Bravo. Well done. He deserves nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg23 View Post
I think about Steve more than I thought I would - usually when I'm shooting, or when I hear some outlandish claim about some shooting incident on the news.

I know there are people on this forum that knew Steve better than I did. But I was fortunate to know him as a friend. I spent a fair amount of time with him in those final months (less than I would have liked, but still quite a bit). We would still meet for lunch, but less frequently than we did "pre-cancer," because he had good days and bad days.

Once he reached the stage of not being able to drive, I would pick him up to get lunch, or to go to the local (Baker) pistol range. Eventually he reached the point where these activities were no longer viable. So I would call ahead and just hang out with him on his patio for a couple of hours, talking about whatever things he wanted to discuss.

He was incredibly smart, amazingly articulate, and had a sense of humor that was acerbic, unfiltered and never failed to make me laugh. If Steve wanted to express an opinion, you received an unvarnished, sometimes blunt, version of his point of view.

I have never met a person, other than my dad, whom I respected more than Steve. As I have said before, I don't know why Steve picked me for a friend, but I'm a better person for having known him. And the world is a lesser place without his presence.