Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential Kit For A Carbine Class

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Essential Kit For A Carbine Class

I'm finally going to take a carbine class after 200-ish hours of formal pistol training. Virtually all of that pistol training was with my typical EDC kit (concealed, A/IWB), and that setup isn't going to work in a rifle class. In addition to upcoming carbine training, I'm taking what might well be Paul Howe's last instructor course, and I would like to put forth some semblance of appearance in competence with regards to gear selection.

I don't mind sinking serious change into high quality kit, but that isn't necessarily saying, "Money's no object," so please don't recommend a belt made from quagga leather, and a holster adorned with ivory.

Here's what I suspect I'll need on my person:

Something I can attach equipment to (i.e., battle belt or a chest harness; leaning towards a belt, just because that's familiar to me);
    Two rifle magazines (AR-15);
    Two pistol magazines (ideally, something that'd work well with Magpul's 9mm 21 round Glock magazines);
    A quality retention holster for a Glock 34.

Like I said above, the only thing I've ever put any consideration into is A/IWB stuff, and I honestly don't have the first clue about equipment otherwise. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Safariland for the G34 holster.

Just run something like Raven magazine holders or BladeTech or even kytex shooting gear.

I just put it on my normal carry wilderness belt. I did put some extra magazines in my back pockets as needed. IF the range is gravel then knee/elbow pads could be worth it if there's a lot of transitions.

Not uncommon to see a lot of chest rigs and harnesses, but that shouldn't fool you into thinking someone is more knowledgeable.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 05-25-2017 at 03:33 PM.

For "battle belt" set ups, I've run Volund's micro battle belt and Velocity's OUB. Each is perfectly functional, though I would give the OUB the edge in terms on comfort. Each was been run with HSGI tacos for pistol and rifle mags. I like the HSGI stuff for their price point and the ability to adjust for different magazines or similarly sized items.
    Each belt was used on patrol in addition to SWAT stuff; so the fact that each is semi low profile (for a battle belt anyway) was a consideration. I'd imagine that if public perception and the concern about appearing "too militarized" wasn't an issue, a large fully padded molle belt may be more comfortable.
    For a retention holster, I dont see any reason to look beyond safariland; but again, that's based largely on my needs for said holster.
    Last edited by Rick62; 05-25-2017 at 03:41 PM.

I like HSGI Taco rifle mag carriers. I carry them on a regular leather belt. Never had a problem with the belt. The HSGI Tacos come with belt attachments now. Two of them, one mag in the gun, and one mag in my back pocket have been good enough on the line. I've never needed a chest rig or anything.

I try to load enough mags (pistol and rifle) so I can minimize mag loading at the range.

Sight adjustment tools if necessary. Zero ahead of time. Lube, cleaning kit just in case. Spare rifle, also just in case .

KISS.

Grab a standard OWB kydex pancake. Raven copy, something like that. Or save a few bucks and buy a Safariland ALS, just realize you won't be able to use it in as many situations outside of class for concealment as you would a pancake.

The Kytex AR-15 mag carriers seem to stay on the belt well unlike their pistol mag carriers, so they'll be easy to don/doff. That'll cost you about $30 I think.

Just use your regular pistol mag carriers you usually would.

Use everything on your regular belt. If you want to be able to quickly don/doff this class setup for lunch time to switch to concealment gear or quick get away at the end of class, buy one of the inner/outer Velcro belt systems on the market. There's a few brands out there, I can't imagine any of them not doing what you need given what you've described.

No reason to get all sorts of tactical stuff you have no use for.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-25-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Use everything on your regular belt. If you want to be able to quickly don/doff this class setup for lunch time to switch to concealment gear or quick get away at the end of class, buy one of the inner/outer Velcro belt systems on the market.
    That's sort of the idea I was working with, but again, I don't know what I don't know. What's an "inner/outer" velcro system?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    That's sort of the idea I was working with, but again, I don't know what I don't know. What's an "inner/outer" velcro system?
    I think he's talking about the DAA or CR Speed setups that are hugely popular in USPSA. Others may make them too. Very easy to strip off when you're done for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I think he's talking about the DAA or CR Speed setups that are hugely popular in USPSA. Others may make them too. Very easy to strip off when you're done for the day.
    I'm not familiar with those, just from the tactical side. We are issued them at work for low and hi-pro quick response to go from office business casual to "repelling boarders" in seconds.

Chance, you could look at the gear made by TYR Tactical or HTC. Just go to the their websites and look for Velcro inner or outer belt systems. The idea is that you wear a belt through your pants belt lools that has Velcro on the outside. The second belt has Velcro on the inside, and carries your gear. The idea being that when you get to class, you can slap it on and go from nothing to all your gear in seconds, and it's secured in place from bouncing around d with the Velcro mating to the inner belt (unlike a traditional battle belt). Same with doffing the gear to hit up lunch or drive home. You can do it as a low-profile option or have the outer belt be a battle belt type setup if that's what you prefer.

It's totally not needed, just something that some people prefer due to the convenience.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I'm finally going to take a carbine class after 200-ish hours of formal pistol training. Virtually all of that pistol training was with my typical EDC kit (concealed, A/IWB), and that setup isn't going to work in a rifle class. In addition to upcoming carbine training, I'm taking what might well be Paul Howe's last instructor course, and I would like to put forth some semblance of appearance in competence with regards to gear selection.

I don't mind sinking serious change into high quality kit, but that isn't necessarily saying, "Money's no object," so please don't recommend a belt made from quagga leather, and a holster adorned with ivory.

Here's what I suspect I'll need on my person:

Something I can attach equipment to (i.e., battle belt or a chest harness; leaning towards a belt, just because that's familiar to me);
    Two rifle magazines (AR-15);
    Two pistol magazines (ideally, something that'd work well with Magpul's 9mm 21 round Glock magazines);
    A quality retention holster for a Glock 34.

Like I said above, the only thing I've ever put any consideration into is A/IWB stuff, and I honestly don't have the first clue about equipment otherwise. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
    I run a battle belt with HSGI 7.62 tacos (which work with the 5.56 as well and a molle holster I was issued years ago that also conveniently fits my G17 with a 22 round ETS mag, a tq, tac light, and a couple pistol mags in double nylon mag holder I was also given and a dump pouch. I have extra fast mag holders for the SCAR to add more or less.

I add or remove tacos\fastmags based upon round count for the class I take. Anywhere from 3 to 6 rifle on the belt 2 pistol. Hence lightening or increasing the weight.

Here it is in all it's glory

If I need to I can throw a camelpack on for water if it's hot and we are moving a lot.
    Last edited by eb07; 05-25-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Chance, I have probably everything you'd want to try out here at Rancho Serious. If you wish, you can come out and try them out before you buy anything. You are also welcome to run them in the class, and see if they work for you before you sink a lot of cash into something.

Belt rigs, chest rigs, carbine mag pouches, dump pouches, light carriers, weapon lights, holsters, etc...

User Tag List