Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 round G19 Magazine Project

10 round G19 Magazine Project

As I continue to amass more Glock magazines and, slowly but surely, more Glock pistols, it occurs to me that it might be prudent to make sure that it works with neutered magazines for when I have to venture into one of those silly ban states. As it so happens my wife's family is from the Boston area so it's only a matter of time before we make trips there from time to time. I also have family near Illinois and California, so that'll be a thing too.

Given that I need to find a solution so that I can continue carrying my G19(s) in those states and actually have them work. If that can't be a thing, then I'll have to find something else and/or carry my Shield during those times.

Now I know 10 round G19 magazines are generally unreliable, but I figured that I would at least try to make some work reliably and figure out what it would take to make that happen. If I can find out the secret sauce to doing that, awesome! If not, then I'll look into alternative solutions. So far I've purchased 2 recently manufactured 10 round G19 magazines. I've already replaced the 2183 or something shite followers with 9mm6 followers.

I've only run 10 rounds through each so far and both magazines failed to lock open on the last round. Both had 0 hiccups on AE 115gr. FMJ. Immediately after both magazines were emptied I loaded up 10 rounds into one of my trusty Magpul practice mags and slung 10 rounds downrange. It locked open on an empty mag. My grip is such that it NEVER forces the slide lock up, so I know it's not my grip. These are the only two magazines that have ever exhibited this behavior in this gun, so I've sufficiently narrowed it down to these 2 magazines, which means it's not the slide lock nor it's spring. It seems to me that the follower on the magazine might be to blame, but they're both brand new 9mm6 followers. Is it possible that they're not jiving correctly with the magazine bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    As I continue to amass more Glock magazines and, slowly but surely, more Glock pistols, it occurs to me that it might be prudent to make sure that it works with neutered magazines for when I have to venture into one of those silly ban states. As it so happens my wife's family is from the Boston area so it's only a matter of time before we make trips there from time to time. I also have family near Illinois and California, so that'll be a thing too.

Given that I need to find a solution so that I can continue carrying my G19(s) in those states and actually have them work. If that can't be a thing, then I'll have to find something else and/or carry my Shield during those times.

Now I know 10 round G19 magazines are generally unreliable, but I figured that I would at least try to make some work reliably and figure out what it would take to make that happen. If I can find out the secret sauce to doing that, awesome! If not, then I'll look into alternative solutions. So far I've purchased 2 recently manufactured 10 round G19 magazines. I've already replaced the 2183 or something shite followers with 9mm6 followers.

I've only run 10 rounds through each so far and both magazines failed to lock open on the last round. Both had 0 hiccups on AE 115gr. FMJ. Immediately after both magazines were emptied I loaded up 10 rounds into one of my trusty Magpul practice mags and slung 10 rounds downrange. It locked open on an empty mag. My grip is such that it NEVER forces the slide lock up, so I know it's not my grip. These are the only two magazines that have ever exhibited this behavior in this gun, so I've sufficiently narrowed it down to these 2 magazines, which means it's not the slide lock nor it's spring. It seems to me that the follower on the magazine might be to blame, but they're both brand new 9mm6 followers. Is it possible that they're not jiving correctly with the magazine bodies?

Stuck here in CT....I've replaced all of my 10 round 19 magazines with the 9mm3 followers. Knock on wood, not an issue with 115 AE, 115 blazer brass, 115 aguila, 124 AE, 147 lawman and 147 grain HST's.

What I did notice is that the 2183 follower places the bullet on a very flat angle as opposed to the #3 follower that appears to place the round on a similar angle to the standard capacity magazines.
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 05-25-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    Stuck here in CT....I've replaced all of mine with the 9mm3 followers. Knock on wood, not an issue with 115 AE, 115 blazer brass, 115 aguila, 124 AE, 147 lawman and 147 grain HST's.
    Do they lock open on the last round? How many rounds do you have through them?

I ask because DocGKR has reported issues with using new magazines and the 9mm3 followers which makes me leery of them.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Do they lock open on the last round? How many rounds do you have through them?

I ask because DocGKR has reported issues with using new magazines and the 9mm3 followers which makes me leery of them.

Indeed they do lock open. This is with the standard glock slide stop and the vickers as well. The magazines probably have in the area of 5-6K through them. I have some standard capacity magazines that are "permitted" to be used in the home or at the range, but I do train and carry with the 10s. I had heard a nasty rumor that glock was going to re-design their 10 rounders but I'm not holding my breath. When I called glock and told them about issues with the previous 2183 follower not locking the slide back they sent me the #3 followers as a solution. This is just my observation from my limited experience. The #3's also allow the 10th round to be loaded into the magazines much easier than the 2183.

eta: this is a 4th gen 19.
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 05-25-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-25-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have 2 circa 2003 ten round G-19 mags that came new with my 2003 G-19. They have 2183-1 followers. I only use them on the range, but I don't think either has ever had a failure. Probably only a few hundred rounds through each mag. Just a sample of 2. I wonder if the older 10 round mags might be better??

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yup, I've read through that one. If it comes to that, I might have to perform surgery, but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to.

I've been meaning to dig back through old threads on this issue, but as we have a new one and I'm lazy...

For many years I've been traveling to CA frequently with full-capacity mags, only learning last year that I've been out of bounds. I bought three recent 10-rd G19 mags to test (2183 follower), and they've given me zero problems thus far, in only 300-400 rounds. I've run them at top speed, one handed, deliberately limp-wristed, etc., with no issues. Most of those have been 124+P Gold Dot, as I want to prove them with carry ammo.

This isn't enough rounds for me to trust them, but...what problems am I supposed to expect?

10 round G19 Magazine Project

.. So far I've purchased 2 recently manufactured 10 round G19 magazines. I've already replaced the 2183 or something shite followers with 9mm6 followers.

I've only run 10 rounds through each so far and both magazines failed to lock open on the last round.
    The 10 round mag bodies have a protrusion in the front right corner of the mag (when looking down at the top of the mag with the bullets pointing away from you) that needs to be filed down to let the 6 follower go all the way up. If you compare a regular mag with your 10 round mag with the 6 follower side by side I would expect that the follower in the 10 round mag will protrude less out of the top of the magazine than the regular magazine. That could impact slide lock function. Might be worth checking on your mags.
    Last edited by IceDevil; 05-25-2017 at 05:43 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Yup, I've read through that one. If it comes to that, I might have to perform surgery, but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to.

It could be pretty affordable (about the same as a case of steel case 9mm) to pick up a lower with all the parts still in it off GB. Just swap your slide back and forth between lowers depending where you're taking it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List