 3 o'clock or so is going to be interesting. In your train up to Oct I expect you will commit to EDC that way as well. Might make sense to work out a suitable OWB/IWB holster with your regular carry pistol and be done with it.

I'm not sure why G34 and 21rd mags are needed? Go as light as possible. At day's end you'll still feel like you're taking 30lbs off at the end of the day. Don't add to it.

Keep retention in mind both in the sprint portion and going prone to standing. Also consider weather compatibility/accessibility with your holster and other choices. We had snow at February pistol class there.
    The Safariland 774 rifle pouches are good to go if you are running a standard belt or a LE type duty belt.

Haven't used the powder in years. I am not being contentious but in my opinion if you don't have the trigger finger discipline to use a serpa, then don't use it. If the range you are going to be shooting on won't allow it, use another. For my tactical load out I have used either the serpa or a safariland dropleg holster depending on my needs at the time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoover1 View Post
    Haven't used the powder in years. I am not being contentious but in my opinion if you don't have the trigger finger discipline to use a serpa, then don't use it. If the range you are going to be shooting on won't allow it, use another. For my tactical load out I have used either the serpa or a safariland dropleg holster depending on my needs at the time.
    The quickclot gauze is great stuff.

Re: the SERPA- Read the attached threads. Note Glenn Meyer's comment about "Affordance" and human design factors. This, combined with the fact the engineer who designed the SERPA had never fired a gun before explains why the SERPA ps design is a problem.

I've personally seen the results of two SERPA induced ND's on the draw and I am aware of several more which occurred in the presence of my co-workers. Both FLETC and the FBI prohibited them after NDs with injury on the draw.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-26-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Ok. Don't use it then. This is not a hill to die on for me. I never said one has to use a serpa, i just detailed what I use on my personal kit. Don't violate the basic safety rule of keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    - Daryl

2nd place is a terrible place to be at the end of a gun fight.

Site Supporter
    Back on the original topic, If you are not pre loading multiple mags, think about ammo on stripper clips and a Striplula or a Maglula if using loose rounds.

If you are taking you carbine class in Texas, hydration beyond water is recommended - what are people recommending now that CamelBak Elixir is discontinued ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you are taking you carbine class in Texas, hydration beyond water is recommended - what are people recommending now that CamelBak Elixir is discontinued ?
    I like to mix water (not distilled) and fruit punch Gatorade 50/50 with ice in my Camelbaks, maybe drop in a caffeine pill or two depending on the situation.

User Tag List