Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 round G19 Magazine Project

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I'm spending a lot of time in the East Greenwich, RI area now, which is just South of Boston. While RI doesn't restrict capacity, I find myself in MA pretty regularly. I'm been bonding with a 4th Gen 26 the last few months just for that reason. The G26 gives me just a bit more dress around options and I'm only dealing with one gun while flying.

I personally feel I'm giving up some time and consistency on the draw going from the 17/19 to a 26, but its likely not significant in the food court at the Providence mall.

I did just order a couple of 10 rd mags for a 19, just to see how they work. I'm expecting them to not, but who knows.
    I gotta get a g26 sometime to replace this shield, or maybe a g43. Who knows..

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I did just order a couple of 10 rd mags for a 19, just to see how they work. I'm expecting them to not, but who knows.
    Ive seen DocGKRs comments and others about them not working well, but so far the handful Ive had for 8 or 10 years have been OK in practice shooting Ive done with them. It makes me curious if theres some quirks about the guns that may bear on their function, perhaps as Wayne has said about the ejection without a mag being a likely precursor to other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I gotta get a g26 sometime to replace this shield, or maybe a g43. Who knows..
    The G26 definitely punches above it's weight. I had a G43 and swapped it for a 4th Gen 19 with Steve. I have XL hands, and even with the Talon Grip, it was pretty squirmy because it was just too small for me to grip well. The G42 doesn't have enough recoil to move much and I shoot that little toy pretty well. I have over a 1,000 rds through my G42 and really like it for a pocket gun.

I could see a low key application for a G43, but G26 hides pretty well. I've just about gone 17 and 26, with the 19s mostly sitting in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive seen DocGKRs comments and others about them not working well, but so far the handful Ive had for 8 or 10 years have been OK in practice shooting Ive done with them. It makes me curious if theres some quirks about the guns that may bear on their function, perhaps as Wayne has said about the ejection without a mag being a likely precursor to other problems.
    Most of the Doc's complaints were from using HSTs and 147gr. flat nosed FMJ. Feeding issues were the main problem even with newer manufactured samples. This project is to determine what it would take to make them work.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It could be pretty affordable (about the same as a case of steel case 9mm) to pick up a lower with all the parts still in it off GB. Just swap your slide back and forth between lowers depending where you're taking it.
    That might actually work. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for deals on lowers.

OK, I didn't think so, but was surprise when that was mentioned.

I know a couple guys in Illinois, they have a bunch of shooting stuff going on thru the summer. I think many get focused on the laws and think of it as not being gun oriented, but the people don't seem deterred much.
    My bad, I thought Illinois had magazine restrictions. They practically have every other idiotic restriction...

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Consider even a pair of J Frames, or something that you (or a spouse) would use on a semi-regular basis in your regular AO (jogging gun, lounge around the house gun, purse gun, etc). If the bride is a non enthusiast, but is willing to at least do some familiarization fire with a revolver, the 10 round issue could actually be an opportunity, rather than a hindrance.

Picking up a K Frame-J Frame combo, or 2 J Frames, or whatever, that essentially operate in the same fashion, and can be run by the person with the least amount of training in the house makes a fair bit of sense. For a traveling gun, something that she is comfortable unloading and reloading as she sees fit, in various environments may not be so bad. Odds are as a shooting enthusiast, you are going to be competent in conflict resolution, no matter what you have in your hands (within reason).
    It's something I've considered. I do have a Shield (I think I mentioned that in the OP) so I'm not totally without at least something. The thing that keeps bringing me back is that the wife has a .gov job and if her job gets relocated, we're moving to follow it. There's a decent chance that if that happened, we'd be moving to a ban state, and now I'd have to do something about my Glocks anyway.

I'm trying to find a solution pro-actively before that happens so that I can either just have a solution for my Glocks or know exactly what I'm moving to en masse by changing platforms. The G30/G36 had crossed my mind, but then I'd be in .45auto territory when I'd prefer to stick with 9mm because that shit is expensive. The simplest turn-key solution would be G26, but if I'm moving to ban-state land then it wouldn't really be all that different than changing platforms anyway (all 10 round G26 mags, smaller holsters, etc.).

I read through the thread but may have missed whether the original 2183 followers were actually a problem in this thread's Glock.
    Not all G19 models have a problem with specific ammo and 10 round mags with the #2183 followers.

An alternative is going with a G26gen3 or G26Gen4 which already come with 10 round mags.
    Going with the G26 models (for 10-round concerns) will let one have more peace of mind and save the continual need to test the G19 10-round mags due to worrying.

I caught there's already an S&W Shield and don't quite understand why the bother with the Glock 19 as the S&W Shield is a fine gun, especially if it's just for travel/holiday/family/vacation times. I'm just saying the G26 models are similar enough to the G19 should there be some reason why the S&W Shield isn't being used.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Most of the Doc's complaints were from using HSTs and 147gr. flat nosed FMJ. Feeding issues were the main problem even with newer manufactured samples. This project is to determine what it would take to make them work.

I missed that detail. Makes sense to figure it out. Ive shot mostly WWB in the 10 rd mags.

I missed that detail. Makes sense to figure it out. Ive shot mostly WWB in the 10 rd mags.
    Based on what I've been able to glean 115gr and 124gr ball should function fine enough in the neutered magazines. Given that I find it irresponsible to carry FMJ when good JHP loads are available I don't really consider that an option. Although I think there are some states that ban civilians from carrying JHPs, so there's that.

User Tag List