Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB Long Slide (G34) Group Review and Comparison

Hmmm I see your point. Well I will see if I can find one to review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ob1sbo View Post
    Hmmm I see your point. Well I will see if I can find one to review.

Wonder if any members have one to loan?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Wonder if any members have one to loan?
    Ill take a look around. But I still think my "review" can be valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ob1sbo View Post
    Ill take a look around. But I still think my "review" can be valid.

It will still be valid. Lol.

As far as I can tell you are getting a two-fer from the V-Dev rig. I haven't asked Tom or V, so this is my own logical inference; but it looks like those are DSG/Henry designed-executed to a particular VDM specification.

You can always add more holsters reviewed later, too. [emoji16]

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    It will still be valid. Lol.

As far as I can tell you are getting a two-fer from the V-Dev rig. I haven't asked Tom or V, so this is my own logical inference; but it looks like those are DSG/Henry designed-executed to a particular VDM specification.

You can always add more holsters reviewed later, too. [emoji16]

That was kind of always the plan. I wanted to keep this populated and relevant. My hope is to document my progress and the industries progress. We shall see how that goes...

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    it looks like those are DSG/Henry designed-executed to a particular VDM specification.
    Mine is all mine with the machining outsourced to the most obvious person fit for the task.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Mine is all mine with the machining outsourced to the most obvious person fit for the task.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

AIWB Long Slide (G34) Group Review and Comparison

First Holster I am reviewing is the Keeper from Keepers Concealment. First thing that might jump out at you is the price of the Keeper, its $170. That is pretty steep in today’s AIWB kydex market. For me the Keepers closest competition is JM Custom Kydex and his wedge style holsters that start at $80. JMCK seems to offer the same in terms of concealment and accessories. So what makes this holster $170 value? For the life of me I could not tell you. From what I can tell the holster does not seem to use any standard hardware.

Most of it looks like it more hobby level hardware.

That is not to say it does not work but it does make me wonder where the price is coming from. One of the things most of the Keepers advocates bring up is the patented failsafe of sorts built into the holster. I watched a few of Spencer’s videos and he states that it pulls your finger away from the trigger so you can not shoot yourself. I tried it out and it holds up. I however tried this on a number of my other AIWB holsters and they all seemed to have the same effect in pulling my finger away when re-holstering. So my search for the $170 value continues! Another thing that strikes me when looking at this holster is the complete lack of definition.

The holster doesn’t really seem to have any Glock like appearance. Is that bad? No, not really but for the price I would want a little more out of this premium priced product. Lastly this holster has a full sweat guard that comes almost to the end of the slide. I stress almost because it looks like the guard was intended to cover the rear sight to protect it. It looks like it would have done that just fine if I had standard Glock factory style sights… I however do not and it does little to nothing to protect me from my sights.

Blue gun for reference (stock sights)

So the first thing I notice when putting the holster on is the folded piece of kydex on the bottom of the holster digs into my thigh and gives me a sharp corner protruding from my crotch.

If I take the wedge off of the holster the protrusion would go away but I just get more rubbing elsewhere. I tried to alleviate the rubbing by giving the holster a slight reverse cant (my preferred orientation). This was a no go for me because adding a reverse cant puts the front strap to close to my belt compromising my draw.

On the note of adjusting the cant, I have noticed that no matter how tight the screws on the loop are the belt loop and holster slowly change position.

JMCK holster with standard spacers for reference

It seems like almost every time I take the holster off I have to readjust the loop. This problem may be fixed by going to standard spacers instead of using kydex spacers for the belt loop.

Next thing I noticed was the foam wedge that comes with the holster seems pretty soft and does not hold its shape well. I have had this holster for only a few days and it seems to be collapsing already. I would recommend that the keeper go to a more sturdy foam.

So that is pretty much it until I get back from a class I am assisting at tomorrow and some range time!

Stay tuned!!
    Last edited by Ob1sbo; 05-24-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Excellent detailed initial impression with photos.

We should have a template for this as everyone should do it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

For what it's worth, I think JMCK's holsters have come a long way in the adjustability department.

In 2013-14 when I was using them, you didn't get the cant/ride height adjustment potential that you appear to today. I got my Keeper in mid-2014 and was struck by just how user-adjustable the thing was. At the time it really did seem to offer something that wasn't available from the others. I don't know how true that is now, however, with holsters like the Gestalt and JMCK's improved AIWB available on the wedge-style front.

JMCK's move to all injection-molded hardware is a very good thing, IMO. I've broken two Keeper split loops through normal use (Spencer was prompt with the replacement as I recall).

User Tag List