Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office Politics - My most and least favorite game

Site Supporter
    Facebook privacy settings change like the stock market. If you don't want your boss, your clients, or your wife to see it, don't post it on the Internet.

I look at Facebook once every few months. The worst thing about having a Facebook account is that people expect you to see what they post. I get all kinds of junk notifications from Facebook, but no matter how I set my settings, I will not be notified if someone tries to send a message through Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It's not just the left/"liberals" that use social media as a weapon. I'm not going to name names or point fingers but plenty of right/"conservative" people do the same thing and run to Facebook/Twitter/forums at the slightest hint of perceived offense to rally the troops and start a "war". It's good for pageviews, but I personally find it unseemly.
    Tom, I see your point and don't disagree. I was speaking directly to the specific actions of one person and circumstances at hand. I could have said the same thing without using the term "liberal", in which case my post would've likely drawn less fire. My apologies.
    Last edited by StraitR; 05-24-2017 at 09:38 AM.

I dunno, in a whole lot of situations your guess of them being a lefty is probably the safe one. Depends on what industry is involved.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Now a days if you have a political issue with someone I hear hiring the Russians to wage a cyber war against them is good.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I avoid office politics like the plague. A good portion of the people I work with literally can't be fired, and can say whatever they want to whoever they want. I can be dropped anytime if I pissed off the right people, so I tend to stay silent.
    Oh, you've got them too? We have a guy who's been out injured for over 2 months with "pine-sol poisoning" literally inhaled too much in a janitors closet. This is after being out injured for over 15 of his 20 year career.....

Yet they medically retired a guy for a lower back problem....
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You might apply that to yourself in this case.
    I didn't get into the gory details of this particular instance on purpose. But suffice to say, I'm not interested in quitting anytime soon. The particular thing we are discussing has far reaching impacts that will extend long beyond my tenure here. Some of my colleagues are choosing to ignore it - I'm not. I'm simply making them aware of the painful reality. They can still choose to ignore it, but attempting to silence the messenger won't change the message.

I will say most of my academic colleagues believe they are on the wrong side of the Dunning-Kruger curve when it comes to politics. Some of them are self-proclaimed SJWs who don't know how to politic their way out of a paper bag. I spend probably on the order of half of my time being connected to the politics of my environment. Because it benefits me immensely to have knowledge of as much as possible. - I don't share most of this knowledge, except with a select few very trusted peers, because that turns you into a gossip, not a political player (don't get me wrong, I love gossip too).

Anyways, my colleague has not responded to my last email. I consider them sufficiently moved back to their side of the lane.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    You mean a liberal took offense to a contrarian opinion and instead of coming directly to you, they went straight to social media to rant and attempted to shame you? WHAT?!?!?

Sorry, I'm not trying to downplay your current predicament, because I feel for you, but it's just so status quo. Happy hunting.
    these sorts of silly games are in no way "liberal" only.

Yeah, got it.
    Last edited by StraitR; 05-24-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It's not just the left/"liberals" that use social media as a weapon. I'm not going to name names or point fingers but plenty of right/"conservative" people do the same thing and run to Facebook/Twitter/forums at the slightest hint of perceived offense to rally the troops and start a "war". It's good for pageviews, but I personally find it unseemly.
    People I know, very important people, tell me. "I think I see what you did there".

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They can still choose to ignore it, but attempting to silence the messenger won't change the message.
    It's all fun and games until somebody files a complaint, but rock on, bro.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List