Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any photos of kydex AIWB holsters being used with soft-loops?

Any photos of kydex AIWB holsters being used with soft-loops?

I moved last year from a plain-Jane leather AIWB holster with a cheap metal clip to a JMCK AIWB with solid split loops and a foam wedge and I'm noticing that there's a trade-off between concealability of the grip of the gun and that at the waistline. In other words, at least for me and for my manner of dress, I'm finding that the solid kydex loops add bulk at the belt (and of course better all-around quality) while better concealing the grip of the gun.

If there's a way to reduce the footprint at the belt-line while retaining everything else, this holster is going to be the holster for me. Any suggestions within the kydex, foam-wedged AIWB holster world on how to accomplish this? Do soft-loops accomplish this? Any belt attachments that spread out the loops enough to flatten the profile a bit?

Any help/photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have been using soft loops that are properly sized for my belt; currently using a custom JMCK AIWB. No noticeable printing due to the loops, although I also offset my belt buckle to minimize bulk. I can take a picture after work.

There is only one type of clip which I have found to flatten the profile completely while aiding in retention above other metal clips on the market.

It has a backward, belt facing, tooth which grips onto the belt and does not allow the holster to be removed without properly moving the clip off the belt. It also allows for the holster to move around, which is important for certain types of carry applications.

http://instagram.com/p/BREDTJBBrAi/

The JM 2.5 Wing Claw above is a good example of pushing a pull the dot outward in order to provide the most natural rounded shape/print while carrying aiwb.

I carry the Seraph with both configurations from time to time switching as needed. If I am wearing shorts and t-shirt I will use the clip as it best conceals any method of retention at the belt. If I am wearing pants and a button down, sweater or jacket, I prefer to switch back to two pull the dots (like above) in the same type of position.

If I am carrying tradition strong side 3-4:30, I will carry with pull the dots as I prefer them, cut down to the belt size for non-movement.

I am also working on a write up of a few modifications to the wing claw in order to have it conceal better.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

You can make the soft loops lay flatter by clamping them down and applying a little heat with a heat gun. This helps keep the loops laying flat as possible against the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by rdyer View Post
    You can make the soft loops lay flatter by clamping them down and applying a little heat with a heat gun. This helps keep the loops laying flat as possible against the belt.
    +1 for this recommendation.

Also, the metal clip that voodoo_man recommended is pretty awesome.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Awesome - thanks for the feedback so far. Regarding the soft-loops, do they still do an adequate job of keep the holster and gun in the same place or do they allow some level of movement? I value the fact that the fixed loops keep the gun locked into place.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Awesome - thanks for the feedback so far. Regarding the soft-loops, do they still do an adequate job of keep the holster and gun in the same place or do they allow some level of movement? I value the fact that the fixed loops keep the gun locked into place.
    If set correctly to the belt width, they will not slide along the belt, but they will have just enough flex that the holster can adjust slightly when you bend or sit.

If you could describe your belt bulge a bit better (see what I did there) we could help a bit more thoroughly.

What is your build and waist size? Chest to waist ratio?

I have a slight dad-pouch currently, and my standard JM AIWB creates more belt bulge than I like. It is from how the wedge built into the holster interacts with my body currently. My chest to waist ratio is close to 1:1 right now, and a model like the George or a wedge in between that and the standard JM is more ideal.

If these issues resound with you, I would suggest looking at one of Tony's wing claw variants, or a holster built in more the style of a RCS Eidolon. There are a few excellent makers out there creating such.

As to security of attachments:

At one point the soft loop was the best. This was due to the higher likelihood of a fixed kydex loop breaking (though not very high if executed well).

Now that JM is using their own IM split loops, these may be the most secure attachment method full stop.

The metal clip that VDM posted, that Tom of DSG, myself and some others have been using for years is the best easy on and off attachment. No contest. It is great on a belt and it will actually retain a gun on basketball shorts or similarly structured attire.

The soft loop is still excellent as it provides easier off and on than a fixed loop, but a bit of flex and very high security and retention attributes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    If set correctly to the belt width, they will not slide along the belt, but they will have just enough flex that the holster can adjust slightly when you bend or sit.

If you could describe your belt bulge a bit better (see what I did there) we could help a bit more thoroughly.

What is your build and waist size? Chest to waist ratio?
    Haha....think athletic build with a dad-pouch. I'm in 34" jeans and wear a 44R sport-coat. Most of my dress shirts are athletic cut.

When I wear my leather AIWB with a more minimalistic clip it'll conceal a G19 just fine under a normal t-shirt. With the JMCK AIWB you'll see a bulge along the belt as I move about.

When you said that JM is now "using their own IM split loops", what does that mean? Are those soft or fixed? And for the soft, do you typically order ones sized for the belt (1.5" in my case) or do you go up a size and crisscross the loops when you snap them into place?

Sorry for the excessive questions - this thread is great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    There is only one type of clip which I have found to flatten the profile completely while aiding in retention above other metal clips on the market.

It has a backward, belt facing, tooth which grips onto the belt and does not allow the holster to be removed without properly moving the clip off the belt. It also allows for the holster to move around, which is important for certain types of carry applications.

Awesome. Does that metal clip work on the JMCK AIWB? I can't tell from the image which one it is.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Awesome. Does that metal clip work on the JMCK AIWB? I can't tell from the image which one it is.

Thanks...
    Not with the wing claw 2.5.

Other JM Holsters it should, but I would check with JM to make sure.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List