Thread: HITS First Responder training this past weekend

HITS First Responder training this past weekend

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend this past weekend the First Responder Pistol class put on by Wayne Dobbs, and Darryl Bolke from Hardwired Tactical Shooting or HITS. I'm not ex-military or LE, but just a regular guy who likes to learn and enjoys shooting. I'd say compared to that vast majority on the forum I am really a newbie when it comes to firearms. Most of the other guys who were in the class were pretty experienced so it was a little intimidating and I pretty much just wanted to keep up. One guy who I will call Joe and is a pretty well know knife maker was one of the most accurate shooters I have ever seen, thankfully I was't next to him because that would have been depressing no matter how well I shot. So I just tried to keep my mouth shout as to not say anything to stupid, and give myself away, lol.

I won’t go through in detail every drill as many other class reviews have done this, there are other post like this one I linked that is pretty good in terms of specifics. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....21-August-2016. Suffice it to say, we covered A LOT of information in 2 full days of training and because of the relatively small class size, we got tons of personalized work with both Wayne and Darryl which really was awesome.

Wayne and Darryl both bring incredible “real world” experience but what was refreshing is both were very down to earth and genuinely really good guys. You can tell they really enjoy the teaching aspect of what they do. They were very approachable and were patient with every question that was brought up. The other thing that is very obvious is that they are excellent teachers. Everything they discussed was very well thought out, explained in thorough detail and explained as to why, how, and application of things in the real world of violence and how to solve problems in the heat of the moment. Anytime their “problem solving” techniques were questioned in applying it in a different way, they were excellent in walking through the “process” of a given technique and illustrating pro’s and con’s and why or why not it would be the best solution. Everything they did there was a reason behind why they taught something and it was so much more impactful for me as opposed to being told just to do something a certain way without the explanation of the why. Good sign of a great teacher.

What was really interesting is that just about every problem solving drill we’d run, they would have a very personal story of how it applied during a real world scenario and a testament to them is that during their careers, they explained how many of the early ways of training as evolved to much better and efficient approaches to problems solving in today’s world. They've clearly have adapted to the evolution tactics in shooting scenarios.

As far as the training is concerned, Wayne and Darryl base a great deal of the two days around assessing the threat or multiple threats, and how to eliminate that threat in the most precise, efficient way. Both have been involved in multiple shootings, and Darryl has actually spent a good part of his career in training and evaluating real life shootings. This experience is unique in that all the training is based on the ramifications of doing things in a very efficient manor vs doing things in which an attorney would have a field day in court because you just dumped a bunch of rounds in a bad guy. One of the favorite drills they teach is the failure drill. Big emphasis on precise, fast but controlled shooting.

We did a ton of shooting, probably a little more than normal due to the size of the class. Fortunately everyone in the class was pretty experienced in shooting so Wayne and Darryl ratcheted up the drills and we touched on some more advanced skills they teach which was a bonus.

We did all the malfunctions drills, and drills utilizing a weapon light. This was pretty good stuff as Darryl has probably some of the best experience in that in the industry of working in night time setting in using a light. Darryl introduced us to the “dentist” which was his old police light that was more weapon than light, pretty funny stories behind that one. We spent a good bit of time on movement and shooting as well, close quarter shooting and ran a bunch of different qualification drills from all types of distances. They varied from very close quarters to 25 yards in different drills.

Both Wayne and Darryl bring different aspects to their training. Wayne is a fantastic shooter, (Darryl is pretty darn good as well). Wayne worked us through a bunch of different qualifying drills, proper technique in shooting,grip, trigger control, etc., where Darryl worked a lot of some of the close quarter, weapon light tactics. Both were very involved the whole time and were able to give everyone individual attention when needed. My training going forward will be very purpose driven and will incorporate a lot of the drills we ran.

Overall this was excellent training and would highly recommend to anyone who is looking for that second level of pistol training. I hope to take their advanced pistol course in the fall. I thought one of the best aspects was the way they weaved in the training with real world examples of their experience. With the two of them you really get a two for one in the sense that it was part pure shooting coupled with lots of tactics. I know this review doesn’t really do it justice but the bottom line is if you want to train and learn with guys with extensive real world experience, that actually apply everything they teach in real world situations, and have the ability to articulate very clearly the concepts they are teaching, and who truly enjoy what they do, than this is a class for you.
    Last edited by Dismas316; 05-22-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks for posting this. I had the opportunity to attend their block of instruction at TacCon and was duly impressed. May yet make the trek out to DFW for a class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was really annoyed that I couldn't make this class, especially since I have a pistol that runs now. I had to drive back to MS from OH Friday and couldn't make it to Dallas in time for class.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    ..... One guy who I will call Joe and is a pretty well know knife maker was one of the most accurate shooters I have ever seen, thankfully I was't next to him because that would have been depressing no matter how well I shot. So I just tried to keep my mouth shout as to not say anything to stupid, and give myself away, lol.

I was the old blind guy with the limp, that shot on Joe's left. Don't think of it as depressing, think of it as motivating you to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I was really annoyed that I couldn't make this class, especially since I have a pistol that runs now. I had to drive back to MS from OH Friday and couldn't make it to Dallas in time for class.
    John, you missed a great class, we had a lot of fun. We'll look forward to shooting with you in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I was the old blind guy with the limp, that shot on Joe's left. Don't think of it as depressing, think of it as motivating you to do better.
    You were a trooper Bill to be on your feet for 2 days with a broken bone in your foot, not to mention shooting next to JW.

I was really disappointed that I couldn't attend this too. To add insult to injury the event that kept me from going was cancelled Friday.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I had the opportunity to attend their block of instruction at TacCon and was duly impressed. May yet make the trek out to DFW for a class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me too. I keep hoping someone will host them closer to home.

I've got to finish a BS degree I'm working on, but when that's over, one of my graduation presents to myself will be a trip to see the folks at HiTS. They're in my top 3 of "must train with" and I'd like another trip to Texas. Added bonus is all this is already approved by my wife.

OP, thanks for the write up.

Thanks for the kind words. We really enjoy the actual teaching part of this. This class was fun because it was small. Best part was that Wayne and I got to shoot a lot of the drills on the line with the students, which is always fun for us. Great class, and the safety aspect was the best we have ever had.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List