Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealed Carry Up 215%, Murder Rate Down 14%

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    If you want to keep our side of the debate honest you will need to find a better source than John Lott, aka Mary Rosh, and "More Guns, Less Crime."

http://reason.com/archives/2003/05/0...y-of-mary-rosh
    . . . consider the case of John R. Lott, author of More Guns, Less Crime, which argues that concealed-carry gun laws reduce crime. In 1999 the sociologist Otis Dudley Duncan questioned Lott's claim that "if national surveys are correct, 98 percent of the time that people use guns defensively, they merely have to brandish a weapon to break off an attack."

The major research on defensive gun use, Duncan objected, had shown firing rates ranging from 21 percent to over 60 percent. Lott replied that "national surveys" actually referred to his own heretofore unknown survey of 2,424 households. When Duncan pressed him for the survey data, Lott demurred, saying a hard drive crash had destroyed his data set and the original tally sheets had been lost. In fact, there seemed to be no record at all of the study, nor could Lott recall the names of any of the students who he said had worked on it. Some people began to suspect the study, which is tangential to Lott's conclusions in More Guns, didn't exist. . .

. . . Meanwhile, several of the bloggers who had been writing about the controversy -- a group that included me -- drew the ire of someone called Mary Rosh. Rosh, who identified herself as a former student of Lott's who had long admired his fairness and rigor, said that it was irresponsible to post links to the survey debate without calling Lott first. This sounded odd, not only because bloggers very seldom do that kind of background research before posting a link, but because Lott had made precisely the same criticism several times in e-mails to bloggers covering the story.

A Google search revealed that Rosh had for several years been a prolific contributor to Usenet forums, where she regularly and vociferously defended the work of Lott. On a whim, I compared the I.P. address on Rosh's comment to the one on an e-mail Lott had sent me from his home. They were the same.

I posted all of this, and to his credit Lott confessed. "The MaRyRoSh pen name account," he explained, "was created years ago for an account for my children, using the first two letters of the names of my four sons."

The news spread quickly, and the second round of distributed investigation began. Bloggers unearthed old posts by "Rosh" and linked to them on their sites. Among the gems: "[Lott] was the best professor that I ever had....Lott finally had to tell us that it was best for us to try and take classes from other professors more to be exposed to other ways of teaching graduate material." Many were troubled by Rosh's apparent attempt to get an online interlocutor, who claimed to have anonymously peer-reviewed one of Lott's papers, to reveal his identity. (Lott later told The Chronicle of Higher Education that he was merely trying to force his opponent to confess that he had lied about being an academic.) . . .
    I am aware that Lott is a controversial figure. I carefully stated that his book should be read to provide background on how hard it is to establish causation. His book is an excellent source to investigate how complex this issue is.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    I am aware that Lott is a controversial figure. I carefully stated that his book should be read to provide background on how hard it is to establish causation. His book is an excellent source to investigate how complex this issue is.
    How does it go, argue the facts, if the facts don't support you argue the person...?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    How does it go, argue the facts, if the facts don't support you argue the person...?
    In this case the person lies about the facts. It's a problem with both.

He's not just "controversial," he's a liar, and just as disgraceful/dishonest as Michael Bellesiles. Most importantly he lies about the very issues relevant to the gun control topic, and commits fraud to shore up those lies. It's not like he's known for being honest in his work, but lying to his wife about playing poker with friends rather than working late.

For those that are looking for real information, his information is completely worthless, as nothing he says can be trusted. However, some people still want to refer to him merely because they like his message, regardless of the total lack of credibility.
    Last edited by DMF13; 05-27-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Not necessarily. Research and experience shows some CCW involved defensive incidents end once Mr Thug realizes his victim has a weapon. The risk of getting shot vs the reward of a stickup or carjacking means they take off to easier prey.

In these events there may not even be a police response logged - Mr Thug won't necessarily call the cops,and the citizen may decide not to since no crime was technically committed.. Which means tracking these non-incidents in crime data would be difficult.
    This is a very good point and makes it hard to judge exactly how many defensive gun uses take place.

Someone better at Google than I can probably do a better job of finding a more recent number. The best I could find was this 20 year old document from the Department of Justice that places the the DGUS at 108,000. Go to page 8 of the following document:
    https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf.

However, as GardoneVT states, this probably omits a lot of DGUs because they go unreported.

I had trouble with the Lott numbers even aside from the question of their legitimacy of his research. I don't think his surveyed number can be extrapolated against the US at large, since you have many populous states, NY, NJ, CA, that have lower rates of gun ownership and restrictive carry laws and in places like NJ, NYC, and MA, restrictive laws on the possession of firearms.

So I think the Lott estimate of 2.5 million DGUs is unrealistically high. This would mean that there are more than twice as many DGUs as there were violent crimes in the US--an estimated 1,163,146 in 2013 according to the FBI Uniformed Crime Statistics: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...rimemain_final. Then again, these crime estimates may themselves be low.
    Last edited by Ed L; 05-28-2017 at 01:01 AM.

User Tag List