Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "I would buy a modern Webley"...

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I've owned 2 Webleys; one is .38 S&W and a MkIV in .45 acp, birds head grip. I loved them both and always wished there were modern versions. I really wish Webley as founded was still in business. I would like one in 9mm for moon clip use. As a 9mm it could be overbuilt without being over large and keep the short OAL of the original.
    That makes a huge amount of sense. A 9mm Webley (or, for that matter, a GP100...) married to modern 9mm cartridge technological advances could make for a formidable revolver.

A high quality, break-top revolver reloadable via sturdy moonclips or Comp III-type speedloaders in the hands of a Jerry Miculek could be very, very interesting.

Even Nyeti/Dagga Boy might want one. And it would certainly hip enough for Tam.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-30-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    It might work. Since the day of the service revolver has been over for a good while, if they were to make these, 99% of them would never see a 1,000 rounds. .38 or .44 Special would be good. (Or .41 Special.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblie View Post
    I can't recall exactly but around $1400 for the .455 and close to $900 for the .38 S&W.
    Correction: The .38 is $549
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It might work. Since the day of the service revolver has been over for a good while, if they were to make these, 99% of them would never see a 1,000 rounds. .38 or .44 Special would be good. (Or .41 Special.)
    Can we get S&W or Ruger to chamber the 686 or GP 100 in .41 special? Maybe a .40 special/rimmed so we can use the same bullets. Maybe I'm dreaming, the hey day of the revolver is long past.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 05-31-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Can we get S&W or Ruger to chamber the 686 or GP 100 in .41 special? Maybe a .40 special/rimmed so we can use the same bullets. Maybe I'm dreaming, the hey day of the revolver is long past.
    As an aside, I would love to see Ruger and Smith & Wesson submit 150 different models of revolver *each* to the California DOJ for addition to "The List". A .40 Special Rimmed would be a great part of that.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Would a .41 special be dimensionally similar enough to something else that there be a risk of people blowing up 19 century guns with it?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Well Starline has the brass for the .41 Special...

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/41-Special/

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Uwe Janz claimed to be taking orders on a magnumized, metric top break Webley at IWA 2017. However, the only importable post-1898 top break Webley is the Fosbery. Century Arms used to bugger them with a hammer block safety, but no such feature is evident on the Janz replica. I lucked out on a Mark V, but normally they are verboten pursuant to a drop test ATF instituted in 1986.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    Uwe Janz claimed to be taking orders on a magnumized, metric top break Webley at IWA 2017. However, the only importable post-1898 top break Webley is the Fosbery. Century Arms used to bugger them with a hammer block safety, but no such feature is evident on the Janz replica. I lucked out on a Mark V, but normally they are verboten pursuant to a drop test ATF instituted in 1986.
    Thanks, Michael-your contributions are always welcomed for their detail and knowledge.

Best, Jon

User Tag List