Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keepers Concealment "Keeper" Review

Keepers Concealment "Keeper" Review

This is the Part One of my review for the Keeper from Keepers Concealment.

First thing that might jump out at you is the price of the Keeper, its $170. That is pretty steep in today’s AIWB kydex market. For me the Keepers closest competition is JM Custom Kydex and his wedge style holsters that start at $80. JMCK seems to offer the same in terms of concealment and accessories. So what makes this holster $170 value? For the life of me I could not tell you. From what I can tell the holster does not seem to use any standard hardware.

Most of it looks like it more hobby level hardware.

That is not to say it does not work but it does make me wonder where the price is coming from. One of the things most of the Keepers advocates bring up is the patented failsafe of sorts built into the holster. I watched a few of Spencer’s videos and he states that it pulls your finger away from the trigger so you can not shoot yourself. I tried it out and it holds up. I however tried this on a number of my other AIWB holsters and they all seemed to have the same effect in pulling my finger away when re-holstering. So my search for the $170 value continues! Another thing that strikes me when looking at this holster is the complete lack of definition.

The holster doesn’t really seem to have any Glock like appearance. Is that bad? No, not really but for the price I would want a little more out of this premium priced product. Lastly this holster has a full sweat guard that comes almost to the end of the slide. I stress almost because it looks like the guard was intended to cover the rear sight to protect it. It looks like it would have done that just fine if I had standard Glock factory style sights… I however do not and it does little to nothing to protect me from my sights.

Blue Gun for reference (stock sights)

So the first thing I notice when putting the holster on is the folded piece of kydex on the bottom of the holster digs into my thigh and gives me a sharp corner protruding from my crotch.

If I take the wedge off of the holster the protrusion would go away but I just get more rubbing elsewhere. I tried to alleviate the rubbing by giving the holster a slight reverse cant (my preferred orientation). This was a no go for me because adding a reverse cant puts the front strap to close to my belt compromising my draw.

On the note of adjusting the cant, I have noticed that no matter how tight the screws on the loop are the belt loop and holster slowly change position.

It seems like almost every time I take the holster off I have to readjust the loop. This problem may be fixed by going to standard spacers instead of using kydex spacers for the belt loop.

Keeper with kydex spacer

JMCK Holster with standard spacers for reference

Next thing I noticed was the foam wedge that comes with the holster seems pretty soft and does not hold its shape well. I have had this holster for only a few days and it seems to be collapsing already. I would recommend that the keeper go to a more sturdy foam.

So that is pretty much it until I get back from a class I am assisting at tomorrow and some range time! Stay tuned!!
    Last edited by Ob1sbo; 05-24-2017 at 08:43 PM.

As to the hardware its actually a special order the nut has cleats that keep it from turning and the screws have micro serrations to bite into the kydex as you can see if you will get a proper sized screwdriver and tighten them more it will not move. If it continues to move let us know and well send you a replacement loop and hardware. As to the ride height you can go to the lower mounting holes and still have a full grip on the gun. The ride height and cant adjustment is the key to finding a comfortable spot and our holster offers end user adjustment. Everyone is built on an oval and they are all different !! The loop is actually a soiled part, we use a bonding agent that welds the three parts to one unlike most the loops out there and we much prefer it that way. We do have additional foam if needed. but find for most people that one works the best.

As to the cost. it take a lot of time to make one and its skilled labor. we build them one at a time with the thought that this might someday save someone's life!! ( and we have had several now)

Best of luck to you on your writing.

Oh and don't ever think that were getting rich off this.. I could make Way more $ working as a door greater at Wally world...
    Last edited by Prdator; 05-25-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Keepers Concealment "Keeper" Review

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    As to the hardware its actually a special order the nut has cleats that keep it from turning and the screws have micro serrations to bite into the kydex as you can see if you will get a proper sized screwdriver and tighten them more it will not move. If it continues to move let us know and well send you a replacement loop and hardware. As to the ride height you can go to the lower mounting holes and still have a full grip on the gun. The ride height and cant adjustment is the key to finding a comfortable spot and our holster offers end user adjustment. Everyone is built on an oval and they are all different !! The loop is actually a soiled part, we use a bonding agent that welds the three parts to one unlike most the loops out there and we much prefer it that way. We do have additional foam if needed. but find for most people that one works the best.

