Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Office Politics - My most and least favorite game

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If you don't want your boss, your clients, or your wife to see it, don't post it on the Internet.
    I would add that you should not do anything on the internet that you can do anywhere else, especially online commerce. I work with companies who are all about exploiting the data that we all leave behind when we're online. Profit is not the only motive for the people who lead them. A surprising number of these folks care only about learning what can be accomplished with technology, and the profit comes later. There are relatively few Mengeles among them; most just have the moral compass of a boy pulling the wings off of flies.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's all fun and games until somebody files a complaint, but rock on, bro.
    This is true. So, I'm always careful to not make ad hominen attacks or form opinions on entirely baseless groundings. In this particular instance, we had an issue with a peer perceiving their knowledge to be more complete than mine and perceiving that their position in the hierarchy was higher than mine. Neither of those is true. I carefully set the peer straight on the knowledge part. And left the hierarchical part to be sorted by their decision to either agree to join me in changing things or to stay the hell out of the way. It's clear that my peer's decision was to stay the hell out of the way.

By-the-by - given that my peer took her issue public on Bookface, a number of people I respect immensely reached out to me and responded with, "What the hell is that about? It's totally out of line."

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    My Facebook is totally private. I think I even set it to where you can't search for me there.
    I don't think that's possible.

You can set it up where someone would have to send you a private message asking for contact, and you can ignore them, but if you have an account you're findable.

Which is why I haven't sent them scans of government issued photo ID in order to get my account active again. It was cool hanging out with the cool kids, but not that cool...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    By-the-by - given that my peer took her issue public on Bookface, a number of people I respect immensely reached out to me and responded with, "What the hell is that about? It's totally out of line."
    Glad it turned out that way - by trying to make you look bad, the idiot made themselves look worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's all fun and games until somebody files a complaint, but rock on, bro.
    A paper trail for the right reasons is usually:
    - prima facie proof of character
    - an effective deterrent to most of the inept, esp when combined with unsolicited performance kudos from gen public
    - a good exercise in How Things Work for when TSReallyHTF
    - a sign there may be better places to work for you...

What is this Facebook thing, doesn't anyone use friendface anymore?

Site Supporter
    Being a middle-manager in the fed government I've never heard of idiotic office politics or staff that can't get fired. :P (fuck you, OIS)
    Last edited by modrecoil; 05-25-2017 at 09:03 AM.

I have neither the time, nor energy, to worry about office politics. I don't give my opinion unless I'm specifically asked, it's going to make my/my employees lives more difficult, or someone higher up genuinely does not know information that would affect their decision.

But pleigh on, pleighboi...
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This is true. So, I'm always careful to not make ad hominen attacks or form opinions on entirely baseless groundings. In this particular instance, we had an issue with a peer perceiving their knowledge to be more complete than mine and perceiving that their position in the hierarchy was higher than mine. Neither of those is true. I carefully set the peer straight on the knowledge part. And left the hierarchical part to be sorted by their decision to either agree to join me in changing things or to stay the hell out of the way. It's clear that my peer's decision was to stay the hell out of the way.

This is EXACTLY what I mean about taking them out into deep water. I love it when stupid people hammer themselves repeatedly in public.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Brief update:

A non-partisan meeting was held on the topic today during the lunch hour, to promote community discussion. On my way to the meeting, I spotted the Peer in question. She was slipping out the back door, dressed in her yoga gear, and carrying her yoga mat. Clearly, she is very invested...

User Tag List