Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "I would buy a modern Webley"...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    So, why would I buy a $10,000 reproduction
    It's not something you buy in lieu of a Webley. It's something you buy, because you already have a stack of Webleys and a Webley-Fosbery in your collection. And it's also not a "reproduction" Webley, it is a seriously updated, bespoke gun.

Put another way, you can ask, "Why would I spend $125,000 on a custom Porsche 911. When an off-the-lot Volkswagen Beetle will get me from Point A to Point B just fine? Afterall, Porsches are just fancy VWs..." That is simply not the point.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-26-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    I think it's more like why would I pay $125,000 for a custom, new production beetle when I can buy an unmolested original, but thank you. I do hear your point.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's not something you buy in lieu of a Webley. It's something you buy, because you already have a stack of Webleys and a Webley-Fosbery in your collection. And it's also not a "reproduction" Webley, it is a seriously updated, bespoke gun.

Put another way, you can ask, "Why would I spend $125,000 on a custom Porsche 911. When an off-the-lot Volkswagen Beetle will get me from Point A to Point B just fine? Afterall, Porsches are just fancy VWs..." That is simply not the point.
    The concept of bespoke goods seem to confound a lot of otherwise very intelligent, rational people.

*Disclosure: I make bespoke items. It is a sometimes weird place to be as a business.*

If I were farther down Maslow's Pyramid, I'd hit that Anderson Wheeler like the fist of an angry god.
    (and also make sure they did a better job of fitting the front of the grip panels.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    How much are they asking on either?
    I can't recall exactly but around $1400 for the .455 and close to $900 for the .38 S&W.
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblie View Post
    I can't recall exactly but around $1400 for the .455 and close to $900 for the .38 S&W.
    Thanks. That's quite a lot out of my range of consideration. I'm more in the lower end worn finish/shooter grade range.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Thanks. That's quite a lot out of my range of consideration. I'm more in the lower end worn finish/shooter grade range.
    You can get a shaved .455 Webley for a lot less. But then you're going to pretty much be stuck with either handloading .45s or buying an adapter ring so that you can shoot .455.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

These are both very nice guns. I don't know enough about them to know if they are priced appropriately. The store has a refinished S&W model 1917 that I want even more. I may have to unretire myself and get a job.
    Last edited by Wobblie; 05-27-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    You can get a shaved .455 Webley for a lot less. But then you're going to pretty much be stuck with either handloading .45s or buying an adapter ring so that you can shoot .455.
    Yes, I watch them now and then on GB.

I could be quite content loading Webley level loads in AR cases. Would only require cases and appropriate diameter bullets, I already have the 45 auto dies, and I guess bullet molds if I wanted to start casting again. The WWII DA only 38s may be the value for a basic shooter though.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I could be quite content loading Webley level loads in AR cases. Would only require cases and appropriate diameter bullets, I already have the 45 auto dies, and I guess bullet molds if I wanted to start casting again. The WWII DA only 38s may be the value for a basic shooter though.
    I looked into it a while back. If my memory is correct, there was an issue with the chamber throats being tighter than the bore. So Webley bullets have an open base, so that bass will expand and grip the rifling.

There was a one-bullet mould that would throw the right bullets, but it cost something north of $100. The bullets are available as components from somewhere, but a few years ago, they cost about $35 for 100.

Maybe I was overthinking it, but it seems like too much of a hassle.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I would like a cartridge Lemat on a Webley top break. Imagine the joy of a full moon clip with 9 .44 and a 20-28 guage buckshot in the center.
    Don't threaten me with a good time!

User Tag List