Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office Politics - My most and least favorite game

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, and just so people don't think I'm too self serving, I wasn't making a reference to anything involving the SCD or its supporters/detractors.
    It was just a prime example of something that lots of folks here jump in on.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I avoid office politics like the plague. A good portion of the people I work with literally can't be fired, and can say whatever they want to whoever they want. I can be dropped anytime if I pissed off the right people, so I tend to stay silent.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I probably talk more than I should at work but I don't care, life is too short to argue with some dipshit with a backwards opinion.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Today a colleague took exception to an email I sent around with information (and my opinion) attached to it, regarding some political issues going on our campus.

Rather than send me an email in response though, she chose to (attempt) to publicly chastise me for being unprofessional on Facebook (why? ).

In reading her response it was clear she had misunderstood my position. I wrote her an email clarifying my stance, why I hold it, and why I view this as an important matter. She responded to my email, by chastising me again for being unprofessional, but conceding that I had a point and that a she felt a community discussion about these issues would be good.

So, my response to her continued attempts to take a moral high ground and call me unprofessional, was to say, "I'm glad we both agree these are important issues for our community to address. I look forward to working with you on generating a community discussion and hearing your ideas for how to tackle these problems."

I KNOW that is not what she intended to do, because she has avoided getting involved in this issue for months now. But that's what just happened. Now to find out will this colleague put up or shut up? - I'm okay with either approach, personally. I do find it amusing that some folks just don't know when to quit. It was an email with information and a (mild) opinion attached to it. Of the recipients she was the only one who chose to respond with anything besides, "Thanks for the info."

I admit I derive a pleasure from these types of games. Simply because I am good at them...I really should have been an attorney.
    Thank you for reminding me of one big reason I like being self-employed. I have neither the time nor patience for idiots like this colleague.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I have a strict personal rule of not having current co-workers as Facebook contacts. I think I've broken this rule just once and that was for a coworker who watched my house while I was out of town and accepted a box of 9mm Gold dots as partial payment.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    To my mind, that's a lot of assumptions about things that were not stated in the OP.
    Rob works at a university in Chicago, which makes those assumptions quite valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    To my mind, that's a lot of assumptions about things that were not stated in the OP.
    I based my "assumptions" from the below quote combined with the context of Rob's known profession....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Today a colleague took exception to an email I sent around with information (and my opinion) attached to it, regarding some political issues going on our campus.

Rather than send me an email in response though, she chose to (attempt) to publicly chastise me for being unprofessional on Facebook (why? ).

Maybe we just read that differently.
    Last edited by StraitR; 05-24-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I have a strict personal rule of not having current co-workers as Facebook contacts. I think I've broken this rule just once and that was for a coworker who watched my house while I was out of town and accepted a box of 9mm Gold dots as partial payment.

I had two guys here as FB friends, I still have one and we've gone shooting and mountain biking. Nothing I post will create issues and he's a guy I've loaned $5000 in camera gear on a moments notice. The other is by all means a good intentions guy but he unfriended me a few years back when I was working off site and he had family stuff going on, I think. I was upset for a minute until I realized that I had already set rules to limit what he could view in the first place, as well as rules to exclude my postings from co-workers who were visible to me but not friends. Things have changed since then so a few are blocked.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    My Facebook is totally private. I think I even set it to where you can't search for me there.

So much of what I post is off-color, I'd seem like a monstrous asshole unless you knew my sense of humor.
    Last edited by Chance; 05-24-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I had two guys here as FB friends, I still have one and we've gone shooting and mountain biking. Nothing I post will create issues and he's a guy I've loaned $5000 in camera gear on a moments notice. The other is by all means a good intentions guy but he unfriended me a few years back when I was working off site and he had family stuff going on, I think. I was upset for a minute until I realized that I had already set rules to limit what he could view in the first place, as well as rules to exclude my postings from co-workers who were visible to me but not friends. Things have changed since then so a few are blocked.
    I am not as up to speed on the visibility settings as I should be, but I don't post often. I'm in an academic setting, so it's quite rare for me to find co-workers with whom I have much in common. After I leave a job and Facebook friend my former coworkers, most of their posts just make me want to unfriend them. Based on that, in my situation there seems to be way more downside than upside when it comes to current coworkers. Though as noted there is an occasional exception that is an obvious exception.

User Tag List