Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Keepers Concealment "Keeper" Review

This is an interesting thread and I appreciate Ob1sbo's honesty.

Here's my take:
    Previously, I had been running a JM Kydex AIWB setup with a single, wide clip mount and foam wedge. My trouble has been that the gun sits very close to the body, low on the belt and won't tolerate a higher ride position without making it "flip-prone" on the belt. I appreciate the JM holster for what it is and have a good string of success with it, however, I 'm after a level of performance that I don't think that piece of equipment will support. I started detailing some this information here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post586821

(I'll add that I still carry my Kahr PM9 in a very low-riding JM AIWB holster.)

After seeing Paul Sharp's Beretta prototype Keepers holster, a lot of things "clicked" for me. Sure, it is ugly and has a few sharp edges and has a higher price point than most folks want to pony up for. Comparing the fit/finish between the holsters is no contest: edges are rounded, softened, etc. on the JM holster and his finish is generally high quality. But that is only a small part of what makes a holster.

The big wins with a Keepers holster in my mind are the following:
    1.) The way in which the sweat guard acts as a slightly offset from the body, making getting a full firing grip possible even when using a big foam wedge.
    2.) The length of the holster allows you to support a very high ride height without compromising stability on the belt. Sure, you may need to drill a few more holes, but c'est la vie

The combination of #1 and #2 allow the user an extremely fast draw without anything to get fouled up on. This is the juice & the entire point of the holster. Everything else is essentially hidden from view and largely irrelevant.

Sharp edge got you down? Hit it with a Dremel and touch it up with some acetone.
    Ride height too low? Drill a few holes and bump that bitch a touch higher.

For those that really know and are willing to work through a few foibles, it is the kit that'll be there when you most need that shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Ob1sbo View Post
    I will have to disagree on quality however.

Im not to crazy about the finishing work on my sample. Granted this is a sample of one. But some of the finishing work, definition and the adhesive used is not were I would want it to be. I also wish the kydex was thicker, especially in regards to the sweat guard. Again, just my opinion though. Some may not care.

Yes, this is all a matter of preferences. All of mine looks exactly the same and I find it just fine. It is not like that specific feature has been executed on other holsters to compare.
    In fact, my 1911 Keeper now looks a lot worse because I thinned that area down.
    As long as holster doesn't break, I prefer thinner kydex, and wraparound tip keeps it very rigid.
    I cut off sweat shield on all my kydex rigs unless I can have it delivered without one from a maker.
    This stuff is quite personal, isn't it.
    Last edited by YVK; 05-29-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

Here's my take:
    Previously, I had been running a JM Kydex AIWB setup with a single, wide clip mount and foam wedge. My trouble has been that the gun sits very close to the body, low on the belt and won't tolerate a higher ride position without making it "flip-prone" on the belt. I appreciate the JM holster for what it is and have a good string of success with it, however, I 'm after a level of performance that I don't think that piece of equipment will support. I started detailing some this information here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post586821

(I'll add that I still carry my Kahr PM9 in a very low-riding JM AIWB holster.)

After seeing Paul Sharp's Beretta prototype Keepers holster, a lot of things "clicked" for me. Sure, it is ugly and has a few sharp edges and has a higher price point than most folks want to pony up for. Comparing the fit/finish between the holsters is no contest: edges are rounded, softened, etc. on the JM holster and his finish is generally high quality. But that is only a small part of what makes a holster.

The big wins with a Keepers holster in my mind are the following:
    1.) The way in which the sweat guard acts as a slightly offset from the body, making getting a full firing grip possible even when using a big foam wedge.
    2.) The length of the holster allows you to support a very high ride height without compromising stability on the belt. Sure, you may need to drill a few more holes, but c'est la vie

The combination of #1 and #2 allow the user an extremely fast draw without anything to get fouled up on. This is the juice & the entire point of the holster. Everything else is essentially hidden from view and largely irrelevant.

Sharp edge got you down? Hit it with a Dremel and touch it up with some acetone.
    Ride height too low? Drill a few holes and bump that bitch a touch higher.

For those that really know and are willing to work through a few foibles, it is the kit that'll be there when you most need that shit...

I dont have an issue working on a holster to make it more to my liking. But if spend a good chunk of money on something I would prefer it to be finished at the shop. These are thing that I think are appropriate to bring up in a review.

I appreciate the review. I do find it somewhat amusing that we can get picky about "fit and finish" of a great quality holster that rides inside our wasteband next to our sweaty junk that no one will ever see. Understanding that a good looking holster is always nice, it is still a tool and some work better than others regardless of the looks. As always YMMV
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 05-29-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks for the well put together response. I will have to disagree on quality however.
    Just know we do it that way for a reason.... its way more about performance... its a Glock holster after all...
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Here's my take:
    Previously, I had been running a JM Kydex AIWB setup with a single, wide clip mount and foam wedge. My trouble has been that the gun sits very close to the body, low on the belt and won't tolerate a higher ride position without making it "flip

Les dude.. if you don't mind pm me some pics of how you have that set up. Me, Parker and Landgon did a the T&E on the 92 and found it had enough ride height so if it needs more Id really like to know!!

And let us know on the sharp spots that is all hand finished so if they are missing some spots we need to know. Thanks man!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Les dude.. if you don't mind pm me some pics of how you have that set up. Me, Parker and Landgon did a the T&E on the 92 and found it had enough ride height so if it needs more Id really like to know!!

And let us know on the sharp spots that is all hand finished so if they are missing some spots we need to know. Thanks man!!
    I'll take some crotch shots later on today...

I dont have an issue working on a holster to make it more to my liking. But if spend a good chunk of money on something I would prefer it to be finished at the shop. These are thing that I think are appropriate to bring up in a review.
    100% agree that you should bring the issues up. Spencer may/may not listen, but that's for him to decide. I think assessing a holster solely on cosmetics is missing half the intended purpose, tho...

I'm not trying to white knight for Keepers, rather, just trying to emphasis the point that the parameters of the design make it work, even if it needs a few tweaks for the end users body, etc...

I'll add that it would be fair to ask "what level of performance wasn't possible from the JM vs Keepers" or etc...
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 05-30-2017 at 10:55 AM.

100% agree that you should bring the issues up. Spencer may/may not listen, but that's for him to decide. I think assessing a holster solely on cosmetics is missing half the intended purpose, tho...

I'm not trying to white knight for Keepers, rather, just trying to emphasis the point that the parameters of the design make it work, even if it needs a few tweaks for the end users body, etc...

I'll add that it would be fair to ask "what level of performance wasn't possible from the JM vs Keepers" or etc...
    Wow, maybe you should do this review (that was said in a non douche manor just in case it came off that way)[emoji28] Thanks so much for the input. I really appreciate the level of participation I have had thus far! I will be addressing my opinions and range experience shortly as opposed to just cosmetic opinions. I agree looks are secondary to performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have holsters for cosmetic reasons...but they are not my daily carry. Comfort/concealment/retention are my priorities for daily use. I don't care what it looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List