As to the cost. it take a lot of time to make one and its skilled labor. we build them one at a time with the thought that this might someday save someone's life!! ( and we have had several now)

Best of luck to you on your writing.

Oh and don't ever think that were getting rich off this.. I could make Way more $ working as a door greater at Wally world...
    Its awesome to have you comment! Thank you for the feed back. I may have to take you up on the hardware offer as I have a screwdriver placed out for when I get home (it is appropriately sized). I am curious what makes this wedge superior to something more rigid. I dont know that I want a foam wedge that I have to replace so often. On the note of the nut. I feel it may be unnecessary. I also think using rubber is more friendly to the end user with a negligible downside. My main issue was that the hardware and other aspects of the holster just didnt really seem to match the price point really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ob1sbo; 05-25-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ob1sbo View Post
    Its awesome to have you comment! Thank you for the feed back. I may have to take you up on the hardware offer as I have a screwdriver placed out for when I get home (it is appropriately sized). I am curious what makes this wedge superior to something more rigid. I dont know that I want a foam wedge that I have to replace so often. On the note of the nut. I feel it may be unnecessary. I also think using rubber is more friendly to the end user with a negligible downside. My main issue was that the hardware and other aspects of the holster just didnt really seem to match the price point really.

Shoot Parker an Email on the hardware,

I would disagree completely on the nut and hardware also on the foam wedge, the harder foam tends to come apart and lose the Velcro also for most ( not all though) the harder foam is less comfortable. I look at as a use and replace item. The rubber under the loop is IMHO a really bad idea so we don't use it.

The Keeper is designed and tested to the extreme! That said and like I say in every AIWB skills class it works for most but not everyone that's why we make the Keeper light, and the Shivworks Keeper I also show and talk about most the other manufactures holsters so the students get info on how to shop for one and what to look for them. The goal is to raise the knowledge of everyone concerning AIWB carry. So if you find a holster that works better for you Rock on!!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I would disagree completely on the nut and hardware also on the foam wedge, the harder foam tends to come apart and lose the Velcro also for most ( not all though) the harder foam is less comfortable. I look at as a use and replace item. The rubber under the loop is IMHO a really bad idea so we don't use it.

The Keeper is designed and tested to the extreme! That said and like I say in every AIWB skills class it works for most but not everyone that's why we make the Keeper light, and the Shivworks Keeper I also show and talk about most the other manufactures holsters so the students get info on how to shop for one and what to look for them. The goal is to raise the knowledge of everyone concerning AIWB carry. So if you find a holster that works better for you Rock on!!!
    Shivworks Keeper? Is there a description and pictures on your sight, Spencer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Shivworks Keeper? Is there a description and pictures on your sight, Spencer?

+1

Yes Spencer What is this Shivworks Keeper that you speak of?

Rereading I to am curious about the Shivworks keeper. I am curious if it addresses some of my criticisms.

It'll be on the website soon. It was in one of the last Recoil magazines under what the Pros Cary. Two of the five Pros featured carry our gear. �� It is Taylor built for Craig's specs a G17 Keeper that is a bit thinner than the normal keeper and comes with a split loop. We keep our narrow profile that allows the holster to work with most all bodies and has the ride height and cant adjustments that come with all our holsters.

Until it's on the website shoot Parker an email.

Thanks for the interest!

Quote Originally Posted by Ob1sbo View Post
    Rereading I to am curious about the Shivworks keeper. I am curious if it addresses some of my criticisms.

Bryce I don't think that version of the Keeper will address your criticisms.

User Tag List