Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Kydex Rocks!

Cleveland Kydex Rocks!

I ordered a custom Kydex OWB holster for my Sig 320C .45 with Crimson Trace CMR-201 laser attached from Cleveland Kydex, and wanted to share what a joy it was dealing with this 100% American, family owned business.

Dale contacted me promptly to touch bases after I placed my order, and insure that all of my requirements were met. He expressed some concern that the fit would be exact with the .45 incarnation of the 320. As a result, he offered to make and send the holster to me for free, so that I could sample it and insure that it was everything I had hoped for. Who else does that these days?!

I was also wondering if the holster would be able to accommodate the CMR-201, as the side paddle activation switches present a problem with most holsters due to their location, and how easily they can be bumped into switching on. I consider the location both handy for the trigger finger to reach easily, as well as an Achilles heel in design due to the exposed positioning.

The holster arrived, workmanship is excellent with top drawer materials, and built to last a lifetime. The fit and retention is perfect, it is an extremely comfortable holster to wear, and there is zero problem with the laser accidentally activating while inserting, carrying, and withdrawing.

Communication was always lightening fast and friendly. I'll be using Cleveland Kydex to supply many of my other handgun holster and light/knife sheath needs in the future. Nice to see a business doing things the right way. It is very evident that they want to satisfy and keep you as a life long customer.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

I know you are super excited about your holster, so please don't take this as me trying to dog on it; but in the spirit of learning an knowledge.

Most experienced kydex wizards will not use kydex loops for attachments like those. The reason is that they WILL break eventually.

It looks like he used the right thickness material for them, so they may have a good service life. But you need to be regular in checking for cracks on those loops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    ... in the spirit of learning an knowledge.

Most experienced kydex wizards will not use kydex loops for attachments like those. The reason is that they WILL break eventually.
    What do they use?

Injection molded loops. Far stronger and less susceptible to material fatigue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Injection molded loops. Far stronger and less susceptible to material fatigue.

Yes, injection molded loops are softer than kydex and therefore stronger in relation to the constant flex holster belt loops are subject to as you move around.

Thanks for the post.....I just ordered one of their OWB holsters for my P320C....

Will let you know how it works out.

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

I appreciate the feedback. I have holsters with injected molded polymer, Kydex, steel, woven, and leather loops. Some of them are decades old. Haven't had any undue wear and tear on any but the fabric ones, so I guess mine aren't subjected to massive amounts of abuse that would cause such breaks. I don't see these loops breaking, at the very least not during normal range use and daily conceal and carry.

Excellent information however, and thank again for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelS. View Post
    I don't see these loops breaking, at the very least not during normal range use and daily conceal and carry.

Excellent information however, and thank again for posting it.
    Lots of stuff plays into it. The edge finishing, or lack of, on those loops is a little concerning.

Also factoring into the fatigue that breaks kydex loops is belt tension and body shape. Depending on where things are worn the holster on you may not be flexing as much as on someone else.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Lots of stuff plays into it. The edge finishing, or lack of, on those loops is a little concerning.
    That was the first thing I noticed. Those belt loops would tear the shit out of a leather belt's surface.

The angle that first belt loop comes into the holster body is also obscenely sharp. There's a reason high end holster makers are using (or offering) angled belt loops, to make it easier to route and not put so much pressure on the loop.

It does not look like a high quality product to me. There are too many good holster makers out there to even give this a 2nd look.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-24-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Photobucket has become draconian, and is now forcing you to pay to link your photos. I'm reposting the images here as the original links no longer work. Goodbye Photobucket, hello Flickr!

IMG_20170522_183926_993

IMG_20170522_183843_724

IMG_20170522_183829_732

IMG_20170522_183808_971

User Tag List