Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Princess Di, the royal family, British TV, & other off-topic posts

Those of us who weren't a preteen girl at the time of her wedding probably remember Diana more for her divorce and what came after. She was respected (or reviled I guess, depending) for being open about everything that happened, not quietly going away to save the image of the royal family, and going about her life doing some good charity work.
    And of course being literally hounded to death by paparazzi.
    I sorta vaguely remember the wedding because my sister was obsessed with it, but I'll never forget when I heard about her dying.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Only vaguely remember her death as I was 7. Not really something I would follow at all regardless.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    FIFY
    Well, sure, go be all realistic and negative if you want. It was as real as such a thing gets to be: that is, ignore the real people in the situation and enjoy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Both young men seem like decent sorts.....but Harry, definitely the only guy in the Royal Family I'd "ride the river" with.
    A quick story:

When they were both elementary school age they went along to the home of the Special Air Service with their mother. The Royals and other Govt VIP's go along every so often to show them what will be set into motion to retrieve them, or protect them should the need arise. During the day a young Prince William was heard to say, "I am going to join the SAS when I get older". Smiles all around. A young Prince Harry was heard to reply, "you can't join becasue you are going to be the King, but I can". That young man went on to be a JTAC in Afgahnistan and flew attack helicopters too.

They have both done some extraordinary things which many people would baulk at: Riding small engined motorbikes across South Africa http://people.com/celebrity/princes-...-south-africa/ ; Harry has walked the south pole and got shitfaced in Vegas. William as the future King must be protected and is kept away from such activities, though he rumourdly throws himself into as much trouble as he can, when he can.

since we're totally derailed, as an ex-pat, have you seen the miniseries "The Crown", and can you comment if the representations of the various royal family members are at all accurate? specifically surrounding Prince Philip's also apparent desires to get himself into as much trouble as he could (flying lessons for example were dramatized as causing some consternation in the series.)
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuteur View Post
    when I was a Lance Corporal one of my best mates was an infantry Private who also had a title, how the title is used depends on the person holding it.
    "Shitbird"isn't an official title?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Mother Teresa's biggest sin was dying within 24 hours of Diana. It was wall to wall coverage of Diana. That disparity should give you an idea of society's collective values.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    "Shitbird"isn't an official title?
    Not until "Lance Corporal, third award"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Split out off-topic posts from the UK terrorist attack thread.

mods aren't shit.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuteur View Post
    You never worked her protective detail then!
    So she wasn't a nice person? I know nothing about her, other than landmines and the paparazzi wreck.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List